OT-ISO upright vacuum opinions

Old January 30th 05, 08:47 PM
Liz Hampton

Default OT-ISO upright vacuum opinions

It looks like DH & I may be in the market for a replacement vacuum cleaner.
I'm looking for an upright BAGLESS type. According to Consumer Reports,
the Eureka Ultra Whirlwind 4885/4880 is 4th in line. I would have shopped
for a Boss Smart Vac Ultra, but the vacuum I have now uses bags and I've
hated them for the 21 years that I've used it. I would prefer the clear
plastic kind that you just empty when it looks full. Since we live in the
country, I'll be able to just empty it out in the "yard". Another,
cheaper choice, is the Hoover Wind Tunnel Bagless.
I'd appreciate input from people that have either of these vacuum cleaners.
If it helps, we do, as I said, live in a very rural area with a dirt/gravel
driveway and LOTS of dust. We also have carpeting everywhere but the
kitchen & bathrooms.
One specific question I have is: How much of a pain is it to go from
cleaning carpets to using the little tools for drapes & cobwebs? I have a
Kirby right now and it is a real pain in the neck to switch from the carpet
to the hose.

I guess this really could be on topic since I will be using it to vacuum up
the occasional orts and to get the dust out of projects that may already be
hanging on the wall. :-)) Thanks.
Liz from Humbug

Old January 30th 05, 11:43 PM
Melissa & Doug Smith

Look into a Dyson. A bit pricey, but the absolute best vacuum I have ever
owned. We live on a road with VERY heavy traffic just a sidewalk's distance
away. Also have a dog, hamster and 5 birds. The vacuum is so worth the
extra money we paid for it.

Old January 31st 05, 05:30 PM
Liz Hampton

Whatever brand you check on, be sure to open it and see what kind of
dirt holder there is. I have a small Hoover that says BAGLESS right on
the front, and I HATE IT!!

It has the plastic container, but then inside that container is a nasty
little flannel bag that has to be emptied nearly every time I use it.

snip
chris c

That's exactly why I'm asking for input! Knowing me, I wouldn't think to
check INSIDE the container to see something like that.

Thanks also to Melissa for the Dyson recommendation, but the Dyson is one of
the highest priced, but only did "Good" on carpets and only "Fair" on noise.
If I'm going to spend that much, I want to be "Excellent" on carpeting and
"Good" or better in all the other categories. The Hoover Wind Tunnel is
also only "Fair" on noise, but it is half the price of a Dyson and is rated
"Excellent" for carpets. Meanwhile, we're just not walking around in bare
feet for a while. :-) We do have DH's small, old Electrolux canister to
get by with, but he managed to lose all of the attachments but the hose some
time before I met him & it's kind of a chore to vacuum an entire house
with just the end of the hose. :-)
Liz from Humbug

Old February 1st 05, 04:43 AM
Seaspray

Hi,

I have a Bissel Clearview. It is bagless and has a clear hose so if you get
a clog you can easily spot it. I have had it a year and it is fine so far.
It does have a small container that must be emptied every other time. And
there are two filters that have to be shook out from time to time or the
suction will not be as strong. On board attachments make it easy to get at
the baseboards and ceilings.

Diane
**********************************

Old February 1st 05, 09:31 AM
Leigh Harris

"Liz Hampton" wrote
Thanks also to Melissa for the Dyson recommendation, but the Dyson is one

of
the highest priced, but only did "Good" on carpets and only "Fair" on

noise.

What study was this from, Liz? I have a Dyson and I would certainly rate it
a lot higher than "Good" on my carpets. They get full of sand, my long hair,
the hair from two dogs and all the junk said dogs tramp in from outside. It
sucks it all up, there in the canister for me to see. When I first got it a
few months ago, I ran it over a carpet that I thought was clean. It brought
up a tennis ball sized wad of dirt! Sounds better than "Good" to me.

--
Leigh Harris
Perth, Western Australia

Old February 1st 05, 04:08 PM
Pat P

We have a Dyson - had it for years, and are still delighted with it, even
though it is the cheapest version. NO bag - just a transparent tank. It`s
very satisfying to see it filling up (mostly with dog hair!) as you use it.
I just empty it and every so often swill it out with hot water with a drop\
of washing up liquid. Had a few Hoovers in my time, and would never have
another - washing machine either.

Sony for TV/radios, Dyson for cleaners and Bosch for anything else in our
house.

Pat P

Old February 1st 05, 04:10 PM
Pat P

I love the idea of a clear tube! Think I`ll suggest that to Dyson - so
maybe by the time we need a new one, they might include it!

Pat P

Old February 1st 05, 04:44 PM
Liz Hampton

"Liz Hampton" wrote
Thanks also to Melissa for the Dyson recommendation, but the Dyson is one

of
the highest priced, but only did "Good" on carpets and only "Fair" on

noise.

What study was this from, Liz? I have a Dyson and I would certainly rate it
a lot higher than "Good" on my carpets. They get full of sand, my long hair,
the hair from two dogs and all the junk said dogs tramp in from outside. It
sucks it all up, there in the canister for me to see. When I first got it a
few months ago, I ran it over a carpet that I thought was clean. It brought
up a tennis ball sized wad of dirt! Sounds better than "Good" to me.

--
Leigh Harris

I've been using the Consumer Reports from July of 2004. I'm also asking
for input from rctn, though, for those "other" things that CR doesn't think
of. Unfortunately, even if it was very best on CR AND rctn, it's still out
of our price range. :-)) In fact, DH says there's a vacuum cleaner from our
old sheet metal shop (for the office) that probably still works, so we may
not be getting a new one anyway. The money saving is nice, but I will
still be saving for a "real" new vacuum. :-))
Liz from Humbug

Old February 1st 05, 06:51 PM
Pat P

[...]

I must say I always take consumer reports with a pinch of salt - much as I
do film critics! I always have a feeling that they have had their palms
greased.

I, too, find the Dyson`s pick-up to be nothing less than phenomenal. No it`s
not the quietest, but who cares? You`re not having it running all day. You
can actually SEE the difference in colour of a carpet as it goes over it.

Pat P