Mac Virus

Old August 23rd 03, 08:12 PM
SlinkyToy

Default Mac Virus

There are some bugs going around right now that spoof the originating
email address. Chances are that you're in somebody's (Outlook)
address book, that person has a virus, and the virus plugged your
address into the "from" field.

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 11:12:30 -0700, Laura Sullwold
wrote:

Has anyone contracted a virus on their Mac that sends out messages from
their email to people they don't know? I received 3 mailer-daemons on my
hotmail account. All the messages were addressed to people I don't know.
Two contained files which Hotmail claimed had viruses. I was wondering if
this had happened to anyone else.

Laura

Old August 23rd 03, 10:05 PM
yodi

sounds like you got the "sobig" virus (worm). I don't use Mac, but there
must be a site you can go to for help on getting rid of the worm. It must
be a program that inserted itself into your system registry.

I just got rid of the "lovesan" worm. These people who create these worms
must have no lives.

Old August 23rd 03, 10:59 PM
Katherine Burgess

"yodi" wrote ...
sounds like you got the "sobig" virus (worm). I don't use Mac, but there
must be a site you can go to for help on getting rid of the worm. It must
be a program that inserted itself into your system registry.

I just got rid of the "lovesan" worm. These people who create these worms
must have no lives.

Unfortunately, they DO have lives - the purpose of which is to make ours
miserable.
Katherine

Old August 24th 03, 02:44 AM
Jenn Vanderslice

I'm not a Mac user, but what Slinky mentions happened to us several
weeks ago and it amounted to about 100 emails a day from mailer-daemons
telling us we bounced emails and had a virus! It was the most annoying
thing since the idiot tech support guy at our ISP kept trying to tell us
that WE had a virus. When we finally talked to one of the heads of the
ISP, they took a look at the headers to the emails and said it wasn't
us...that our address was being used in the the forwarded emails. After
exactly one week, it all stopped as abruptly as it started....but I
suspect that our ISP put some kind of end to it. We had threatened to
change ISPs if they didn't do something. We use a small mom & pop
internet service, so generally they're very good about taking care of
their customors.

Wait it out...the emails will stop...eventually....

Jenn- feeling Laura's pain

--
ÐÏࡱá

Old August 24th 03, 05:18 AM
Els van Dam

Has anyone contracted a virus on their Mac that sends out messages from
their email to people they don't know? I received 3 mailer-daemons on my
hotmail account. All the messages were addressed to people I don't know.
Two contained files which Hotmail claimed had viruses. I was wondering if
this had happened to anyone else.

Laura

=====

I have a Mac but have had no trouble with this or any other worm, virus or
whatever.

Lucky..

Patricia

No I have in all the years we have a mac, never picked up a virus.

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))
Old August 25th 03, 06:11 PM
Allaya Diep

What sort of a connection do you have? If your computer and connection is
up all the time and you're sure you don't have a virus, somebody could have
hijacked your email address for spamming. In either case, you should
contact your ISP and see what sorts of issues they've been experiencing
lately.

Allaya

Old August 25th 03, 10:58 PM
Cher

Hi All, Mac and Windows users can get a free online scan at
www.pc-cillin.com it takes a while to load up all the dll's needed for
some, but it'll take care of it for you. I go there regularily as well as
using AVG antivirus. which scans mails and ng's.

HTH.....Cheers.....Cher

Old August 26th 03, 02:32 AM
Laura Sullwold

I appreciate everyone answering me on this. Since it hasn't happened this
that day, I have realized it was probably MSN Hotmail that got hit and was
feeling the backlash. Thanks, Cher, for the website.

Laura

Warning: Christmas virus Joan E. Needlework 3 December 22nd 04 06:21 PM
Warning: Christmas virus Joan E. Needlework 0 December 21st 04 09:35 PM
New virus Julia in MN Quilting 0 February 27th 04 06:19 PM
New VIRUS warning Monique Reed Needlework 160 September 29th 03 12:13 PM