Mandrel size question

Old May 14th 05, 12:35 AM
Cindy Schoepp

Default Mandrel size question

I know a lot of people her either make lampwork or buy or admire...or all
of the above. My question is what if the preferred mandrel size?

I learned on a3/16, but am curious if a smaller mandrel is a selling
feature...or is it mainly the quality and style of bead?

I have never used 1/16, but have heard is more difficult.

Thanks!

Cindy

Old May 14th 05, 12:57 AM

I personally would like to find someone who would make lampwork beads
on a bigger mandrel. I like to string my polymer beads on waxed lined
cord and a small lampwork bead makes a nice accent if I can find one
that has a hole big enough for the cord to go through twice. I have no
idea what's considered the best hole size among lampwork artists, but
I'm always happy when I buy a set of beads and they have larger holes!

Cheryl

Old May 14th 05, 01:11 AM
JC

I tend to use 3/32 mandrels, myself. However, I will use 1/16 if I'm
looking to make a smaller lentil or use any press. I find it near
impossible to use the press on a larger mandrel. And there is no doubt
that tabs pressed beads and lentils sell well! But I also find that
large lentils (which I make on 3/32) sell well, too! That's just my
take. I'm looking forward to reading other's opinions.

Pura vida,
JC
www.jcherrellglass.com
http://stores.ebay.com/JC-Herrell-Glass

Old May 14th 05, 02:26 AM
Glitzy Glass

I used to use a 1/16 th mandrel for all my beads - but I now mostly use
the 3/32 because I find that so many people prefer the larger hole.
Plus a 3/32 hole can be adapted with seed beads to make a smaller hole
for the designer, so ithe larger size seems to be more versitile.

Denise R.
Glitzy Glass Studio
www.glassbeadz.com

Old May 14th 05, 04:47 AM
gwacie

Majority of my customers like the 1/16" holes but not all. I use lots of
different sized mandrels depending on what I am making. For a long time big
holes were not desired, now folks seem to be more flexible.

1/16 is actually easier for smaller beads than 3/32 mandrels but can be a
bit more tricky for larger beads until you get used to being careful with
them.

Old May 14th 05, 04:48 AM
gwacie

Cheryl, I use waxed linen all the time and use my 1/16 hole mandrel beads to
go up, thru an end bead and back down again. I think it depends on the
thickness of your cord. I am POSITIVE that the glass artists here would
custom make your beads on whatever size mandrel you want though (grin)

oups.com...

Old May 14th 05, 05:06 AM
Kandice Seeber

Actually I found 1/16" to be easier - especially when making smaller beads.
I also learned on the 3/32". For me, the difference in sales is minimal.
People like either size, so do what works best for you.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old May 14th 05, 05:07 AM
Kandice Seeber

Oh, totally.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Cheryl, I use waxed linen all the time and use my 1/16 hole mandrel beads

go up, thru an end bead and back down again. I think it depends on the
thickness of your cord. I am POSITIVE that the glass artists here would
custom make your beads on whatever size mandrel you want though (grin)

wrote in message
oups.com...
I personally would like to find someone who would make lampwork beads on

bigger mandrel.

Here are some christmas Patterns Enjoy Warmhands Yarn 0 November 28th 04 04:20 PM
Knitting - another question! Dianne Lewandowski Needlework 9 October 21st 04 09:19 PM
Deciding on Quilt Size? dogmom Quilting 5 October 5th 04 12:55 AM
Needle/Hook Size Kathryn Yarn 13 January 22nd 04 09:27 AM
how do I size thread? Jean Peach Sewing 1 July 11th 03 05:30 PM