Sweater front placket-help please!

Old August 6th 07, 03:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

Default Sweater front placket-help please!

Oh, and I think if the number of stitches in the placket correspond to
the rows in the sweater, then you're probably right.

Could those 5 extra stitches be intended for the collar? I just
finished a baby jacket that had 5 extra stitches at the end of the
neck edging that were meant to be knitted into a 3 inch strip that was
then sewn to the back of the neck and attached to the other side of
the front, to continue the edging. I can't imagine how your stitches
would be used (that's 10 stitches all together that aren't accounted
for), but do the collar instructions refer to them in any way?

Hesira

On Aug 6, 8:21 am, myswendy wrote:
You guys are amazing!~ My doll is actually a Sofia doll by Madam
Alexander. The sweater snaps up the back.

I am starting to think that the writer of this pattern messed up here
in the graph. Jeez. Here's a close-up of the placket in the graph. No
13 stitches! GRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is exhausting! Shows what
a mess poor directions can make of the loveliest pattern.

http://tinyurl.com/ysb8wm

Wendy
A Knitting Fool in Connecticut

Old August 6th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 13:21:59 +0000, myswendy wrote:

You guys are amazing!~ My doll is actually a Sofia doll by Madam
Alexander. The sweater snaps up the back.

I am starting to think that the writer of this pattern messed up here in
the graph. Jeez. Here's a close-up of the placket in the graph. No 13
stitches! GRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is exhausting! Shows what a mess
poor directions can make of the loveliest pattern.

http://tinyurl.com/ysb8wm

Wendy
A Knitting Fool in Connecticut

No way! That graph only shows 7 stitches in the design. If you enlarge the
picture of the dolls and look closely at the placket you can quite clearly
see that there are 6 white stitches showing. Assuming (and this agrees
with the collar pattern) that every alternate stitch is worked in blue
then that would give 6 white stitches and 7 blue stitches. There would be
7 blue ones because the first and last stitches (as well as every
alternate one in that row) would be blue. That is your total of 13. I
think that graph is either incomplete or just a mistake.

When you have finished it Wendy, I'd be inclined to write to the pattern
makers pointing out the errors in their print and keep detailed
instructions yourself for the way it should be. Then if you ever decide to
work that pattern again you won't have any problems with it.

Bernadette

Old August 6th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy

On Aug 6, 10:03 am, hesira wrote:
Oh, and I think if the number of stitches in the placket correspond to
the rows in the sweater, then you're probably right.

Could those 5 extra stitches be intended for the collar? I just
finished a baby jacket that had 5 extra stitches at the end of the
neck edging that were meant to be knitted into a 3 inch strip that was
then sewn to the back of the neck and attached to the other side of
the front, to continue the edging. I can't imagine how your stitches
would be used (that's 10 stitches all together that aren't accounted
for), but do the collar instructions refer to them in any way?

Hesira

Well, like I said, the foolish written directions aren't worth the
paper they're printed on. I will check. Oh my.......... a hornet just
swooped past my monitor....Ummmmm. be right back!

Old August 6th 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy

On Aug 6, 10:14 am, myswendy wrote:
On Aug 6, 10:03 am, hesira wrote: Oh, and I think if the number of stitches in the placket correspond to
the rows in the sweater, then you're probably right.

Could those 5 extra stitches be intended for the collar? I just
finished a baby jacket that had 5 extra stitches at the end of the
neck edging that were meant to be knitted into a 3 inch strip that was
then sewn to the back of the neck and attached to the other side of
the front, to continue the edging. I can't imagine how your stitches
would be used (that's 10 stitches all together that aren't accounted
for), but do the collar instructions refer to them in any way?

Hesira

Well, like I said, the foolish written directions aren't worth the
paper they're printed on. I will check. Oh my.......... a hornet just
swooped past my monitor....Ummmmm. be right back!

I am SOOOO frustrated! I have been in communication with the author of
the pattern, but she honestly has not been of as much help as I would
like. I think she wrote this pattern several years ago and has moved
on to other things. She acknowledges that the directions are subpar
but has not changed them yet. My head is spinning around like in "The
Exorcist". I will check out what you have advised, Hesira, when I am
not working (yes, supposed to be as we speak!) and have the pattern in
front of me. To be continued.

Old August 6th 07, 05:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Jan[_2_]

"myswendy" wrote ...

I am SOOOO frustrated! I have been in communication with the author of
the pattern, but she honestly has not been of as much help as I would
like. I think she wrote this pattern several years ago and has moved
on to other things. She acknowledges that the directions are subpar
but has not changed them yet. My head is spinning around like in "The
Exorcist". I will check out what you have advised, Hesira, when I am
not working (yes, supposed to be as we speak!) and have the pattern in
front of me. To be continued.

By now, I think all (even the designer) would agree you have a faulty
pattern so you'll have to just do what looks right to you.. As others have
said, the photo shows the placket to be 13 stitches. Calculate how long
that would be and make your own judgment as to whether that would look right
compared to the picture.
--
Jan in MN

Old August 6th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy

On Aug 6, 12:11 pm, "Jan" wrote:
"myswendy" wrote ...

[...]

Thanks so much! Yah, what a shame. Paid bucks for an on-line "book" of
these gorgeous patterns. I only hope the other ones aren't so messed
up as this one. Sigh. You all are wonderful. What a resource! Thank
you, one and all! I'll post the finished product (if I ever get there!
LOL!)

PP from the front nzlstar* Quilting 9 June 20th 07 11:31 AM
front fly zipper hemant Sewing 1 May 20th 06 11:00 AM
quiet on the HUG front? Morag in Oxford Quilting 15 February 16th 06 12:19 AM
AD: If you are looking for front clasps Shirley Shone Beads 1 May 2nd 05 12:17 AM