OT increasing vocabulary

Old January 18th 04, 01:24 AM
Patricia Rogers

"Advice: What you ask for when you already know the answer to the question
and don't like it." - Erica Jong.

Love this definition!

Pat in Illinois

Old January 18th 04, 02:06 AM
Texasxsgal1

I really like yours
Elizabeth g but I love discombobulate.

I used to use this all the time with my third graders back when I was teaching.
They would use it to,with some *very* interesting pronunciations LOLOL

kathy
san antonio
Old January 18th 04, 05:43 AM
Brenda Lewis

So has anyone else on here played a game called Fictionary?

All you need is a dictionary (the bigger the better), paper,
pencils/pens, and a group of players. A chalkboard or other display is
optional. One person selects an uncommon word from the dictionary and
says it aloud and spells it to the group (and write on chalkboard). The
selector writes the correct definition on his/her slip of paper (does
not have to be verbatim from the dictionary) and all the other players
make up a definition to write on their slips. The selector reads all
the definitions aloud (can also write on chalkboard). All players
except the selector vote for which definition is correct.

After that, my memory fades on how it is scored. I know the selector
gets points if most players vote for a false definition *and* the author
of that false definition gets points too. I think points are taken away
from the selector if most players select the correct definition. Does
anyone know the scoring? I haven't played since college.

BTW, the word I selected which flummoxed my group was zygodactyl (of a
bird--having toes arranged with two in front and two behind). Most of
the false choices had something to do with zygote.

--
Brenda Lewis
WIP: "Pink Baby" photo frame, Candamar

Old January 18th 04, 04:22 PM
MaryJane Frank

"Dr. Brat" wrote in message

Fun to see that there are other subscribers to AWAD here!

My most favorite word: ameliorate: to make or become better, improve.

My most favorite is lethologica . . . that is loosely defined as the
condition
of not being able to recall a word you are trying desperately to remember!
Happens to me all the time.

MJ

---

Old January 19th 04, 03:48 AM
Texasxsgal1

We used to play this is college too
I was usually made the selector, mainly because i had a very large vocabulary
and ogften knew the words the selector picked. Having two of the same defiin
itions was usually a dead giveaway. then I began to make up definitions even
when I knew the real one. that was a lot more fun
kathy
san antonio
Old January 19th 04, 10:46 AM
Helen

"MaryJane Frank" wrote in message link.net...
My most favorite is lethologica . . . that is loosely defined as the
condition
of not being able to recall a word you are trying desperately to remember!
Happens to me all the time.

I *hate* it when that happens. I've been known to sit with a
dictionary, reviewing words trying to "find" the word I lost. It
actually works a lot of the time, assuming I've remembered the correct
beginning of the word. If not, well ...

Helen
Old January 19th 04, 08:11 PM
MaryJane Frank

"Helen" wrote

I *hate* it when that happens. I've been known to sit with a
dictionary, reviewing words trying to "find" the word I lost. It
actually works a lot of the time, assuming I've remembered the correct
beginning of the word. If not, well ...

If I am writing and it happens and the dictionary and thesaurus
don't help, I generally put (lethologica kicking in) in the place
designated for whatever word I can't recall. Sometimes . . .
not always, unfortunately . . . when I reread what I have written
the word pops into place. If not . . . I have been known to send
"as is"!

MJ

---

Old January 19th 04, 10:32 PM
Karen C - California

In article .net, "MaryJane
Frank" writes:

I generally put (lethologica kicking in) in the place
designated for whatever word I can't recall.

Old journalist trick, put TK ("to come") in that spot. My spellcheck approves
TC but not TK, so it sits there in all its red-underlined glory, catching my
eye every time I scroll past, until I fix it.

And if I miss it, every editor around knows what it means, and calls me to ask
what it's supposed to say.

--
Finished 12/14/03 -- Mermaid (Dimensions)
WIP: Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe, Guide the Hands (2d

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html