Helloooooooo! Anyone there?

Old April 5th 12, 08:17 PM posted to alt.beenz,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

Default Helloooooooo! Anyone there?

On 4/2/2012 5:52 PM, Susan Hartman wrote:
On 3/31/2012 11:41 PM, Liz from Humbug wrote:

DH just had allergy testing last week& we need to work on dust mites
& mold. He's also allergic to some trees, grasses& weeds but we

SNIP

DD had terrible allergies/asthma, and we had good results from pulling
up carpet in bedroom and encasing mattress and pillows. We did not go as
far as the DeMite stuff...I think I bought one package with the best of
intentions...but you know where that leads: It's still in the closet.

sue

When we unsuccessfully put our house on the market (after the MIL died),
we decided that we would be living here forever. We had all the
carpeting and lino ripped up...and large porcelain tiles laid throughout
the entire house. It wasn't cheap....but is SO much easier to maintain;
I have also noticed the electric bills have dropped, because they tend
to retain the ambient temperature for a longer time. Also, of course,
none of that crappy carpet dust, and smells. We have a couple of area
rugs, where the dogs like to rest on a cool day.

Gill

Old April 6th 12, 11:11 AM posted to alt.beenz,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 4/5/12 8:07 AM, Bruce wrote:
On 04/04/2012 13:14, Karen C in Calif wrote:
Bruce wrote:

quite a drug regime morning & evening. Getting old is not for the
faint-hearted!

Or the poor. A friend calculated they spent several hundred dollars a
month on prescription co-pays for the two of them.

COPYRIGHT 2012 -- PERMISSION GIVEN TO POST ON
USENET AND GOOGLE GROUPS NEWSREADER ONLY,
BUT IF FOUND ON TWITTER OR SEW GIRLS, IT HAS
BEEN REPUBLISHED WITHOUT MY PERMISSION WHICH
CONSTITUTES ILLEGAL COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT

Fortunately I live in Scotland so all NHS prescriptions are free!
http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Health/NHS-Scotland/Health-Costs/pres-charges

not exactly - you do pay taxes don't you

Old April 6th 12, 02:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in Calif

Gillian Murray wrote:

Hopefully the dead one
was just a lemon.

Entirely possible. When I was looking for a new laptop, I asked a geeky
friend for recommendations, and bought the identical one to his. We use
and abuse them in similar fashion; his is still running fine, while mine
made its first trip back for warranty service within a few months.

I will give them this, when I sent it back one last time a week before
the warranty expired, they literally replaced everything except the case
(I have a sticker on it, so I know the same case was returned).

Since his hasn't given him a lick of trouble, we have to assume that
mine was just a lemon. Nonetheless, I'm going back to Toshiba from now on.

--

Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Finished 3/18/12 -- Monogram by Rita Weiss

WIP: Stitchers Days of Christmas
http://www.crossstitchjoy.com/catalo...oducts_id=3865
Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono (Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

www.CFSfacts.org -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
(also on Facebook)
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Old April 13th 12, 05:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 4/5/12 2:52 PM, in article , "Gillian Murray"
wrote:

On 3/26/2012 10:59 AM, ndjoan wrote:

Certainly sounds like it needs replacing! Good thing you caught it when
you did!

My microwave died last month, also a GE. However, we bought it Dec
2010...so just out of warranty!

I can't believe I was so silly, but I replaced it with the identical
machine (however, it was "built" last October). Hopefully the dead one
was just a lemon.

Gill

Ouch. Hopefully this one will do better.

We just got the "re-up your appliance warranty" offer. I'm having the big
discussion with DH about this, and am definitely not doing the micro, or I
think the dishwasher, but I think we are doing the others. Not sure.
Comparing the cost of replacement vs the warranty - which covers in house
service or 45% of new one or replacement with likely refurbished..... DH
thinks we should continue with the warranty. But mostly because our
fabulous dryer with the top part that has the mesh shelves for sweaters, etc
is no longer made. We have a couple of months - the warranty is in effect
until July. We'll see - though they say that you can't use the new
(renewal) for the first 60 days or some such crap) after it comes in effect
- but I think that means if it lapses.

The other thing - in my family we don't buy GE stuff - because of an old,
old thing which had to do with my father & his old partner when I was a very
young child, and perhaps before I was born. DH just shakes his head. My dad
was an electronics engineer, and the founding partner in his company (there
were 3 founding guys total Crosby Electronics) - who later went to a
different company - a brilliant guy. Anyhow - they had a some patents on
early Hi-Fidelity (Stereo) stuff and were producing Hi-Fi Receivers, back in
the day when the tuners (radio) were separate, etc. Started doing quite
well, selling in the NY area, and lower NE. Long story short - big time
patent infringement - with....GE. GE sent some spies into the manufacturing
plant, got some guy off the line, yada yada, lawsuits, company dissolved -
people to other jobs. Won suit. GE appealed. Little guys lose. New
appeal. Little guys win. New appeal - thru state supreme court then into
Federal by which time it didn't matter anymore because GE has much, more
money than the little guys. There was a settlement eventually -
but......lets just say the brilliant guy ended up working Harmon Kardon &
then Bose & died not long after, my dad finally went to Fischer Stereo after
some side trips, and would freak if anyone ever suggested buying anything
from GE! I don't think the settlement really ever made up for the massive
years and how it aged Bob, the frustration, and all those gazillion of
lawyer fees. Everytime they'd win - then the GE counsel office about a
month later would notify them of some obscure reason to go appeal to a
higher court.

Ellice

Old April 13th 12, 05:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 4/6/12 9:21 AM, in article , "Karen C in
Calif" wrote:

Gillian Murray wrote:

Hopefully the dead one
was just a lemon.

Entirely possible. When I was looking for a new laptop, I asked a geeky
friend for recommendations, and bought the identical one to his. We use
and abuse them in similar fashion; his is still running fine, while mine
made its first trip back for warranty service within a few months.

I will give them this, when I sent it back one last time a week before
the warranty expired, they literally replaced everything except the case
(I have a sticker on it, so I know the same case was returned).

Since his hasn't given him a lick of trouble, we have to assume that
mine was just a lemon. Nonetheless, I'm going back to Toshiba from now on.

Essentially, anyone that knows about QC in the days of modern electronics
will tell you that it follows what is known as a bathtub curve. Imagine a
curve that looks like an old-fashioned bathtub, sort of a U with a very wide
bottom. Meaning things either will fail very early in their lifetime, or
very late in their lifetime, with a low probabiltiy in the middle. But you
have to combine this with the overall reliability of solid state
electronics.

It's just like any normal distribution curve, the same as saying some people
are accident prone. There will always be some things out there in the
"failing right away" or "having more accidents than the median" - and indeed
- that is normal. By definition - that's just how it goes. It's just
luck of the draw - someone is always going to get that 1 of 1000 that has
the early failure.

The bathtub curve thing is why the extended warranty isn't a good deal for
most electronics. Unless you're someone who puts a lot of wear and tear on
your computer, or who needs a lot of hand-holding, or it's a machine with
lots of moving parts - like front-loading washers (I know - we've used the
service calls). Etc.

Ellice

Old April 13th 12, 08:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

wrote:

Gillian Murray wrote:

[...]

I hadn't heard the "bathtub" description. However DH...another
electronics engineer, says that if electronics are going to break, they
will do it very early in their life. Consequently, he doesn't buy
extended warranties.

I did buy one fro a frig in a house I owned, and was renting out in
Maryland. Also, when we bought my last washer and dryer (Whirlpool
Cabrios, I LOVE them), I decided I wanted the extended. You never know
when something will break, and Jim was sick, or something, and I needed
the service guy to fix it. Probably, just because I did this, I will
never need it...but it is an insurance policy, so to speak. I am older
than DH...but in much better health (keeping fingers crossed).

Gill
Old April 13th 12, 08:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

wrote:

Gillian Murray wrote:

[...]

In the 80s as statistical anal for QC was being standardized on solid state
electronics, that's the shape of the curve - hence the name. Just like the
"bell curve" for a normal distribution, or what is talked about for most
grade distributions in a class in school. Since your DH is a bit older than
me, I'd suspect this came about a while after he was in school...so he'd
know about this early in life failure from work experience.

I did buy one fro a frig in a house I owned, and was renting out in
Maryland. Also, when we bought my last washer and dryer (Whirlpool
Cabrios, I LOVE them), I decided I wanted the extended. You never know
when something will break, and Jim was sick, or something, and I needed
the service guy to fix it. Probably, just because I did this, I will
never need it...but it is an insurance policy, so to speak. I am older
than DH...but in much better health (keeping fingers crossed).

Gill

We have likely the same thinking about the warranties - we bought them here
because there are more than just the electronics involved - all these
latches, etc. And it's bizarre the things that break, and ridiculous how
pricey some of them are. I've been sitting here browsing the pricing of
replacements for our major appliances to decide about the warranty stuff.
Uck. Eventually we'll decide.

We joined a buying service (not Costco) several months ago - after visiting
their showroom. DH decided though it's a pricey membership - we have enough
stuff still to do with the house, that it is worth it - because it is a very
good deal, and we liked their ethics - we had to sign a lot of
confidentiality don't abuse the system, stores, etc things. But the also
carry home building supplies things. So, I'm checking thru them to see the
replacement costs, etc - and then we'll make some decisions. Good thing -
this service - the local franchise also has installers, support for various
things. And the warranties for what you buy are normally extended for some
nominal fee - not a ridiculous sum.

Well, back to resting again.

Ellice