pottery skills

Old March 19th 04, 11:09 AM
alan morgan

Default pottery skills

Just retired and would like to take up pottery aas a pastime or hobby. Any
ideas please. Web sites, books etc. Alan.

Old March 19th 04, 04:01 PM
Deborah M Riel

In article ,
alan morgan wrote:
Just retired and would like to take up pottery aas a pastime or hobby. Any
ideas please. Web sites, books etc. Alan.

In my opinion, the very best way to start is to take a class in
pottery. There's a much steeper learning curve than I ever expected,
and it helps to have someone there to show you what to do. It's also
nice to be able to talk with other people who are learning, and to see
their approaches. The other plus is that you don't have to invest in
all that equipment before you know what you're doing.

Deb R.

Old March 19th 04, 04:18 PM
sandi

"alan morgan" wrote in message ...
Just retired and would like to take up pottery aas a pastime or hobby. Any
ideas please. Web sites, books etc. Alan.

Alan,
I did the same. I retired a few years ago and with some extra time on
my hands I first took a beginners pottery class through my county's
parks and recreation program. Then I took another class at a local
community collage and I was hooked. I love it. I got my own wheel
and kiln and joined a local pottery guild and I'm working from my home
and selling pots. Go for it! Good luck. Read a lot of pottery books,
and watch videos and go to all the pottery workshops you can. You'll
learn alot.

Sandi
Old March 19th 04, 07:24 PM
alan morgan

"sandi" wrote in message
m...
"alan morgan" wrote in message

Just retired and would like to take up pottery aas a pastime or hobby.

Any
ideas please. Web sites, books etc. Alan.

Alan,
Thanks Sandy and Debora for your similar replies. I'll take your advice

and go for it; sounds good to me. Alan

Old March 20th 04, 06:23 AM
Kathryn & Stuart Fields

Here's another ditto. The pluses of working with like minded and similar
level people can not be over listed. Kathy Fields

"alan morgan" wrote in message

m...

Old March 21st 04, 06:02 AM

alan morgan wrote:

Just retired and would like to take up pottery aas a pastime or hobby. Any
ideas please. Web sites, books etc. Alan.

Dear Alan Morgan:
I have been asked this question a few times. Here is a reply for books. I
have a few websites links on my website that should also peak your interest.
Russ Andavall
www.firegodarts.com
HPS wrote:

Dear Russell

I am looking for a book (about ceramics and design) for a person who is
studying ceramics and design. My own knowledge in the field is very
limited and therefore I decided to ask an expert. If there is any kind
of bestseller or "bible" I would like to hear about it. I would
appreciate any suggestions you could give me (the book is for a
present).

All the best,

Hans Peter Sørensen, Aarhus University.

Dear Hans:
There are several good informational books on the study of ceramics.
Your University Library ought to have some of these. They are English
titles.
Ceramics a Potter’s Handbook by Glenn Nelson Published by
Holt,Rinehart and Wilson
Pottery on the wheel by Elsbeth S. Woody Published by Farrar, Staus
and Giroux
Stoneware & Porcelain by Daniel Rhodes Published by Chilton Company
Clay and Glazes for the Potter by Daniel Rhodes Published by Chilton
Company
Pottery by Michael Cardue Published by Chilton Company
A Potters’s Book by Bernard Leach Published by TransAtlantic Arts Inc
Ceramic Formulas: The Complete Compendium by John W. Conrad Published
by MacMillan
Ceramic Techniques by Pravoslav Rada Published by The Hamlyn
Publishing Group
Techniques of the World’s Great Masters of Pottery and Cermaics Hugo
Morley-Fletcher
Published by Chartwell Books, Inc
Pottery without a Wheel by F. Carlton Ball Published by Van Nostrand
Reinhold
Shoju Hamada A Potter’s Way and Work by Susan Peterson Published by
Harper & Row
Spanish Folk Cermaics by Artigas Published by Editorial Blume
Pottery Glazes by David Green Publised by Watson Guptill
Centering

In addition to these books you should check out my website and some of the
other websites on the internet. You can find a lot about ceramics in the
newsgroup too. Ok so you have your technical reading list for this
semester for this class. There are also some literary works and historical
tresses that relate to Ceramics... like The Rubyad of Omar Kayam. History
of Chinese Art. Japanese art. Ceramics of Mexico. Ceramics of the Pueblo
Indians. Russian Floor tile. Greek Vase Painters. Roman ceramic aqueduct
construction....

Here are some of my webpages to visit:
http://members.tripod.com/~andavall/Teapots.html

http://members.tripod.com/~andavall/GlazeMaterials.html

http://members.tripod.com/~andavall/index.html

Here are some websites by others and other resources...

http://digitalfire.com/education/people/hewitt.htm

http://cgi.feedme.org:8080/cgi-bin/f...stserv.clayart

http://www.wiseowlceramics.com/chat/

http://apple.sdsu.edu/ceramicsweb/glazedatabase.html

News group. rec.craft.pottery

Russ Andavall
The FireGod
www.firegodarts.com
A Berkeley Mac Users Group Member
www.bmug.org

may the great spirit bless your dreams

Old March 23rd 04, 09:38 AM
annemarie

"alan morgan" wrote in message
Just retired and would like to take up pottery aas a pastime or hobby. Any
ideas please. Web sites, books etc. Alan.

I agree with the others. Classes are the best. The equipment is expensive
and complicated, you need to know if you like it before committing.
Have fun )

Old April 28th 04, 11:11 PM
roz lacey

Hi!
I did exactly the same - decided this was my time and I would go for the
pottery on retirement. From the UK perspective, I immediately contacted my
local college. I persuaded the Tutor to allow me to do the City & Guilds
course, trather than just the recreational. It was in at the deep end, but
I knew I would get the fast track tuition I craved. Neither of us regretted
it and it really did stretch my mind. With the added bonus of marvellous
companions who have become firm friends. Do not try to learn from books -
the books come later, when you know where your talents lie. I developed a
passion for architectural ceramics. You will never stop learning and I find
this newsgroup absolutely brilliant in solving a lot of
my queries and problems.

Old January 16th 05, 08:32 AM

You might as well also take a look at

http://www.ScienceOxygen.com/design354.html

It does not sell anything; it is just with a collection of
links about pottery...

Old January 16th 05, 09:09 PM
jedi

wrote in message
oups.com...

You might as well also take a look at

http://www.ScienceOxygen.com/design354.html

It does not sell anything; it is just with a collection of
links about pottery...

Wonderful! Thank you.