OT James home early...

Old June 5th 04, 12:15 PM
Kate Dicey

Default OT James home early...

... from camp!

They all went down with some sort of 12 hour stomach bug and were ikk
all night last night! Poor boys! Poor Akela and the leaders!

James was one of the first to grue, and seems to be mostly over it: he
ate tea at camp tonight, but they brought them home after, as those
who'd had it were still shaky exhausted, and more were dropping like
flies! The Doc who called at the camp said it was some sort of viral
thing, and it looks like one of those in fast-out fast things they
bounce back from. Poor Akela looked wiped out! The boys all looked
like zombies! 3 out of the 4 in James's tent had it, and they seemed to
have been gruing by numbers from the left!

James was completely zonked in the minibus on the way back, and fell
alseep again in the car in the 10 minute journey from drop-off to home.
I sent him straight to bed after a drink. For tonight, forget teeth,
forget washing, forget anything but sleep! He can have a bath or a
shower in the morning. Hm... Might just pop him in the washer along
with the grubbies! ;P

They scrambled everything together so fast they left some stuff at the
camp. Akela and the other adults are going back tonight, and will bring
the rest of the kit to be collected at the next hall meet (Monday's is
sports night, and they are in two different places... Cubs is
complicated! ). James seems to have left 2 odd socks, his uniform
trousers and his hoodie jumper! Odd socks I refuse to be bothered with:
we make plenty of those at home! The loss of the hoodie just shows how
wiped out he is, as it's a bit of clothing he's very attached to. Loss
of trousers is somehow very typical of my lad... I refuse to get
stressed about it: the hoodie and trousers were named, and it sounds
like the last 24 hours were hell for everyone. In the circumstances I
will NOT be making him pay for new trousers if they fail to make it
home. I bet they got packed in someone elses bag and will turn up real
soon!

Alan got the call from one of the other parents (I was out swimming with
a friend), who's hubby was on the trip, telling him they were heading
for home at would be back at 10:30 this evening. They were only ten
minutes out on their time estimate! With a van load of sick kids,
that's very good going. Akela and her gang deserve a big hug for
their efforts.

Other than the gruesomes, they seem to have had a great time: shooting,
archery, potholing, a farm visit, and other fun stuff. It's just a
shame it ended early like this, but these things happen.

He's off again for a more local camp at the end of the month... Only 2
night that time, so less luggage, but he might need the tent!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

I sent this last night, but it doesn't appear to have turned up yet!
Old June 5th 04, 05:24 PM

Oh, Kate! Poor {{{{James}}}}.

My little darling (age 19 now and 6'2") went to his first sleep away camp as
a Webelo Scout. Only for three night, but I was a mess. Went to pick him up
and he was quite listless and complained about the itchy "mosquito bites"
all over. DH, the doctor, took one look, said Chicken Pox, and went to ream
out the camp nurse while I bundled DS into the car! The "nurse" was actually
just a health aide with some CPR training :-( She said, "Well, it looks more
like mosquito bites to me." She didn't even think to check for fever when a
boy that age chose to take a nap in the afternoon instead of canoeing across
the pond and shooting archery!! Of the other 5 boys in his shelter, only two
had already had CP so the rest came down one by one over the next two weeks.
Classic!

Kate Dicey wrote:

[...]

Anne in CA
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl
Crow
http://home.covad.net/~arudolph/annes.htm

remove NOSPAM to reply
Old June 5th 04, 07:51 PM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

Are they sure it wasn't food poisoning? They say much of the time when
people get the '12' or '24' hr "bug", it's actually food poisoning on a
smaller scale.

Poor kid. No one wants to be sick away from home.

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

---

Old June 5th 04, 08:36 PM
Kate Dicey

Oh, Kate! Poor {{{{James}}}}.

My little darling (age 19 now and 6'2") went to his first sleep away camp as
a Webelo Scout. Only for three night, but I was a mess. Went to pick him up
and he was quite listless and complained about the itchy "mosquito bites"
all over. DH, the doctor, took one look, said Chicken Pox, and went to ream
out the camp nurse while I bundled DS into the car! The "nurse" was actually
just a health aide with some CPR training :-( She said, "Well, it looks more
like mosquito bites to me." She didn't even think to check for fever when a
boy that age chose to take a nap in the afternoon instead of canoeing across
the pond and shooting archery!! Of the other 5 boys in his shelter, only two
had already had CP so the rest came down one by one over the next two weeks.
Classic!

Ear chewing definitely in order on that one! Good grief! I've seen
enough mozzie bits and chicken poxes to know how different they are, and
yer average 9 YO on camp would never choose to have a nap rather than
getting wet, muddy, shooting things, and generally having fun!

Akela and her gang called the doc in, and he prodded and looked at all
the ikk ones and said '12 hour bug, probably viral', which turns out to
be as accurate as you'll get!

James is already looking forward to the next camp. He loved the
archery, the shooting (air riffles), the 'potholing' in artificial pot
holes made out of concrete sewer pipes from the sound of it, the singing
round the camp fire, making proper fires to cook their burgetrs on, and
all the lot. I have no doubt that when they all next meet, they will be
swapping tales of how revolting they all were!
Old June 5th 04, 10:43 PM
Lizzy Taylor

LN (remove NOSPAM) wrote:
Are they sure it wasn't food poisoning? They say much of the time when
people get the '12' or '24' hr "bug", it's actually food poisoning on a
smaller scale.

Well they'll just have to learn to cook better !

Lizzy (who has eaten her fair share of fish fingers that were hot on the
outside and frozen on the inside)

--
Lizzy Taylor
Heywood, Lancashire, UK 53:36:00N 2:06:00E

Old June 6th 04, 06:17 AM
hfw

Poor kid! What a mess...

(hugs)

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

Old June 6th 04, 01:31 PM
Kate Dicey

hfw wrote:

Poor kid! What a mess...

(hugs)

Well, one of the adults went down with it finally last night! He's fit
to come with us to the cinema today, though. Definitely a bug: food
poisoning wouldn't take 3 days to hit.
Old June 6th 04, 03:06 PM
hfw

Yup... I can be a slow learner... Around 15 years ago, I came down with food
poisoning three times one summer before figuring out that chicken is not the
best thing to order in the summer in restaurants that are trendy enough to
want to cook it *just* through to keep moist. But that hit, every time, 6-10
hours later.

Is the new Harry Potter movie opening there? That'd take the kids minds off
their recent tummy problems for sure!

Old June 7th 04, 12:42 AM
Kate Dicey

hfw wrote:

Yup... I can be a slow learner... Around 15 years ago, I came down with food
poisoning three times one summer before figuring out that chicken is not the
best thing to order in the summer in restaurants that are trendy enough to
want to cook it *just* through to keep moist. But that hit, every time, 6-10
hours later.

Is the new Harry Potter movie opening there? That'd take the kids minds off
their recent tummy problems for sure!

--Heidi

It did - beautifully! I booked tickets for seven, and James's best
friend Marks and his family came with us. Mark was really quite ill
with the bug, and, like James, one of the first to go down with it. His
dad was the one that succomed last night, but he was fine this
afternoon. Harry Potter was the perfect antidote! They all came
back and ate pork stir fry in the garden with us this evening.

I did the food poison thing with some cheese once... Ate the same
cheese at the same time 3 weeks in a row. We'd frozen it at Christmas
and this was a month or so later. By mid evening I was turned inside
out! After the third doze, we made the connection, and the rest of it
went in the bin!

Best Home Base Work Reynard Beads 0 November 10th 04 12:53 AM
OT sorta : Back home and back online - long Heather Cross Quilting 3 May 11th 04 03:45 AM
finally back home, good news and bad news Terbear Quilting 3 April 8th 04 02:37 PM
I'm Home!!! Debbi Quilting 1 April 8th 04 02:48 AM
She's Home!!! mkahogan Beads 4 August 7th 03 05:47 PM