Send me a toddler

Old January 21st 05, 04:38 AM
Julia in MN

Polly Esther wrote:
I had hoped that someone here was actually using the Design Wall Grid fabric
and could tell me what might improve its stickiosity.

I have something called "Creative Grid". It sounds like a similar
product. My quilt blocks stick just fine to mine. I wonder if washing it
would raise the nap a bit so your blocks will stick. I know flannel
often seems fuzzier after it has been washed, so maybe that would help
for your fabric.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old January 21st 05, 08:16 AM
Patti

It's beginning to settle in!
..
In article . net, Polly
Esther writes
Hmmmm. If damp will do it, the stuff should improve soon. This is the
Swamp, ya know. It is really quite an advantage to have the grid lines on
the wall, just very nice. It seems to be working a bit better tonight - no
clue why. Polly

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 21st 05, 09:49 AM
Kate Dicey

Polly Esther wrote:

Hmmmm. If damp will do it, the stuff should improve soon. This is the
Swamp, ya know. It is really quite an advantage to have the grid lines on
the wall, just very nice. It seems to be working a bit better tonight - no
clue why. Polly

Maybe h it heard the toddlers were on the way...

I find that dry cold makes for more static. A dry frosty morning will
have me getting sparks off the cats, the car door handles, the fridge...
And a whole light show when I brush my hair!

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old January 21st 05, 11:18 AM
Roberta Zollner

AFAIK static doesn't really have anything to do with it. Cotton just sticks
well to other cotton, especially if the surface is fuzzy.
My design wall is a huge piece of thin felt stuff, bought it from the
Keepsake catalog years ago, and it feels synthetic. But it's very fuzzy.
Most blocks stick just fine. Heavy blocks with added buttons and other
embellishments are too heavy. But when I get stuck assembling that kind of
thing into a quilt, a pin in the top usually does the trick.
Roberta in D
"Carolyn McCarty" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Polly, I had thought about a design wall, but after reading these threads
I am not so sure--I live in the desert, and not sure the air is damp
enough to create good static electricity if that is how the darned thing
works. Please drop me an email when you figure out the answer, I'd be
deeply grateful!

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you aren't trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools --Red Green

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
nk.net...
I need one to make something sticky.
Because I bring to quilting some minor challenges - one eye, weak
knees
and a limited attention span, to mention a few, I thought it would be
very
helpful to have a real cover on my design wall. Up until now, it was
covered
with $1 a yard polyester terry cloth. That worked great but it did not
have
lines of any sort on it.
Today we covered my 4' x 8' sheet of paneling with the real thing.
Design Wall Grid (to the tune of $40).
It works great as far as lining up, looking at, and trying out.
But things don't stick to it. I have to poke pins in anything I want
stay on it.
We figure any self-respecting toddler could make it good and gummy in
just no time. We guarantee to spoil said loaned tot with joy and return
him
safely. Any other ideas? Polly

Old January 21st 05, 01:23 PM
Pat in Virginia

Polly: Is that stuff anything like cotton flannelette?
IOW, does it have nap? If so, perhaps you need to
'brush' it in the wrong direction, to raise the nap.
That might improve the adherability/stickosity!
PAT in semi snowy VA

Old January 21st 05, 04:23 PM
Roberta Zollner

Sorry to piggyback, but a genuinely helpful thought just occurred to me:
Brush your less-than-sticky wall with a suede brush to fluff it up. That
might be all it needs to stick just perfectly.
Roberta in D

Old January 21st 05, 05:07 PM
Polly Esther

The silly thing is working just fine this morning. I suspect the suggestions
here were enough to give it an attitude adjustment. Thank you all. Polly

Old January 21st 05, 06:02 PM
georg

Polly Esther wrote:

The silly thing is working just fine this morning. I suspect the suggestions
here were enough to give it an attitude adjustment. Thank you all. Polly

Threaten it with a yorkie leg when it doesn't behave.

Glad it's working, and the effort of putting it up was worthwhile.

-georg

Winter Wonderland Swap frood Quilting 3 November 13th 04 02:04 AM
OT Please send ties and jeans DJDREVNA Quilting 3 August 30th 04 12:46 AM