OT exercise? anyone?

Old June 23rd 09, 04:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

Default OT exercise? anyone?

I exercise.

Mostly I do it at home - we put a bike on a stand and made a stationary
bike out of it and we have a rowing machine. Both are low impact to fit
your "gentle" requirments.

I have hand weights and quite a few different exercise dvd's - to keep
from getting bored with just one. Our local library has quite a
collection too, maybe something to look for at your library?

Our local PBS station has a show called Classical Stretch - she has some
good stretches! She talks too much for me, but her stretches are really
good so it's worth looking for on tv.

Lately I have been taking a low impact exercise class through parks and
rec. It's a little too gentle for me, but getting out of the house and
talking to real people is probably a good thing ;-) What does your park
and rec or adult ed program offer?

marcella

In article ,
"Polly Esther" wrote:

I keep my blood pressure down ten points by exercise. I keep it down 60
more points by not going back to work ever again. Since most of you can't
retire just to lower your blood pressure, I was wondering what sort/form (if
any) exercise you do regularly 'just for you'.
We call it jogging although my Swamp neighbors have doubts about it -
but Yogi and I walk about a mile every day. He has to stop and do a lot of
sniffing for buffalo or turtles. I have to stop and watch the squirrels,
budding, blooming and ant bed industry or whatever.
Do you have an exercise routine? A gentle one? I don't want to have to
call a wrecker truck to get me out of a contortion. Just want to know what
you do to keep in shape for serious quilting. Polly

Old June 23rd 09, 04:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Get yourself a long drink, then sit down here and do the following:

sit in chair with NO ARMS
sit up straight as possible
(WORK up to 10 repeats 2/3 times a day for ALL the following)
1: hang arms down by your sides (loosely goosey)
swing both arms in SAME direction
yes, SAME direction (helps your concentration--mind exercise)
now swing them the OTHER way
2: Bend arms at elbows
(Do the following one arm at a time)
swing arms from left to right at waistline (10 repeats)
make a fist and then bring arm from wait to shoulder (10 times- starting
with 3 repeats and working your way up) gradually add weights--no more than
10 lbs--I'm at 2 for R and 1 for left)
3:Arm straight by side once again--palm OUT
slowly lift arm up and over head and touch ear--R arm touches L ear etc
4: Bend arm at elbow.
slowly reach behind your back as far as possible and HOLD to count of 5
5: arms in comfy position your doing HAND exercises now:
Make fist, hold, then gradually, slowly, relax hand
hands out flat
6: point fingers to ceiling and then floor-repeat

now for legs/lower back (I'm limited here)
1; Stand straight --hang onto something if you need to keep your balance
put one leg behind you toes STRAIGHT--not off to side
stretch leg until you are on your tiptoes.slowly try to lower your
heel--hold to count of 10==starting with count of 5
now the other leg
2: Put leg in front of you
bend toes toward ceiling and hold (you can also do this exercise when
sitting in a recliner--long as your leg is straight)

Ok, now do ALL of these, starting with ONCE a day up to 3 x's a day. You
have 8 months to get there.

now YELL HOLLER JUMP UP AND DOWN AND/OR SPIN in your chair for me

I'm DONE DONE DONE with PT.

Butterfly (Still won't be on here much as the Butterfly Studio needs a bit
of painting and then we'll be done--then I'll catch up on all of you'ns)

Old June 23rd 09, 04:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"Polly Esther" wrote:

I keep my blood pressure down ten points by exercise. I keep it down 60
more points by not going back to work ever again. Since most of you can't
retire just to lower your blood pressure, I was wondering what sort/form (if
any) exercise you do regularly 'just for you'.
We call it jogging although my Swamp neighbors have doubts about it -
but Yogi and I walk about a mile every day. He has to stop and do a lot of
sniffing for buffalo or turtles. I have to stop and watch the squirrels,
budding, blooming and ant bed industry or whatever.
Do you have an exercise routine? A gentle one? I don't want to have to
call a wrecker truck to get me out of a contortion. Just want to know what
you do to keep in shape for serious quilting. Polly

I do tai chi, Polly. I happened upon it sort of by accident, and I've
finally found a form of exercise (very gentle) that I love. It's very
good for balance, which is important to me, since I have osteoporosis
and really don't want to risk a fall. G I usually do it about three
times a week.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old June 23rd 09, 04:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Patti wrote:

Oh, good grief!

What a fantastic achievement Tutu. More than two hours running ... ...
I shall have to go and have a cup of tea to recover from the thought.

Well done you, though. Marvellous.

I'll echo what Pat said. And I'll join her for that restorative cup of
tea!

.
In message , Tutu Haynes-Smart
writes
At risk of being drummed out of the group, I have to confess that I am a
runner - have been for nearly 30 years. Don't run races any more, but still
plug along 6 days a week for anything between 60 and 150 mins.

Old June 23rd 09, 05:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

My turn, I guess..
i joined the local Planet Fitness in January. but not by choice. it
was part of my x-mas bonus from my boss, he's a Dr.
and very excersize minded.

so, i go, 3-4 days a week after work and once on the weekends if my
gas tank allows and i come into the city.
i dont do any of the electrical machines except the treadmill for 20-
30 minutes. then on to the weight machines for another 30-40 minutes,
or i do the 30minute workout. very rewarding when i finish, getting
there is a struggle.

I also do a little gardening and of course...clean my own house, car
and am in the process of painting a couple rooms.

my BP is under control with medicine, my thyroid is controlled by
medicine and my weight has not changed. i am finding that my clothes
are getting loose, but by far not falling off me!

my goal is to see my feet again....long way to go!

VBS

amy in CNY

Old June 23rd 09, 05:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd[_3_]

If I tried to run, I would be in the hospital with blown knees so I stay
with walking.

--
Mary
http://community.webshots.com/user/m...host=community
"Tutu Haynes-Smart" wrote in message
At risk of being drummed out of the group, I have to confess that I am a
runner - have been for nearly 30 years. Don't run races any more, but
still
plug along 6 days a week for anything between 60 and 150 mins.

--
Cheers for now
Tutu

Old June 23rd 09, 06:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

I walk 3 miles, 3 days a week, and have been taking a Yoga class for a year
now - twice a week. Our teacher is in her 60's and quite an inspiration.
She insists that we only do what we feel comfortable doing...so there's no
chance of hurting ourselves. I think I'm the oldest in the class, and I can
hold my own against the "youngsters"!! This morning during our "relax and
breath" portion, the fire alarm went off, and we all had to leave the
building and stand around in the parking lot!!

--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu

Old June 24th 09, 01:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carole-Retired and Loving It

The community where I live has fitness instructors who come here - $3
a class, or $32 a month for all classes. SO....On Mondays I take
"Fitness Yoga" and "Zumba." Tuesdays, I take "Low impact
cardio/strength" and "Water Aerobics." Thursday is another class of
"Low impact cardio/strength with a different instructor. Friday is
another class of "Fitness Yoga," followed by "Water Aerobics." I do
not miss a class unless I'm running a fever or out of town. It is
scheduled on my calendar like an appointment. I also walk on our
nature trails. It balances out all the sitting down with quilting! I
agree that retirement was the best answer to lower the blood pressure,
though!

I also have Wii Fit, but I use it more in the months that we don't
have water aerobics.

Old June 24th 09, 05:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C.

Tutu Haynes-Smart wrote:
At risk of being drummed out of the group, I have to confess that I am a
runner - have been for nearly 30 years. Don't run races any more, but still
plug along 6 days a week for anything between 60 and 150 mins.

Hey Tutu,

I won't drum you out, but I will say I admire anyone who can do that.
:-) That's fantastic!

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think runners are "born"; not "made".

Best regards,
Michelle in NV
Old June 24th 09, 05:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C.

Hi Polly,

Imo, housework, gardening, and other extraneous chores and projects
count (lately we've been laying tile). I am by no means a couch potato.
That said, when the weather is nice, I go on leisurely walks and bike
rides as the mood hits. Sometimes, if I don't have any projects going
on, I do some light weight-lifting.

I've found for myself, that I need just the right amount of exercise to
feel good. Need to be up and moving, but if I overwork, I feel icky for
days. My bp is low, like 90/60, and if I work too hard, it gets lower.
Yikes! Then I feel bad. Go figure!

Best regards,
Michelle in NV