OT exercise? anyone?

Old June 23rd 09, 03:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default OT exercise? anyone?

I keep my blood pressure down ten points by exercise. I keep it down 60
more points by not going back to work ever again. Since most of you can't
retire just to lower your blood pressure, I was wondering what sort/form (if
any) exercise you do regularly 'just for you'.
We call it jogging although my Swamp neighbors have doubts about it -
but Yogi and I walk about a mile every day. He has to stop and do a lot of
sniffing for buffalo or turtles. I have to stop and watch the squirrels,
budding, blooming and ant bed industry or whatever.
Do you have an exercise routine? A gentle one? I don't want to have to
call a wrecker truck to get me out of a contortion. Just want to know what
you do to keep in shape for serious quilting. Polly

Old June 23rd 09, 04:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

I do all my own yard work, house cleaning, maintenance other than
electric and plumbing, keep the car washed and polished, and run up
and down the stairs constantly for this and that. My dog is crippled
from a birth defect and can't go on walks, so we play at home. Of
course, I could go on walks without her . . .
Old June 23rd 09, 04:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_2_]

Yoga. I just bought a beginner DVD. But before that I just do a lot of
stretching. Don't forget the exercise the hands, wrists and fingers.
Need to keep them limber for sure. I've also heard that meditation helps
a lot but it's impossible with two little ones around here. Maybe when
they are older.
Joanna

Old June 23rd 09, 05:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
onetexsun

I walk a mile just about every other day on my treadmill. Boring. I
watch some kind of DVD while I go. It takes me the full next day to
recuperate. I'm not sure it's doing the trick for my BP this time
around. But it's better than nothing.

I'm also headed back to the exercise class I used to take when I first
realized I wasn't superwoman. It's designed for women recovering from
breast cancer, but they realized it's good for anyone needing gentle,
rhythmic exercise to help pain and keep muscle tone. I quit because I
was very down for a while and couldn't handle even that much exercise.
But I'm desperately in need of dropping 10 pounds. It's that or double
knee surgery. And the exercise class helped me with that last time.

Sunny
Old June 23rd 09, 05:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Hey, any kind of exercise has got to be better than double knee surgery. .
.. or stroke.
I used to really enjoy an exercise tape (this was before DVD) that was
tap-dancing. Even the little folks here liked to dance and make lots of
noise. I think my Lawrence Welk days are over.
Just wondered what you did that qualified as exercise that you enjoyed.
Okay. Maybe not 'enjoyed'. How about are willing to do come hail or high
water? Polly

"onetexsun" wroteI walk a mile just about every other day on my treadmill.

Old June 23rd 09, 05:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Yogi can't do long walks in brutal heat. Sometimes he says "that's all" and
I carry him back home. He thinks he's Entitled and thinks I need to do
weight-training. Poll

"Mary" wroteI do all my own yard work, house cleaning, maintenance other

Old June 23rd 09, 05:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Joanna, enjoy the little ones around there. They'll be grown just before you
can blink. Exercise can come later. Trust me. Polly

"Joanna" wrote Yoga. I just bought a beginner DVD. But before that I just

Old June 23rd 09, 05:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd[_3_]

I walk at least 1 mile on the treadmill at least 6 days a week with speed
set at 2-3mph (start at 2 and increase until I get to 3 usually takes 10
minutes) and incline set at 3-5 with random changes. I've tried the
elliptical and bike but my knees don't tolerate those.

--
Mary
http://community.webshots.com/user/m...host=community

Old June 23rd 09, 05:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Polly Esther wrote:

I keep my blood pressure down ten points by exercise. I keep it down 60
more points by not going back to work ever again. Since most of you can't
retire just to lower your blood pressure, I was wondering what sort/form (if
any) exercise you do regularly 'just for you'.
...snipped....

I belong to Curves and go 3 times a week -- mostly. The workout is
about 25 to 30 minutes and I HATE IT. Exercise is horrid and I truly
hate it and resent having to do it. I probably wouldn't feel this
strongly if it wasn't an absolute necessity. I don't loose weight -- 30
minutes 3x a week just isn't enough for me to loose -- that requires a
minimum of 60 minutes of VERY strenuous exercise at least 6 times a week
AND a maximum of 800 calories a day!! I'm just hoping to keep my
skeletal problems and the arthritis at bay for as long as possible.
Keep the ol' ticker a bit healthier, too.
All of that being said, if you have to belong to a "gym" Curves is
the place to join. There is a small mirror on the wall behind the
check-in desk (no where near the machines, etc.) at my Curves and
written on it is...."No Men, No Makeup, No Mirrors" which is what I like
about it. There are women of all ages and shapes and sizes and we all
just go through the routine and do our 30 minutes and then beat feet
outta there! VBS, gettin' old ain't for sissies -- LOLOL! CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old June 23rd 09, 05:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

800 calories? Good Lord have mercy! What is that? One cracker? But,
yes. 'At bay' I guess is what I exercise for. Polly

"Tia Mary" wrote I belong to Curves and go 3 times a week -- mostly.