Type of wood for doll house/components

Old May 11th 04, 06:17 PM
carino

Default Type of wood for doll house/components

Just joined this interesting group. I have completed the shell of a
two storie dollhouse. I used 3/8 plywood as suggested by the author
of a book. Now, I have visited craft stores and was really suprised to
learn the high price of components for dollhouses. I would like to try
making them myself.

I would appreciate it if anyone would provide me with locations where
I can purchase basswood or any other type of soft wood to construct
these components. I am currently doing the roof out of 2 X 4 red ceder
which I am cutting to 1/16 X 2 x 5 which I purchase from a supply
store. What I want to do next are the doors, windows and siding of the
house. I have boxes and boxes of hard wood pieces left over from
projects which I intend to use to make furniture.

In reading some posts, I learned there are very experience and capable
members who have been building all types of dollhouses and components.
I am asking for your advice and suggestions on how to proceed. Oh, the
ratio of the dollhouse is 1 to 12.

Thank you in advance for your kind attention. Carino
Old May 12th 04, 01:04 AM
Chuck

On 11 May 2004 10:17:15 -0700, (carino) wrote:

Hi Carino, and Welcome.

I would appreciate it if anyone would provide me with locations where
I can purchase basswood or any other type of soft wood to construct
these components. I am currently doing the roof out of 2 X 4 red ceder
which I am cutting to 1/16 X 2 x 5 which I purchase from a supply
store. What I want to do next are the doors, windows and siding of the
house. I have boxes and boxes of hard wood pieces left over from
projects which I intend to use to make furniture.

Depending on where you are (continent, country, state/province/shire,
etc.) you may find that there are miniature supply shops near you.
However, for online shopping, you can get a pretty good selection of
miniature lumber at
www.micromark.com

Not only that, but they have a good selection of tools for working in
miniature, and I think in a couple of weeks or so their summer sale
should be starting.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Old May 12th 04, 02:43 AM
Carol

"carino" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Another source for wood is http://www.northeasternscalelumber.com/ You
might also try a railroad hobby shop.

Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

Old May 12th 04, 09:34 PM
Garth

For siding I used Wood veneer. I bought a piece 12" x 8' and cut it into
strips for the siding. It is an iron on product. With the left overs I
used them for hard wood floors by ironing it on to card. Even made one
double sided that can be flipped. It slides in under the base board.

m...

Old May 12th 04, 10:10 PM
havana bill & holly

Why could you not make your component pieces out of the hardwoods? It would
certainly be more impressive and probably less expensive than basswood.
"carino"wrote

Old May 13th 04, 09:13 PM
carino

Are the components not painted? By "components" I mean the windows,
shutters, roof and siding. I apologize for not being up on the proper
terms. Making them out of hard wood and painting them would negate the
use of this type of wood. Perhaps I am not understanding. Thank you
all for offering your valuable and useful information. Carino

Old May 14th 04, 08:03 PM
Patrick

I think what they were suggesting is that since you already have boxes of
hardwood scrape, use it! Why go out and spend more money on wood if you
have plenty. You will find that not "all" wood is good (prototypical) for
scale furniture--the grain, etc., is not to scale and will look bad. That
is the stuff to use for your trim, door frames, etc., and paint that stuff.
Besides, upscale homes and old homes that have not been coated under layers
of paint, originally had hardwood stained trim.

But if you really want to find basswood at a fair price, then in two weeks
check out a new site going on line called woodbythebundle.com. No, not all
wood in a bundle is in quantities of 40-50 pcs., door and window casing
comes in a 6-pack and base board in a 7-pack--enough trim to finish a
project with and a little extra to experiment with.

Patrick

m...

when is wood dry holmsy Carving 8 February 1st 05 08:08 AM
3-D Wood Carving Machine A.T. Carving 0 August 28th 03 05:39 AM