Making Pillows & Pillow Shams

Old April 28th 04, 01:16 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

Default Making Pillows & Pillow Shams

Hi Guys,
Well, I have loads of duplicate blocks left from Janet's Fire {{{Quilt}}}
and more arrive almost every day. I have enough of them that was thinking of
making 2 pillow shams in addition to 2 or 3 little pillows to go with the
quilt. I still have quite a few of the strip pieced blocks that my friends
helped make and I will use those in all the "accessory" things I make so that
everything coordinates.
So -- I hadn't actually thought about quilting the pillow & sham tops but I
think I should. I would thknk that they wont get laundered as often as the
quilt and I don't think I actually need to use my Warm & Natural batting for
them. I was thinking of using flannel instead and wondered if anyone had done
that before. Since flannel shrinks so much, I would pre-wash it. I like the
look you get when you *don't* pre-wash the batting but flannel just seems to
shrink more than the batting.
Any thought on using the flannel or should I try something else? The
thought of trying to deal with the batting in seam allowances and zipper seams
does NOT make me happy -- LOLOL! CiaoMeow ^;;^
..
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old April 28th 04, 01:31 PM
hfw

They're not here for me to look at anymore, but the pillows I did had one
side quilted to a thin fusible batt. Actually I think it was a fusible
fleece. I remember that it was synthetic, and that I really didn't have any
trouble with the seams. Just remember to take a stitch or two diagonally
across the corners to keep the points sharp. (That is just *so
counterintuitive!). The pics are in my webshots album.

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

"Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply " wrote in
message ...

.

Old April 28th 04, 01:51 PM
Roberta Zollner

If you have enough, why not make a lap quilt? One only spends about 8 hours
out of the 24 in bed under a quilt, so IMO a lap quilt is the best way to
bring quilt snuggling time up to an acceptable level.
Roberta in D

Old April 28th 04, 02:09 PM
Pat in Virginia

Mary:
IMO, a thin cotton batting is the answer! Try something thinner and
softer than W&N. You could Thinsulate. I think that is what I've used,
or something very similar. It is sturdy enough that I did not back it. I
just quilted through the top and the batting. It is so thin that it does
not matter in the seams. I do not use zippers. I just make an overlapped
back.

In everyday use and in overall appearance, the batting really does make
a big difference in quilted cushion covers, so I guess the same is true
for shams. It maintains a nice shape even when it gets mussed from naps
and from being handled daily as the bed lines are arranged. It
complements the texture and quilting in the quilt. It is no more work
than that flannel you mentioned. The flannel would be too soft and
floppy IMO.
Now, who is Janet? What happened to her? I was AWOL the NG for awhile!
PAT in VA/USA

Tia Mary

Old April 28th 04, 04:32 PM
clancy

The quilt looks beautiful ... I find it amazing how quickly some of you can
work. Great job.

Sharon (N.B.)

Old April 28th 04, 06:32 PM
Jalynne

Why use zippers? When I make shams, I make them so that there are two back pieces
that overlap...no closures necessary. they're quick and easy to make, and way less
frustrating.
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list
See what DH is up to at http://www.teamintraining.org/participant/kinney-162652

Old April 28th 04, 06:45 PM
Dannielle

Well, if you quilt just the front of the pillow sham and do an envelope
closing in the back with a single piece of fabric, that should alleviate a
lot of the batting in the seam allowance issues. That's the way I would
think to do it anyway. Of course, I haven't managed to do the pillows to
match my quilt yet either, and I have had the forms and fabric for about two
years now!

Dannielle

Old April 29th 04, 05:32 AM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

From: "Jalynne"

Why use zippers? When I make shams, I make them so that there are two back
pieces
that overlap...no closures necessary. they're quick and easy to make, and
way less
frustrating.

First off, you guys gotta remember that most of my sewing lately is Home Dec
stuff and I *always* use zippers in those types of pillows :-)! The finishing
work I do for the Needlework Magazine, the needlework designer and
Plaid/Bucilla don't have any closure at all -- they are sewn shut as they don't
get used! That just goes against the grain for me -- LOL!
The pillow shams -- IF Janet wants them -- will have the standard overlap
back. Several of the pillows will be extra special because I will be using the
blocks sent by Janet's family. They were fairly big pieces of fabric and not
suitable for the quilt. Those will definitely have zippers on them and most
likely have some sort of "froufy" looking upholstery or drapery fabric for a
back.
OK -- for the "regular" quilt block pillows I might do an overlap back with
some velcro buttons. That will depend on the fabric I use for the backs. I
will have to check the LQS in Lizard Land while I am there for some thinner
batting than the W&N to use for the fronts. Does anyone have any ideas where I
can get the "Thinsulate" that was mentioned in one of the other posts???
Thanks & ciaoMeow ^;;^
..

Old April 29th 04, 05:39 AM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

From: Pat in Virginia

....... Now, who is Janet? What happened to her? I was AWOL the NG for awhile!

Janet is my Stitchin' Buddy and the very first friend I made when I moved
here to Magnoliaville. I met her online and she helped me a lot with the
transition from Lizard Land to Hotlanta!!
What happened to her, you ask??? Well, on Palm Sunday, just 3 1/3 weeks
ago, Janet lost everything she owned including her THREE KITTIES in a
disastrous house fire! Four other homes were a total loss also. Janet's
family is out of state and she considers DH and myself her closest friends
here. She called me about 30 minutes after she was removed from her home and
by the time we got there -- 15 minutes later, her home and the other 4 were
nothing but charred ruins.
I have made Janet a {{{Quilt}}} with the generous help of all the wonderful
people her at RCTQ. Here is the link to my Webshots site you would like to see
pix of the blocks and the quilt top
http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
. I gave Janet the {{{Quilt}}} this evening and she was speachless and in
tears. She plans on posting a thank you in the next few days. I will post
more tomorrow -- just too tired tonight :-)))! CiaoMeow ^;;^
..

Old May 3rd 04, 08:34 AM
Leigh Harris

Hi Tia Mary

I made some pillow cases recently, to match bed quilts. I decided they
needed quilting to give them strength, but I didn't want to use batting.
Instead, I just backed the top with some calico (muslin) and quilted through
that. It still gave the look of quilting and gave the needed stability, but
wasn't bulky or extra fluffy for the pillow. Then I just made the case/sham
up as normal.

HTH

--
Leigh