Washing Rag Quilts

Old January 20th 05, 07:14 PM
Shirley Ellen

Default Washing Rag Quilts

Hi everyone

I haven't been here for a while but I was going back through the threads and
know you were discussing rag quilts back there a bit but it didn't quite
answer the question I have.

I just made my first rag quilt. It turned out awesome I think.. although it
doesn't look so good in photos. It's all red. I made it for my
brother-in-law who is dying of lung cancer and he's also colour blind so red
is the only colour that looks like anything other than grey.

Anyway... I took it to the laundromat and had them wash/dry wash/dry for the
first time so I wouldn't clog my machines. How hard will this be on a
washer/dryer after the first 2 washings? I want to be able to warn my
sister.. who will not be pleased if I send her something that breaks a major
appliance.

Thanks for any help

Shirley

--
My Quilt Site
http://members.tripod.com/inspiring-...lts/index.html

Inspiring Thoughts
http://members.tripod.com/inspiring-thoughts/index.html

Old January 20th 05, 07:57 PM
Page

I don't have a lot of experience in washing rag quilts, but it would
probably be best if it's always washed at a laundrymat. Even if it
isn't raveling anymore, it will be pretty heavy once it's full of water
and could be hard on a home washer during the spin cycle. Putting coins
in a machine is a lot more economical than a service call.

Old January 20th 05, 08:38 PM
Shirley Ellen

Thanks for the input. I was thinking if she has a heavy duty dryer, as I do,
but not a heavy duty washing machine she could hand wash and then dry in the
dryer. I'll put a note in with it so she can decide for herself. I don't
know his prognosis but she may want to use the quilt once he's gone anyway.
One of my next projects is to make her one for herself.

I had read somewhere that it's important to check the lint trap in the dryer
as it's drying to watch for buildup.

You guys are the greatest

Shirley

--
My Quilt Site
http://members.tripod.com/inspiring-...lts/index.html

Inspiring Thoughts
http://members.tripod.com/inspiring-thoughts/index.html
"Jan" wrote in message
k.net...
After about 2 washings, it's fine to do at home, you may still want to

stop
half way thru and empty the lint trap just to be safe, but I have no
problems with ours after the initial laundromat 2-3 times.

Jan

"Shirley Ellen" wrote in
:

Old January 21st 05, 03:51 AM
Alice M. Bonnell

A laundromat in our area has a sign up saying that "rag quilts are not
allowed in their machines"!