Writing on quilts

Old June 5th 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Default Writing on quilts

I use an indelible pen I get from my LQS.

However, I've just seen a tv advert for Sharpie pens and think that
these are what you all use. I haven't seen that make here before.
(Especially in rural Suffolk where everything is a little behind the
times, even the Town Hall was built in 1540!)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldeburgh

Sharpies seem to come in a better range of colours - so do I get them
when I find them?

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old June 5th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

Please, Do NOT use sharpies on fabrics. They have a tendency to leave a
"ring" of discoloration around the marking after a very short time.
They do now come in a lot of colors, but still not good for fabrics.
Fabrico makes a line of "pens" that work very well on fabrics, and are
permanent. Sakura brand Pigma pens are the classic, but they are fine
points. Sakura also makes a brush point that are permanent and safe for
fabric.
There are really several good products you can use. If need be you can
even use crayon and press with a hot iron and a clean paper towel to
remove the wax, the pigment stays. But not sure I would want to do this
on a finished quilt. It might travel all the way through.

And in times past India Ink was used. Still around on antique/vintage
quilts. (But more difficult to find today I think.)
Check with artist's supply stores. Or check at SewThankful.com. She
carries a lot of quilt "art" supplies.

Anyone tried to label a quilt with the Shiva paint sticks yet?

Pati, in Phx.

Old June 5th 07, 10:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Sally Swindells wrote:

I use an indelible pen I get from my LQS.

However, I've just seen a tv advert for Sharpie pens and think that
these are what you all use. I haven't seen that make here before.
(Especially in rural Suffolk where everything is a little behind the
times, even the Town Hall was built in 1540!)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldeburgh

Sharpies seem to come in a better range of colours - so do I get them
when I find them?

Thanks for the advice. Thinking again, was it Sharpies for drawing on
the Press 'n Seal for Quiling? Its just that the name is so familiar.

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old June 6th 07, 07:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

Why do writing with pens at all?!? I label my quilts by lightly using
a pencil, and then doing outline embroidery stitch with colored
thread, which works very well, is easy, and carries no risk of
bleeding. I add my name, date, name of pattern (if it is an original
pattern of my own), and "made for XXX" if it is a special gift.

Old June 6th 07, 07:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

I often use a permanent fabric pen, on the backing fabric, just because
it is fast, easy and permanent. No way it can be removed without
removing the fabric it is written on. G I do like to do "special"
labels too, they get sewn over the inked on label. Since many of my
quilts are class samples, they get hung up in shops. This makes sure
that I don't "lose" my quilt. VB

Pati, in Phx.
http://community.webshots.com/user/PatiCooks

Old June 6th 07, 12:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 22:11:25 +0100, Sally Swindells
wrote:

*Snip*

Thanks for the advice. Thinking again, was it Sharpies for drawing on
the Press 'n Seal for Quiling? Its just that the name is so familiar.

I draw on Press'n'Seal with a Crayola washable marker. And, I try
to avoid the red one now. Then I do the quilting, pull the plastic
away and give the finished quilt a rinse.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old June 6th 07, 01:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Mary wrote:
Why do writing with pens at all?!? I label my quilts by lightly using
a pencil, and then doing outline embroidery stitch with colored
thread, which works very well, is easy, and carries no risk of
bleeding. I add my name, date, name of pattern (if it is an original
pattern of my own), and "made for XXX" if it is a special gift.

I write under the embroidered label, so the quilt is permanently
idendifiable.

Also there are signature blocks and hug blocks that need an ink siggy.

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old June 6th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
JPgirl

On Jun 5, 5:11 pm, Sally Swindells
wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Thinking again, was it Sharpies for drawing on
the Press 'n Seal for Quiling? Its just that the name is so familiar.

Nope, don't do that either!
The first time I tried the press and seal trick I used a sharpie and
it transferred onto my nice white quilt
Luckily I decided to use a different method of marking and had to take
out the stitching I had done with the press and seal, once it was
stitched over it was not quite as noticable and some spray and wash
took some of it out but I can still see where it is.

Old June 6th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Thinking again, was it Sharpies for drawing on
the Press 'n Seal for Quiling? Its just that the name is so familiar.

Nope, don't do that either!
The first time I tried the press and seal trick I used a sharpie and
it transferred onto my nice white quilt
Luckily I decided to use a different method of marking and had to take
out the stitching I had done with the press and seal, once it was
stitched over it was not quite as noticable and some spray and wash
took some of it out but I can still see where it is.

So the answer overall is - don't buy the Sharpie pens unless you want to
label your toothbrush (like the advert!).

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old June 6th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

I don't do an embroidered label, but do the embroidery on the quilt
itself.

Writing on a mold? Sam Pottery 5 April 26th 04 03:49 PM
label writing Laurie G. Quilting 2 March 2nd 04 05:01 AM