Suggestions for a substitute?

Old July 19th 03, 06:55 PM
spampot

Default Suggestions for a substitute?

At this year's Sheep & Wool Fest, I picked up a pattern at the Euroflax
booth for a knitted handbag. It called for the chunky Euroflax, which
looks rather raffia-like, but that yarn only comes in a few weird
colors, none of which I like or can even stand. I'd like to use a
neutral of some kind. I know I could swatch til I found the right gauge
yarn, but I want something sturdy like the Euroflax stuff. Does anyone
have any suggestions for a suitable substitute?

Old July 19th 03, 07:07 PM
SlinkyToy

The info I'm finding says the Euroflax chunky is a bulky-weight yarn. How
about bulky kitchen cotton? Or a really wide rayon ribbon?

Old July 19th 03, 09:58 PM
spampot

I'm hoping to use something that wouldn't need to be washed as much as
kitchen cotton would. Rayon ribbon is a really interesting possibility;
I've never knitted with ribbon before. Thanks!

Old July 19th 03, 10:49 PM
SlinkyToy

Well, you'll need to wash it as often as it gets too dirty for you to
tolerate - regardless of the yarn you choose

Old July 20th 03, 04:20 AM
spampot

Yes, that's why I was looking for a black, dark brown, gray or beige
yarn to make it out of! Kitchen cotton is white, you see.

Old July 20th 03, 02:55 PM
spampot

Hm, could I use that on the Euroflax chunky, and then not have to worry
about a substitute at all, I wonder??

Old July 20th 03, 03:39 PM
Karen

"spampot" wrote in message
At this year's Sheep & Wool Fest, I picked up a pattern at the Euroflax
booth for a knitted handbag. It called for the chunky Euroflax, which
looks rather raffia-like, but that yarn only comes in a few weird
colors, none of which I like or can even stand. I'd like to use a
neutral of some kind. I know I could swatch til I found the right gauge
yarn, but I want something sturdy like the Euroflax stuff. Does anyone
have any suggestions for a suitable substitute?

Would hemp work? Yarnforward.com stocks hemp/cotton blend that is neutral
in color, it only comes in "natural" which is sort of a tan, and it is
classified as a chunky.

Old July 20th 03, 04:23 PM
SlinkyToy

Hm, I've never worked with hemp. You might get onto some of the fiber
groups on yahoo (spin-list comes immediately to mind) and pose the question.
I dye wool. The one time I tried to dye cotton I got a color completely
other than what I was expecting, very disappointing.

Hell, with kitchen cotton and RIT you probably don't need a mordant. I've
used RIT for years to overdye tshirts and whatnot that "accidentally" are
dyed pink by the spousal unit when he does laundry...As long as I don't use
black the color comes out quite nicely and lasts forever.

Old July 20th 03, 11:56 PM
spampot

Karen wrote:
"spampot" wrote in message

At this year's Sheep & Wool Fest, I picked up a pattern at the Euroflax
booth for a knitted handbag. It called for the chunky Euroflax, which
looks rather raffia-like, but that yarn only comes in a few weird
colors, none of which I like or can even stand. I'd like to use a
neutral of some kind. I know I could swatch til I found the right gauge
yarn, but I want something sturdy like the Euroflax stuff. Does anyone
have any suggestions for a suitable substitute?

Would hemp work? Yarnforward.com stocks hemp/cotton blend that is neutral
in color, it only comes in "natural" which is sort of a tan, and it is
classified as a chunky.

Ooooh, thank you, great suggestion! Roger, what do you think?