Newbie Mistakes

Old September 8th 07, 03:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

Default Newbie Mistakes

I'm making them all, I think. Here's a good one: I bought a fancy
pistol-grip cutter with oil in it. Some leaked out overnight because
the screw was loose. I tightened it but had oil on the cutter and
some on my hands. It didn't seem to hurt my grip much so I didn't
bother to wash everything off. Every little glass chip stuck to my
hands and the tool like glue and I ended up with a bunch of tiny cuts
on my hands. What an idiot. Haha.

Another mistake I remember from way back long ago when I built a dozen
or so windows. Doesn't matter that I remember it. I'm still doing
it. I am getting a design 98% right and then failing to clean up a
couple weaknesses, like deep inside curves or very tiny pieces.

Michael

Old September 8th 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

On Sep 7, 7:26 pm, Michael wrote:
I'm making them all, I think. Here's a good one: I bought a fancy
pistol-grip cutter with oil in it. Some leaked out overnight because
the screw was loose. I tightened it but had oil on the cutter and
some on my hands. It didn't seem to hurt my grip much so I didn't
bother to wash everything off. Every little glass chip stuck to my
hands and the tool like glue and I ended up with a bunch of tiny cuts
on my hands. What an idiot. Haha.

Another mistake I remember from way back long ago when I built a dozen
or so windows. Doesn't matter that I remember it. I'm still doing
it. I am getting a design 98% right and then failing to clean up a
couple weaknesses, like deep inside curves or very tiny pieces.

Michael

I keep very little, if any, oil in my cutters. On a new cutter, I'll
put in a tiny bit to get the wick saturated and then that's about it.
For my students, I keep all the cutters in a small square tupperware
container that has a couple layers of paper towels in the bottom which
are saturated with oil. So...everytime you grab a cutter, there's a
little oil on the wheel. As for the two cutters I use, I seldom even
dip them in oil anymore. Not sure what you mean about your design
though....failing to clean up deep inside curves or tiny pieces?

Andy

Old September 9th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

Andy wrote:

Not sure what you mean about your design though....failing to clean up
deep inside curves or tiny pieces?

**************
What I mean is that I should alter the design to shallow up the deep
inside curves and eliminate ultra-small parts wherever possible
without detriment to the design.

And thank you for the recommendations on cutting back on the oil on
the cutter. I notice mine seems to squeeze out a small amount every
time I press down on it.

Michael

Old September 9th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

"Michael" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm making them all, I think. Here's a good one: I bought a fancy
pistol-grip cutter with oil in it. Some leaked out overnight because
the screw was loose. I tightened it but had oil on the cutter and

Just because there's a place for oil, doesn't mean you have to use it. I
find they drip and are too juicy for me, so I just dip them every 10 cuts or
so.

--
JK Sinrod
www.SinrodStudios.com

Old September 9th 07, 11:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Javahut[_4_]

"Michael" wrote in message
ups.com...
Andy wrote:

Not sure what you mean about your design though....failing to clean up
deep inside curves or tiny pieces?

**************
What I mean is that I should alter the design to shallow up the deep
inside curves and eliminate ultra-small parts wherever possible
without detriment to the design.

And thank you for the recommendations on cutting back on the oil on
the cutter. I notice mine seems to squeeze out a small amount every
time I press down on it.

Michael

Michael, tried to send you an email at that address above, but it got
bounced back, got a quote for you on the mold for the DF...and more!!

Old September 9th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

Javahut,

Whoops! My email address is miker_zspider at yahoo.com. I'll be on
travel down in Atlanta this week and next (home on the weekend) but I
will have internet access.

To all: Do you know where I can look at all the Odyssey lamps
online? I can only view a limited selection at the online glass
stores I know of.

Thank you, Michael

Old September 10th 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Javahut[_4_]

oups.com...

Yup, go here and explore http://www.mosaicshades.com/ody2005/index.html

Old September 10th 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

On Sep 8, 5:52 pm, Michael wrote:
Andy wrote:

Not sure what you mean about your design though....failing to clean up
deep inside curves or tiny pieces?

**************
What I mean is that I should alter the design to shallow up the deep
inside curves and eliminate ultra-small parts wherever possible
without detriment to the design.

Michael

Yeah but are you ding that just to make the project esier and quicker
to do? I've done a ton of window designs that had prety deep inside
curves and lots of pieces that were half the size of a dime and even
smaller. Detail can make a project look very nice.

andy

Old September 10th 07, 11:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

Andy wrote about me reducing deep curves and small pieces:

Yeah but are you ding that just to make the project esier and quicker
to do? I've done a ton of window designs that had prety deep inside
curves and lots of pieces that were half the size of a dime and even
smaller. Detail can make a project look very nice.

*******************
The deep curves I try to eliminate because I am afraid they increase
the fragility of the final product. I have had two cases of really
small pieces. The one I left as is appears to be a poorly thought out
design. The one I eliminated was probably a nice detail. Batting a
thousand, aren't I?

Michael

Old September 11th 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

On Sep 10, 3:30 pm, Michael wrote:
Andy wrote about me reducing deep curves and small pieces:

Yeah but are you ding that just to make the project esier and quicker
to do? I've done a ton of window designs that had prety deep inside
curves and lots of pieces that were half the size of a dime and even
smaller. Detail can make a project look very nice.

*******************
The deep curves I try to eliminate because I am afraid they increase
the fragility of the final product. I have had two cases of really
small pieces. The one I left as is appears to be a poorly thought out
design. The one I eliminated was probably a nice detail. Batting a
thousand, aren't I?

Michael

It really depends on how deep the curve is and how much glass is left
past the deepest part of the curve. You can also feed in some restrip
if you're using foil or use reinforced lead if you're using lead. You
might try coloring in the design with colored pencils before even
start cutting glass...sometimes it gives me a better idea as to what
the project is going to really look like plus it's a good time to make
any changes if need be. No one bats 1000!! No even Barry Bonds!!!