OT Show Gratitude

Old July 21st 09, 05:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd[_3_]

Default OT Show Gratitude

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSfFYxSdKdo

--
Mary
http://community.webshots.com/user/m...host=community
Old July 21st 09, 05:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

On Jul 21, 12:09*pm, "maryd" wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSfFYxSdKdo

--
Maryhttp://community.webshots.com/user/mardor1948?vhost=community

wow, Mary, someone did that to my son at an airport some years ago.(He
was in his Marine uniform) he just nodded and we went on our way. i
never knew what that meantand didnt think to ask. thank you.

amy in CNY

Old July 21st 09, 06:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

Hi Mary,

I've always just come out and said it, to heck with being awkward!
But thanks for the tip. ;-)

Doc

Old July 21st 09, 11:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_6_]

That's cool - I hadn't seen that before. Along those lines, I want to share
what happened to DH over the past couple of weeks. He was serving in the
Honor Guard for a deceased veteran (WWII or Korea, I'm not sure which).
Prior to the service, one of the attendees commented on one of the badges DH
wore on his uniform and said he had that one as well. DH asked if he had
been in Viet Nam, and the man said no, he'd been in WWII. DH told the man he
didn't look like he could be old enough to be a WWII veteran and then said
he (DH) had served in Viet Nam. With that, the man looked at him, made a
kind of indignant sound, and said words to the effect of, "Well, if you
didn't serve in WWII, then you didn't serve in a war." He told me later it
had been a long time since anyone had been so nasty about his serving in
Viet Nam - and he didn't like it any better now than he did years ago!

Contrast that with a few days before that when he went to the library, but
it wasn't open yet. He saw a young man (about 13) sitting on a bench and
asked if he could join him. They struck up a conversation, talking for about
15 minutes. During that time, DH mentioned he had been in the service. Bless
his heart, the boy asked if he'd been in Iraq. DH laughed and said no, that
he was too old for Iraq and that he'd served in Vietnam and that he'd been
career military. Before long the doors opened, and they went in to the
library and on their separate ways. About 10 minutes later, the young man
searched out DH again and said, "I'm leaving now, but before I do, I want to
thank you for your service." Wow, DH was about blown away. He's always made
it a point to approach service members and thank them for their service, but
for a 13-year-old to do that really meant a lot to him.

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsi dot com

ers2...

Old July 22nd 09, 01:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dealer83

On Jul 21, 11:09*am, "maryd" wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSfFYxSdKdo

--
Maryhttp://community.webshots.com/user/mardor1948?vhost=community

Oh, I love this! Our son has 19+ years in the Army and has been in
Iraq twice and Afghanistan once. I get teary everytime I see a
service man or woman. My husband was in the Viet Nam war and I never
thought my son would have to go to war. HIstory just keeps repeating
itself and it doesn't get any easier to say goodbye, wether it's to a
husband or a son. Thank you so much for posting this. Donna
Old July 22nd 09, 01:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd[_3_]

You're welcome, Donna. My husband's number didn't come up for Viet Nam and
our sons did not join the military. Thank your husband and son for me.

Old July 22nd 09, 02:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Thank you for the link.
I often come across active or retired service members at work, and I
always try to say "thank you for serving".
My only nephew enlisted in the Army in November 2008 and is now in
Korea. His mother [my little sister] just cannot wrap her mind around
it and resents his choice. How sad she doesn't say "thank you", that
because of our service people we live in a society where we can
basically express our opinions freely.

Ginger in CA

Show and Tell Beadbimbo Beads 15 January 18th 08 06:11 PM
A big show and tell from me... Barbara Forbes-Lyons Polymer Clay 15 April 3rd 07 10:08 AM
Show Guide for the Knitting and Stitching Show at Ally Pally/NEC Penny Gaines Yarn 0 September 12th 06 04:02 PM
Show and Tell! Black Cat Beads Beads 29 May 12th 04 12:37 AM
Deepest gratitude Karen Williams Johnson Quilting 15 October 16th 03 12:55 AM