Wow...it worked! (Electrical)

Old March 13th 04, 06:33 PM
Cathy Weeks

Default Wow...it worked! (Electrical)

I've been putting in the tape wire, and installing the eyelets. I
installed the junction splice on the underside of the house (in space
created by the "foundations") I'll route out a "mouse hole" for the
cord to escape.

But I got out the tester, and ALL splices worked. I guess I expected
it to be more fiddly, more of a problem to get right, and would
require lots of trouble shooting. I'm very, very glad it was so easy.

I had a few wrinkles that I'll have to figure out how to disguise (and
I figured out how to avoid them next time).

The shocking thing is that I used nearly FIFTEEN FEET of tape in a
small cottage. I did have some waste - sloppy plans, and stuff that
was too wrinkled, so I pulled it out and started over. But that only
amounts to a foot or maybe 18 inches. I NEVER would have guessed that
it would take so much. But the house will have 4 ceiling fixtures and
5 outlets (with flexibility to add more).

Cathy Weeks
Old March 13th 04, 07:52 PM
Herb

Cathy Weeks wrote:

[...]

Great! A couple of suggestions -

Either trace, draw, or take pictures of where your tape-wiring is, so if
you should want to add another electrical item, you'll know exactly
where you can do it.

You were either very good, or very lucky, or both! When I do any wiring
of this sort, with lots of connections, I always test as I go. It's much
easier to find a break in the last few inches than having to go over the
whole 15 feet of circuitry! (Your 15 feet isn't all that excessive, by
the way!)

- Herb
Old March 14th 04, 03:22 AM
Cathy Weeks

Herb wrote in message ...

Either trace, draw, or take pictures of where your tape-wiring is, so if
you should want to add another electrical item, you'll know exactly
where you can do it.

Already done. Haven't decided if I'll also do a tracing or not.

You were either very good, or very lucky, or both! When I do any wiring
of this sort, with lots of connections, I always test as I go. It's much
easier to find a break in the last few inches than having to go over the
whole 15 feet of circuitry! (Your 15 feet isn't all that excessive, by
the way!)

Good to know...it seemed like a lot. I guess it wasn't.

Thanks,

Cathy Weeks
Old March 14th 04, 12:23 PM
Carol

"Cathy Weeks" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I think that when most people tapewire they find that it's easier than they
thought. I put off wiring my house for months because I thought that it
would be a nightmare. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it's
really simple. Wait till your first lamp lights up. What a joy!

Remember that if you add more lights to make sure that your transformer can
handle them. Each transformer can handle a certain number of bulbs (not
lights) so that a 6 bulb chandelier counts as 6, not 1. You can check this
on the cir-kit website.
http://cir-kitconcepts.com/estore5/ I had to use 3 transformers on my big
house.

Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

Old March 14th 04, 06:09 PM
Cathy Weeks

"Carol" wrote in message ...

Remember that if you add more lights to make sure that your transformer can
handle them. Each transformer can handle a certain number of bulbs (not
lights) so that a 6 bulb chandelier counts as 6, not 1. You can check this
on the cir-kit website.
http://cir-kitconcepts.com/estore5/ I had to use 3 transformers on my big
house.

So far so good. The transformer is one of the smaller ones, and it's
rated for 16 bulbs. Right now, it's got 8 bulbs planned (4 ceiling
fixtures of one bulb each, 2 sconces and two coachlights.

Cathy Weeks