Log Cabin

Old September 21st 11, 09:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

Default Log Cabin

I know most people really like this block/pattern. I have been
working on this one for what seems like months. I don't think I'll
ever do another one. I think the quilt will be stunning (at least I
hope so!) when it's done but all that trimming is NUTS! I'm only
using 2 fabrics - well 3 if you count the center piece but all the
logs are the same 2 fabrics; a light side and a dark side. This will
be for a friend's son for his HS graduation in June. It will be a
barn raising layout. I finally managed to figure out 'strip piecing'
as much as it can be but even that was terribly tedious. There's only
48 blocks but they are 12.5" blocks. You would think I could have had
that done in a few days or couple of weeks at best. Noooooo. But at
least now I can start working on the layout. In my spare time when
I'm not travelling or getting ready to travel!
Old September 21st 11, 09:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

There are two kinds of Log Cabin when you come right down to it.
There are the ones with a bazillion narrow strips per block, and there
are the ones with 8 or twelve wider strips per block.
Oh all right, there are also the ones with 8 or 10 tiny strips and a
bazillion tiny blocks.

One you start counting in the bazillions you better either be pretty
darned fast or pretty darned persistent. If you are neither of those
things the quilt will get you down, and you will probably find yourself
lurking in a tower with a basting gun waiting for the designer to pass by.
That is just sad, especially if you designed it yourself.

On the other hand you can bore yourself to death too.
I do log cabins either scrappy or shaded. They can get awfully tedious
otherwise. Bear in mind this is me saying that and I love counterpoint.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old September 22nd 11, 01:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bronnie[_2_]

On Sep 22, 6:36*am, AuntK wrote:
I know most people really like this block/pattern. *I have been
working on this one for what seems like months. *I don't think I'll
ever do another one. *I think the quilt will be stunning (at least I
hope so!) when it's done but all that trimming is NUTS! *I'm only
using 2 fabrics - well 3 if you count the center piece but all the
logs are the same 2 fabrics; a light side and a dark side. *This will
be for a friend's son for his HS graduation in June. *It will be a
barn raising layout. *I finally managed to figure out 'strip piecing'
as much as it can be but even that was terribly tedious. *There's only
48 blocks but they are 12.5" blocks. *You would think I could have had
that done in a few days or couple of weeks at best. *Noooooo. *But at
least now I can start working on the layout. *In my spare time when
I'm not travelling or getting ready to travel!

Good luck with it Kim! Look forward to pix when you have time.

Bronnie
Old September 22nd 11, 01:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bronnie[_2_]

On Sep 22, 6:36*am, AuntK wrote:
I know most people really like this block/pattern. *I have been
working on this one for what seems like months. *I don't think I'll
ever do another one. *I think the quilt will be stunning (at least I
hope so!) when it's done but all that trimming is NUTS! *I'm only
using 2 fabrics - well 3 if you count the center piece but all the
logs are the same 2 fabrics; a light side and a dark side. *This will
be for a friend's son for his HS graduation in June. *It will be a
barn raising layout. *I finally managed to figure out 'strip piecing'
as much as it can be but even that was terribly tedious. *There's only
48 blocks but they are 12.5" blocks. *You would think I could have had
that done in a few days or couple of weeks at best. *Noooooo. *But at
least now I can start working on the layout. *In my spare time when
I'm not travelling or getting ready to travel!

Good luck Kim, I'm sure it will work out great and we look forward to
a pix in due course.
Bronnie

Log Cabin Quilt Kate T. Quilting 22 January 12th 10 07:24 PM
Log Cabin Q. Sherry Quilting 11 June 27th 08 05:05 PM
Log Cabin Blues lisa skeen Quilting 14 January 26th 06 03:12 PM
Log Cabin Blues Tricia Quilting 3 January 24th 06 07:23 AM
Log Cabin Blues Dannielle Quilting 0 January 23rd 06 09:10 PM