How do I know its crystal

Old January 12th 04, 09:32 PM
ally

Default How do I know its crystal

One of my elderly customers gave me a broken necklace recently, she
thinks it is about 40 years old and crystal.

Well tonite I took the beads off the cord they were on (which was
gross!) and washed them as they were quite grubby. They have come up a
beautiful clear with what appears to be an AB finish on them, some are
more coated than others.

My query is how do I know these are crystal and not just glass? I would
like to make them into some things to resale and I'd like to be able to
say if it was crystal or not.

Oh and the old lady who gave me the beads doesnt want them (or anything
for them) but they washed up so nicely I am making a pair of earings
from some of them for her.
:-)

--
ally
website: www.alcom.demon.co.uk
Old January 12th 04, 11:45 PM
Kandice Seeber

It's hard to tell, but generally, if they are leaded crystal, the edges of
the beads will be sharp. Firepolished glass generally has more rounded
facets. Can you post a link to a pic?

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old January 13th 04, 02:33 AM
Black Cat Beads

Also leaded crystal is actually heavier in weight than just plain glass

--

Nicole
**********************************

Old January 13th 04, 05:17 AM
DreamBeadr

My query is how do I know these are crystal and not just glass?

Hi Ally,
First, they will feel a bit heavier in your hand. They will also have sharper
edges. And also the age, with the AB coating still intact under the grime is a
good indication also.
Here is a photo of Austrian Crystal, Czech Crystal and Czech Firepolish side by
side.
Just scroll past the Bali stuff
http://www.whimbeads.com/compare.html

Beki
http://www.whimbeads.com
Old January 13th 04, 07:29 AM
Shirley Shone

Thanks for that Beki. I have a drawer full of the from the antique
fairs. Every time I go I seem to bring back several necklaces. One stall
I visit the lady actually saves them for me.

I will check them all out today
Shirley

In article , DreamBeadr
writes

Old January 13th 04, 04:28 PM
DreamBeadr

i needed that link for my "explanations page"!!

Hi Vicki,
You are welcome.
Do you have a link to your "explanations page"? =o)

Beki
http://www.whimbeads.com

Old January 13th 04, 04:30 PM
DreamBeadr

Thanks for that Beki

You are welcome Shirley.
Another good way to spot with the nekkid eye is to just look for the clarity of
the bead. Crystal is clearer and brighter because of the lead content.

And lucky you with a drawer full!!

Beki
http://www.whimbeads.com
Old January 13th 04, 07:20 PM
Dr. Sooz

Here is a photo of Austrian Crystal, Czech Crystal and Czech Firepolish side
by
side.
Just scroll past the Bali stuff
http://www.whimbeads.com/compare.html

Fabulous, Beki. Links List addition.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old January 13th 04, 09:10 PM
ally

In article , DreamBeadr
writes
My query is how do I know these are crystal and not just glass?

Hi Ally,
First, they will feel a bit heavier in your hand. They will also have sharper
edges. And also the age, with the AB coating still intact under the grime is a
good indication also.
Here is a photo of Austrian Crystal, Czech Crystal and Czech Firepolish side by
side.
Just scroll past the Bali stuff
http://www.whimbeads.com/compare.html

Beki
http://www.whimbeads.com

Beki

Thanks the piccie is really helpful - not in the case of these beads
unfortunately, but just for use for modern stuff, particularly the bali.
Thanks ever so much.
:-)
Old January 13th 04, 09:14 PM
ally

Thanks everyone. I'll try and post a piccie on my website (when I get a
new FTP prog) and you can look and see them.

:-)