OT - That caramel recipe

Old January 20th 05, 08:44 PM
Johanna Gibson

Default OT - That caramel recipe

Hello,
This is from my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, so I will put
American terms on the left and UK terms in parentheses. I didn't
weigh things as I went, so I hope the UK folks interested have a US
measuring cup in the house!

Caramels:

1 cup butter (a standard package of butter in the UK is very close to
one American "cup". Take out one or two big spoonfuls and that's
close enough)
1 16-ounce package (2 1/4 cups) packed brown sugar (dark brown sugar)
2 cups light cream (single cream)
1 cup light corn syrup (treacle)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Line an 8x8x2 or 9x9x2 baking pan with foil, extending foil over
edges of pan. Butter foil; set aside.
In a heavy 3-quart saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add brown
sugar, cream and corn syrup; mix well. Cook and stir over medium-high
heat to boiling. Carefully clip a candy thermometer to the side of
the pan. Cook and stir over medium heat to 248 degrees Fahrenheit
(firm-ball stage), which should take 45-60 minutes. If you have no
candy thermometer, keep a glass of ice water handy, and drop a bit of
the caramel mixture into the water to test - it will form a ball that
holds its shape when it has reached the firm-ball stage.
Remove the saucepan from heat; remove thermometer. Stir in vanilla.
*Immediately* pour caramel mixture into the prepared pan. When
caramel mixture is firm, use foil to lift it out of pan. Use a
buttered knife to cut into 1-inch pieces.
Makes about 2 pounds.
I then melted some dark chocolate, using a bowl set over a pan of
shallow, simmering water. I used a teaspoon to put a dollop of
chocolate on each one, and then went back and sort of dolloped
chocolate onto the sides. It's not beautiful, but no one has
complained so far!
Obviously, if you like nuts, put those into the bottom of the pan
before you pour the hot caramel mixture into the pan. Had I been
organized, I would have bought some almonds. Next time...

-- Jo in Scotland
Old January 21st 05, 12:49 AM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Johanna Gibson wrote:

Hello,
This is from my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, so I will put
American terms on the left and UK terms in parentheses. I didn't
weigh things as I went, so I hope the UK folks interested have a US
measuring cup in the house!

snip

Oh, this sounds *delicious*! Thanks! I'm going to try to get brave,
since I"ve never made candy before. g
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old January 21st 05, 01:09 AM
Johanna Gibson

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 23:49:35 GMT, Sandy Foster
wrote:

In article ,
Johanna Gibson wrote:

Hello,
This is from my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, so I will put
American terms on the left and UK terms in parentheses. I didn't
weigh things as I went, so I hope the UK folks interested have a US
measuring cup in the house!

snip

Oh, this sounds *delicious*! Thanks! I'm going to try to get brave,
since I"ve never made candy before. g

There's only 5 ingredients, so give it a go! The only thing that
can go wrong, is that you can overcook or undercook it. I had to
stand and stir for a long time, so prepare yourself for that. It was
worth the wait, however....

-- Jo in Scotland
Old January 21st 05, 02:43 AM
Allyson Brown

Thanks Jo! Just might have to try these even though I really shouldn't
indulge in something this yummy. I'll take them to work after I try
one.....no really I will!
allyson

Old January 21st 05, 03:15 AM
Carolyn McCarty

Or pecans......I can hardly wait to try this! I wonder if it works in the
dry desert air. If not, I bet it will make super ice cream topping, lol!

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you aren't trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools --Red Green

Old January 21st 05, 05:59 PM
Listpig

16 ounces in this context isn't volume, it's weight, i.e., 1 lb.

--pig

Old January 21st 05, 07:45 PM
Hanne Gottliebsen

But if it was by weight, being _packed_ would not matter???

Hanne in London - being all metric anyway

Old January 21st 05, 10:24 PM
Johanna Gibson

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 18:45:50 +0000, Hanne Gottliebsen
wrote:

But if it was by weight, being _packed_ would not matter???

Hanne in London - being all metric anyway

The recipe assumes you have dark brown sugar lying around, and when
you go to make the recipe, you pack the cups firmly as you measure.
Yes, it does matter.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old January 21st 05, 10:41 PM
Hanne Gottliebsen

wrote:

But if it was by weight, being _packed_ would not matter???

Hanne in London - being all metric anyway

The recipe assumes you have dark brown sugar lying around, and when
you go to make the recipe, you pack the cups firmly as you measure.
Yes, it does matter.

-- Jo in Scotland

That's what I meant, pig said it was by weight, not volume.

Hanne in London
Old January 21st 05, 11:31 PM
Johanna Gibson

wrote:

But if it was by weight, being _packed_ would not matter???

Hanne in London - being all metric anyway

The recipe assumes you have dark brown sugar lying around, and when
you go to make the recipe, you pack the cups firmly as you measure.
Yes, it does matter.

-- Jo in Scotland

That's what I meant, pig said it was by weight, not volume.

Hanne in London

Oh, I see what you mean now. Hey, I just copied BHG's recipe - I
didn't really think about that interesting conundrum until now...

-- Jo in Scotland

glas FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 October 16th 03 07:50 PM
Glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 1 September 18th 03 04:16 PM
OT/Pear 'Honey' Recipe Needed from one of you Texas Cooks [email protected] Quilting 0 September 6th 03 04:51 PM
glaze FAQ's Tom Buck Pottery 0 August 18th 03 01:26 AM
glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 18th 03 05:40 AM