deep water glaze effect wanted

Old January 16th 04, 11:16 AM
¬Stephen Hammond

Default deep water glaze effect wanted

I would like to create a deep water glaze effect as I am doing a clay
version of Monet gardens does anyone have a suggestion?
Here are my other masterpieces

http://www.hammonds.freeserve.co.uk/mypottery.html

Thanks

Stephen

Old January 17th 04, 02:47 AM
James Aberle

Hello Stephen ---

....i don't know about the water effect...but this is the place to
ask...but i did check your previous works...very very nice...and
interesting idea to wrk from the impressionists and other
painters....you defintley got the emotional feel of the paintings....jim

Old January 18th 04, 03:07 PM
CNB

Interesting work. You ought to say what clay and cone you are firing. There
are lots of glazes out there. By deep water effect do you mean a transparent
dark blue? Guess I ought to take a look at Monet gardens.
Crystal

Old January 18th 04, 07:43 PM
Slgraber

i think you might want to try rutile based glazes for a watery affect. they
seeme especially great when used OVER iron based glazes too. a "jensen blue"
over "tenmoku" might do what you want. i ususally buy my glazes dry-premixed
from aardvark in santa ana, but get the same-similar from laguna clay at times
too. (a more USA nation wide source)

i do cone 10 reduction glazing on stoneware &/or porcelain.

steve

Old January 18th 04, 09:38 PM
¬Stephen Hammond

I would like to create a deep water glaze effect as I am doing a clay
version of Monet gardens does anyone have a suggestion?
Here are my other masterpieces

http://www.hammonds.freeserve.co.uk/mypottery.html

Thanks

Stephen

i think you might want to try rutile based glazes for a watery affect.

they
seeme especially great when used OVER iron based glazes too. a "jensen

blue"
over "tenmoku" might do what you want. i ususally buy my glazes

dry-premixed
from aardvark in santa ana, but get the same-similar from laguna clay at

times
too. (a more USA nation wide source)

i do cone 10 reduction glazing on stoneware &/or porcelain.

steve

I suppose I should have mentioned I'm in the UK ! The dollar is quite weak
at the moment so that's good.
Thanks though. I'll have to find out what clay I use and temps. I just use
the facilities at the local Adult Education.
I leave all that to them.

I use Duncan based colours for the main colours.
http://www.potterycrafts.co.uk/produ...covercoat.html

Have you any pictures of rutile based glazes.

Thanks

Stephen

Old January 19th 04, 11:49 PM
Marty Kenny

in article , ¬Stephen Hammond at
wrote on 1/16/04 5:16 AM:

I would like to create a deep water glaze effect as I am doing a clay
version of Monet gardens does anyone have a suggestion?
Here are my other masterpieces

http://www.hammonds.freeserve.co.uk/mypottery.html

Thanks

Stephen

In the area of the pond use a wash of cobalt sulphate.
Make a mixture by volume 12/1 water/sulphate.
Pretend you are doing a water color (by the way Monet's gardens aren' deep
water) on the green dry clay of the pond. Draw the brush areas first with a
pencil because you won't be able to see the sulphate when dry. Do various
layers but leave uncovered areas as well for light reflections. 3/4 coats a
deep blue.

Then glaze that area with clear.

If you want greenery use copper sulphate (oxidation firing) for green. Same
mixture but you will need more layers to get a strong green.

Marty

Old January 26th 04, 04:00 PM
¬Stephen Hammond

[...]

I'm going to use the colours at www.potterycraft.co.uk I want to know how to
do a deep glaze !

Oh well guess it can't be done

Stephen

Old January 26th 04, 04:41 PM
CNB

I'm not sure what you mean by "Deep Glaze". Do you mean that you see thru it
to the bottom? As if it were water in a pond? If that's what you mean I have
an idea. After your piece is done and the pond is glazed blue you can cut a
piece of glass that fits the pond. It would help, I think, if the pond was
indented as deep as the thickness of the glass. Refire the piece to the
glass melting point which is 1300 degrees F (approx 704C according to my
converter). I saw this done on a show by a potter that combines clay with
glass. You may have to fire above that temperature to make it stick or
depending on how thick the glass I'm not sure. You might want to do a little
test piece and see how it works for you. I've never done it but it sounded
interesting to me. I may try it one day. I hope this helps and let me know
if it works for you.
Good luck,

Old January 26th 04, 10:35 PM
Bob Masta

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:41:01 GMT, "CNB"
wrote:

[...]

One thing to watch out for here is that the glass may not have the
same expansion rate as the clay body. When I've tried this method,
melting a marble on top of a flat piece, the glass had big cracks
afterward. I liked the effect in what I was doing, but it might not
make a very convincing "water".

My cracking might be because it was quite thick (1/8 inch or so),
so you may be OK with thinner glass. Or you may have to try to
match expansion rates somehow.

How about a thick clear glaze over a blue stain? Maybe add
just a hint of copper or cobalt to the glaze. Or you can paint
copper sulphate solution over the dry clear glaze, which allows
you to have an uneven blue-green mottling with some depth
that might help simulate water. I've used this to get greenish
mottling on blue glazes, but never actually tried to ,ake it look like
water.

Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com

glas FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 October 16th 03 07:50 PM
Glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 1 September 18th 03 04:16 PM
Rainwater or distilled water \Mad\ General Crafting 2 September 10th 03 02:02 PM
glaze FAQ's Tom Buck Pottery 0 August 18th 03 01:26 AM
glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 18th 03 05:40 AM