dye question

Old August 26th 03, 05:34 AM
Els van Dam

Default dye question

My friend, who is visiting from Toronto, and i have been dyeing the last
few days. We have done some great natural dyeing. One dye pot with the
Osage wood from helen. did you know helen that it is family of the
mulberry tree, and that ilk worms will also eat the leaves of this tree.

We got lovely yellows, without any mordant. We dyed with the fermanbuk,
and indigo, also the lichen, and tummeric (curcuma longa) this dyes a
lovely cannary yellow, no cooking, just stir it was hot water. by the way
we only dyed wool with it. When we added two table spoons of amonia it
became a wonderful wine red colour. The dye with the lichen gave deep
purple and when I added mohair, in this month old dye pot it dyed
instandly. We ended up with a riot of colours.

Here comes the question. Helen you may know the answer. We are going to
warp paint rayon and silk warps. I was under the impression that you have
to have two different kind of dyes to dye these two fibers. However my
friend thinks not, she uses procion MX dye for both fibers.

Helen or anyone else, with chemical knowledge help us out.

Sleep well guys and good morning to all the others on the other side of
the world

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))
Old August 26th 03, 07:33 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 21:34:41 -0700, (Els van Dam) wrote:

My friend, who is visiting from Toronto, and i have been dyeing the last
few days. We have done some great natural dyeing. One dye pot with the
Osage wood from helen. did you know helen that it is family of the
mulberry tree, and that ilk worms will also eat the leaves of this tree.

Wow! I had no idea!

We got lovely yellows, without any mordant. We dyed with the fermanbuk,
and indigo, also the lichen, and tummeric (curcuma longa) this dyes a
lovely cannary yellow, no cooking, just stir it was hot water. by the way
we only dyed wool with it. When we added two table spoons of amonia it
became a wonderful wine red colour. The dye with the lichen gave deep
purple and when I added mohair, in this month old dye pot it dyed
instandly. We ended up with a riot of colours.

Red with turmeric? WOW! I know some Indian grocery shops where I can buy it
dead cheap....

Here comes the question. Helen you may know the answer. We are going to
warp paint rayon and silk warps. I was under the impression that you have
to have two different kind of dyes to dye these two fibers. However my
friend thinks not, she uses procion MX dye for both fibers.

Silk can be dyed with either, they say. See my other message for my
problems though. I must say, I bought some silk yarn that I think was dyed
with it and it kept bleeding through many washings. I still have not dared
to knit with it. I've bought rayon dyed with it that didn't misbehave,
though. Best to check the Dharma Trading web site for all the info:
http://www.dharmatrading.com/

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Old August 27th 03, 06:33 AM
Els van Dam

In article ,
wrote:

| On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 21:34:41 -0700,
(Els van
Dam) wrote:

We did the dyeing today, but nobody brought silk so we did not need to try
it either. I will go and do some research on it. My feeling is that you
better stick with dyes fro special fibers, thus protein fibers will need a
different dye than celulose fibers, etc.

The natural dyeing has been a great succes. I also found that the colours
dyed differently on different fleeces as well. Fun that. I will take
some pictures of it and post them.

I read about the Osage, being family of the Mulberry tree in my dyeing
history book from Italy.

The turmeric gave a reddish brow dye when you added to table spoons of
amonia to the dye bath.

Els