Pattern deciphering

Old April 4th 04, 07:11 AM
Sorceress

Default Pattern deciphering

I'm working on a new project and the directions are -- to put it kindly --
less than crystal clear. Tell me what you folks think.....

=============================

The pattern stitch is defined:

Multiple of 4 + 1
R.S. K1 (P1, K3) to the end
W.S. P1 (K1, P3) to the end

And the note: "Pattern stitch looks the same right and wrong side"

My opinion: I swatched it 3 times, unless I am a victim of a rather
egregious error, it doesn't look the same on both sides. Even Himself could
tell that the front and reverse were completely different. Heh.

Comments?

==============================

Down at the bottom of the pattern is a "graph" of the stitch:

k = ()
p = []

Graph of the pattern stitch:

2.r -- ()()()[]()()()
()[]()()()[]() -- 1
| |
4 sts repeat

Unless I'm looking at this thing in a very odd way, the "4 sts repeat" on
the graph is obviously incorrect. I also hate when they give charts with
incomplete repeats.

Row 2 also seems to be charted with the Ks and Ps reversed -vs- the written
out directions.

Comments?

=================================
Extending the graph for 2 full repeats;

If I adjust the symbols to match the written out directions, I get:

2.r -- []()[][][]()[][][]
()()()[]()()()[]() -- 1

Multiple of 4 + 1
R.S. K1 (P1, K3) to the end
W.S. P1 (K1, P3) to the end

Comments?

==================================

Again, extending the graph for 2 full repeats;

If I adjust the written out directions to match the original graph, I would
get:

2.r -- ()[]()()()[]()()()
()()()[]()()()[]() -- 1

R.S. K1 (P1, K3) to the end
W.S. K1 (P1, K3) to the end

Comments?

==================================

And then the really big question: Which set of instructions is the
"correct" set that I should follow? The written out directions, or the
original graph? Bleh! Am I missing something blatantly obvious here?

Thanks for any input you may have!

--
Regards
--Anne

Blogging to be found at http://www.emptycauldron.com/weblog/musings.html

Remove DIESPAMBOTDIE to e-mail
Old April 4th 04, 08:00 AM
Slinky

I'll agree that won't look the same from both sides. I use 3-1 rib
all the time on my sock tops and actually prefer the "wrong" side for
texture but use the "right" side when I'm using self-patterning yarn.

Other than the comment written by an editor who obviously doesn't knit
what's the problem?

Old April 4th 04, 03:35 PM
Sorceress

Slinky opined thusly:

Other than the comment written by an editor who obviously doesn't knit
what's the problem?

The main problem I see is that the stitch graph on the page does not match
the written out stitch pattern instructions, and I don't know which is the
"correct" sequence of stitches/rows.

Old April 4th 04, 04:06 PM
Slinky

Ahso. Check the publisher's website for errata?

Slinky opined thusly:

Old April 4th 04, 05:40 PM
Sorceress

Slinky opined thusly:

Ahso. Check the publisher's website for errata?

[snipped]

Yup. No errata that I could find. And of course the picture on the pattern is
too small for me to get a hint of what the correct pattern is. I suppose I'll
swatch out the charted pattern and just decide which I like the best. Heh.