Light Box

Old July 21st 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
GG

Default Light Box

I am looking to build my own light box.
Does anyone know how thick the glass needs to be.
The box will be 2 feet by 3 feet.

Old July 21st 07, 02:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

GG wrote:
I am looking to build my own light box. Does anyone know how thick
the glass needs to be. The box will be 2 feet by 3 feet.

****************
Good question, GG. I am wanting to make one myself, about the same
size as yours. I'm thinking that 1/2" is pretty close to good
enough. But that is a guess.

Michael

Old July 21st 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
javahut

"GG" wrote in message
newsYnoi.134087$xq1.106843@pd7urf1no...
That's also around what I was thinking of.
Thanks

"Michael" wrote in message
oups.com...
GG wrote:
I am looking to build my own light box. Does anyone know how thick
the glass needs to be. The box will be 2 feet by 3 feet.

****************
Good question, GG. I am wanting to make one myself, about the same
size as yours. I'm thinking that 1/2" is pretty close to good
enough. But that is a guess.

What are you going to do on this 2 x 3 ft lightbox? That will determine how
thick. and how it's built can determine that too.

Mine is 42 x 52 and is 3/16 tempered, but the edges are dropped so the glass
is level with the wood, and is mortised into a piece of 3/4" plywood, I do
what I want on it. The size was determined by what the glass shop had as a
scratched/misorder piece. That is one direction, see what you can get cheap
in 3/16 tempered, 1/2 in in annealed glass is overkill, 1/4' at most unless
you want to use it as a step stool.

Old July 21st 07, 03:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Chemo the Clown

On Jul 21, 6:03 am, "GG" wrote:
I am looking to build my own light box.
Does anyone know how thick the glass needs to be.
The box will be 2 feet by 3 feet.

3/16" or 1/4" is plenty. 1/2" is like overkill and it'll weigh a ton.
I once had a light box that was 4' x 8' and had 1/4" tempered and it
was fine.

Old July 21st 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker[_2_]

"GG" wrote in message
I am looking to build my own light box.
Does anyone know how thick the glass needs to be.
The box will be 2 feet by 3 feet.

I just built myself a light box. I used a 2ft square drop-in flourescent
light (for suspended ceilings) from Home Depot. I cut a pc of 1/4" plate
to fit in the "lid", and siliconed it in place. I found a 5000K tube for
color correctness and had the whole thing done in about 30 minutes.

I disagree with those who are using tempered glass as the surface of a light
box. All you have to is nick that glass with a cutter and you have
trillions of little shards to deal with.

Old July 21st 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
javahut

" Moonraker" wrote in message

"GG" wrote in message
I am looking to build my own light box.
Does anyone know how thick the glass needs to be.
The box will be 2 feet by 3 feet.

I just built myself a light box. I used a 2ft square drop-in flourescent
light (for suspended ceilings) from Home Depot. I cut a pc of 1/4" plate
to fit in the "lid", and siliconed it in place. I found a 5000K tube for
color correctness and had the whole thing done in about 30 minutes.

I disagree with those who are using tempered glass as the surface of a

light
box. All you have to is nick that glass with a cutter and you have
trillions of little shards to deal with.

Damn, now ya tell me, wish I would have known that 20 years ago when I built
it....and I cut on mine all the time.

But that's OK, Dennis, you can disagree, I just won't listen.

Old July 21st 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker[_2_]

"javahut" wrote in message

But that's OK, Dennis, you can disagree, I just won't listen.

You can just kiss my ENTIRE ass. LOL

Old July 22nd 07, 01:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
michele

I used an old sliding glass door for my 4'x8' table top, with fluorescents
under but usually cut on a slab of sheetrock which lives on top of the
slider when i don't need the light. m

Old July 22nd 07, 05:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
db

One thing I did that I enjoy was to put a single halogen lamp in one of my
light tables alongside the fluorescent fixtures. The halogen light I only
turn on briefly when I want to trace or exacto something through some spray
mask or resist. And for a lot of work, I like not having all the overflow
light from the fluorescent bulbs in my face. The halogen is focused and
contained. I use it so often now that I plan to put a better switch on it.
Can't leave it on for a long time though. it gets too hot.

"GG" wrote in message
I am looking to build my own light box.
Does anyone know how thick the glass needs to be.
The box will be 2 feet by 3 feet.

OTT light help? Chris_Strawn Needlework 2 July 28th 05 01:37 AM
new light [email protected] Needlework 6 June 23rd 05 05:17 PM
Balanced Spectrum light vs Ott light Donna in Idaho Quilting 3 December 29th 04 12:53 AM
Let there be light!! Christina Peterson Beads 9 January 16th 04 10:01 PM
Need a light Brenda Lewis Needlework 2 November 6th 03 12:53 AM