Help Finding New Soldering Torch

Old July 2nd 08, 04:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Des

Default Help Finding New Soldering Torch

Hi, I'm new to this group and hope for some advice.

My problem is this: I ordered my first torch a few years ago. A Smith
propane/air set-up that they no longer sell. I also discovered
(recently) that the torch size I've been using is more suited to
annealing than fine soldering work (I can't believe I've been able to
create anything with the monster tip I've been using). Armed with this
knowledge, I embarked on a quest for my new torch. After having the
daylights scared out of me regarding propane, I opted for an acetylene/
oxygen combination. So, I ordered the oxy/acetylene/Smith Little torch
combination from Rio Grande. I received it today and was shocked at
how small the torch is. It seems just too small (much smaller than the
torch being used in the jewerly class I took recently).Disappointed
and concerned I just conducted some more research online and have read
that the Little Torch oxy/acetylene combination is probably the worst
set-up you can possibly have.
With that in mind, I will be packing up this new torch and returning
it. But I still don't know what gas and torch to choose. I want the
most versatility that I can get. I'm not sure if I should get an oxy/
propane set up (and should I go for the Meco Midget in that case?) or
should I call up my plumber and have him work on fixing some pipes so
that I can work with Natural gas (though I have no idea how the oxygen
tank would come into the picture). I just want a versatile set up that
has a mid-size torch and is safe (my cat does hang out in the
basement, which is where I do my jewelery work).
Old July 2nd 08, 05:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
mbstevens

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 20:36:03 -0700, el Des punched in:

[...]

What a crock those articles were!
That torch is excellent for many
jewelry operations.

With that in mind, I will be packing up this new torch and returning
it. But I still don't know what gas and torch to choose. I want the most
versatility that I can get. I'm not sure if I should get an oxy/ propane
set up (and should I go for the Meco Midget in that case?) or should I
call up my plumber and have him work on fixing some pipes so that I can
work with Natural gas (though I have no idea how the oxygen tank would
come into the picture). I just want a versatile set up that has a
mid-size torch and is safe (my cat does hang out in the basement, which
is where I do my jewelery work).

Keep your Little Torch. Get a Y manifold for the acetylene
and add a hose with an air-acetylene torch on the end.
(Goss, Prestolite, etc.)
You will be able to do anything from fusing gold to
soldeiring large silver pieces.
--
mbstevens
Old July 2nd 08, 04:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
elm

On Jul 1, 11:36=A0pm, Des wrote:
[...]

=A0With that in mind, I will be packing up this new torch and returning
it. But I still don't know what gas and torch to choose. I want the
most versatility that I can get. I'm not sure if I should get an oxy/
propane set up (and should I go for the Meco Midget in that case?) or
should I call up my plumber and have him work on fixing some pipes so
that I can work with Natural gas (though I have no idea how the oxygen
tank would come into the picture). I just want a versatile set up that
has a mid-size torch and is safe (my cat does hang out in the
basement, which is where I do my jewelery work).

I recently got a Smith Little Torch and am using an oxy/propane setup
(the small 1lb. tanks) and LOVE it. I got a few different tips for it,
but haven't switched from the tip it came with and have done fine
soldering, a bit of fusing, and melted down some scrap for molds. The
hardest thing to get used to was the sound--it's super-quiet. I was
previously using basically a small, hand-held creme brulee torch (also
can't believe I was able to create much with that). I have 2 kitties
who are always rightthere while I'm working, and all fur is still in
place.

Erin
blog: http://e-maille.blogspot.com - See the new Flags of the World
collection!
http://www.e-maille.com
"Check your e-maille!"
Old July 2nd 08, 04:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

Des wrote:
[...]

I agree. That torch is mostly useful for small work. Not for "general"
jewelry fabrication. Mine has been sitting in a drawer for the last 25
years. A totally useless tool in my studio.

With that in mind, I will be packing up this new torch and returning
it. But I still don't know what gas and torch to choose. I want the
most versatility that I can get. I'm not sure if I should get an oxy/
propane set up (and should I go for the Meco Midget in that case?) or
should I call up my plumber and have him work on fixing some pipes so
that I can work with Natural gas (though I have no idea how the oxygen
tank would come into the picture). I just want a versatile set up that
has a mid-size torch and is safe (my cat does hang out in the
basement, which is where I do my jewelery work).

If you have access to it, IMO natural gas is the best. You can then
combine it with compressed air (mouth blown, bellows or compressor) or
oxygen.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old July 3rd 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Graver

On Jul 2, 11:23=A0am, Abrasha wrote:
Des wrote:
[...]

I agree. =A0That torch is mostly useful for small work. =A0Not for "gener=

al"
jewelry fabrication. =A0Mine has been sitting in a drawer for the last 25
years. =A0A totally useless tool in my studio.

=A0With that in mind, I will be packing up this new torch and returning
it. But I still don't know what gas and torch to choose. I want the
most versatility that I can get. I'm not sure if I should get an oxy/
propane set up (and should I go for the Meco Midget in that case?) or
should I call up my plumber and have him work on fixing some pipes so
that I can work with Natural gas (though I have no idea how the oxygen
tank would come into the picture). I just want a versatile set up that
has a mid-size torch and is safe (my cat does hang out in the
basement, which is where I do my jewelery work).

If you have access to it, IMO natural gas is the best. =A0You can then
combine it with compressed air (mouth blown, bellows or compressor) or
oxygen.

--
Abrashahttp://www.abrasha.com- Hide quoted text -

I started out using a Prestolite tank in the 70,s for doing silver
work. I then moved into the Hoke torch using propane and Oxygen. I now
use natural gas, and found that having a "Y" connector I can use both
the larger Hoke torch along with the the Micro Medgit without having
to lose time. I can appreciate someone using one torch for everything,
but I just feel better having the micro torch for very fine wire work,
28, 30ga gives me more control.

Mark
Old July 31st 08, 07:42 AM
Lakers Lakers is offline
Member

I have been waiting for about 5 days now but the shipping times are 10-19 days. As soon as I get them I will let you know. I have not seen you on that forum for a long time now and I was wondering where you are? How did it go with the collection that you got? Here is the link to the beads again http://www.liangdianup.com/beadscrafts_1.htm and here is the link to the Swarovski beads http://www.liangdianup.com/inventory/900020.htm if those links don't work then you can goto www.lducompany.com and click on the beads picture, that should take you right there. I hope you see this message and get back to me cause I miss talking to you
Old August 13th 08, 03:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
ol3_m3

On Jul 1, 10:36=A0pm, Des wrote:
Hi, I'm new to this group and hope for some advice.

My problem is this: I ordered my first torch a few years ago. A Smith
propane/air set-up that they no longer sell. I also discovered

tank would come into the picture). I just want a versatile set up that
has a mid-size torch and is safe (my cat does hang out in the
basement, which is where I do my jewelery work).

I learned on and use a air/acetylene torch from smith, the Smith
Handi Heat.
You can get a number of tip sizes from #00 to #4. Have used this
torch for all sizes
of items from large dinnerplate belt buckles down to 24 gauge jump
rings that I pick solder
for chain. Check online for Smith torch dealers, and you might want
to go to a local welding supply shop
instead of a jewlers supply as the cost should be less.

No connection to Smith welding products other then using their torch

OM

Old August 14th 08, 11:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
John

On Aug 12, 10:12 pm, ol3_m3 wrote:
On Jul 1, 10:36=A0pm, Des wrote:

[...]

Rio Grande -- www.riogrande.com

Excellent jewelry equipment company, also sell gems and findings and
multiple other supplies.

John

John Atwell Rasmussen
Geologist, Gemologist
www.rasmussengems.com

debating pros and cons of harris 19-6 Torch Handle, wt040018 gloor light torch handle, and smith little torch bizHB Jewelry 2 July 16th 06 05:45 AM
Want a Soldering Torch for cheap? (not an ad) Kathy N-V Beads 10 March 11th 05 09:00 PM
a problem with soldering... and a torch question. Des Bromilow Jewelry 1 September 4th 04 10:25 PM
Torch Gas Karin Cernik Jewelry 4 August 15th 04 01:21 AM
Towards the Torch.... Sjpolyclay Beads 25 January 6th 04 03:02 PM