Quilts and history - suggestions anyone?

Old August 28th 04, 02:10 AM
Sue DiNapoli

Default Quilts and history - suggestions anyone?

Hello all -

I am going to be working with one of our fourth grade teachers this
year. We're going to be doing a unit on quilts. They'll be studying NY
history in social studies. I'm thinking of doing something about quilts
with the underground railroad and Harriett Tubman (who lived just north
of us in Auburn, NY) Anyone have any ideas on where I can find good
examples of historic quilts? I already have "Hidden in Plain View" and
hope to find more information about the history of quilts and the
underground railroad...any idea where to go? All help is appreciated.
(by me as well as a very excited fourth grade teacher and all the future
recipients of quilts made by the potential quilters in this group of
kids.) THANKS!!

Sue
Old August 28th 04, 02:59 AM
Julia Altshuler

Sue DiNapoli wrote:
Hello all -

I am going to be working with one of our fourth grade teachers this
year. We're going to be doing a unit on quilts. They'll be studying NY
history in social studies. I'm thinking of doing something about quilts
with the underground railroad and Harriett Tubman (who lived just north
of us in Auburn, NY) Anyone have any ideas on where I can find good
examples of historic quilts? I already have "Hidden in Plain View" and
hope to find more information about the history of quilts and the
underground railroad...any idea where to go?

sigh After you've used "Hidden in Plain View" as your example of
scholarly research in history, you can use The Weekly World News or The
National Enquirer for the newspaper in current events and Edgar Cayce as
your expert in science. Good luck.

--Lia

Old August 28th 04, 03:52 AM
The Laws

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
Sue DiNapoli wrote:
Hello all -

I am going to be working with one of our fourth grade teachers this
year. We're going to be doing a unit on quilts. They'll be studying NY
history in social studies. I'm thinking of doing something about quilts
with the underground railroad and Harriett Tubman (who lived just north
of us in Auburn, NY) Anyone have any ideas on where I can find good
examples of historic quilts? I already have "Hidden in Plain View" and
hope to find more information about the history of quilts and the
underground railroad...any idea where to go?

sigh After you've used "Hidden in Plain View" as your example of
scholarly research in history, you can use The Weekly World News or The
National Enquirer for the newspaper in current events and Edgar Cayce as
your expert in science. Good luck.

--Lia

I suggest you find a different direction. While quilts and underground are
still romantic and promoted tongue in cheek, there is no historical or
proven fact, and in considerable written history of that period a connection
has never been mentioned or suggested. If you let the kids know its a
theory by a small group, not fact or history Good Luck. Kay

Old August 28th 04, 10:10 AM
georg

Sue DiNapoli wrote:

Hello all -

I am going to be working with one of our fourth grade teachers this
year. We're going to be doing a unit on quilts. They'll be studying NY
history in social studies. I'm thinking of doing something about quilts
with the underground railroad and Harriett Tubman (who lived just north
of us in Auburn, NY) Anyone have any ideas on where I can find good
examples of historic quilts? I already have "Hidden in Plain View" and
hope to find more information about the history of quilts and the
underground railroad...any idea where to go?

There's several articles out there that debate that myth, including a
nice one in the last issue of Quilter's Newsletter Magazine.

Some good articles of various quilt history topics are he
http://www.quilthistory.com/articles.htm

Particularly, a pro-article: http://www.quilthistory.com/ugrrquilts.htm
Which has a bibliography and links.

Personally, I think it is a load of bull. There are too many alternative
names for the same blocks. It's possible they were used as signals
within a particular community. Lots of things were- like songs and items
passed between people. The song "Follow the Drinking Gourd" is one of
the classic songs, with the Drinking gourd being the Big Dipper. But any
universal code would quickly be found out by whites.

But there were LOTS of quilts about at that time. One really great
example of a quilt from the Civil War is the Jane Stickle Quilt, which
has been well documented for historical context. We know much about what
Jane did during the war, and how her hsband and brother had to leave her
alone to mind the farm while she made the quilt. http://www.dearjane.com

-georg

Old August 28th 04, 12:36 PM
Roberta Zollner

I don't believe there IS any special link between quilts and the underground
railroad.

Can't remember the name of it, but there was a wonderful documentary made
about 15 years ago on quilting and how 19th century quilters used themes
from social and political issues in their work. E.g. the Temperance T block,
quilts for the 1st centennial.
Roberta in D

Old August 28th 04, 01:26 PM
nbhilyard

Great project! Be sure to take lots of pictures.

Since, as others have pointed out, the Underground Railroad quilts have been
shown to be a myth, I'd talk about 19th century household textiles: how
people reused household goods--turning shirt collars and cuffs, how initials
were embroidered on sheets and shirt-tails so the laundrywoman could keep
the customers straight -- and how scraps were used to make quilts.
If you could get 19th c repros for a class project they could make
9-patches or other simple patterns in period fabrics.
http://www.quilthistory.com/state.htm is a list of quilt history
books, state-by-state. There are four for New York. Out of print, but you
can get them at the library. Who knows, there may be one from your town!
(Also recommended: Barbara Brackman's books on Civil War-era quilts.)

Nann
Official Librarian of RCTQ

Old August 28th 04, 03:04 PM
Susan Laity Price

I am glad others spoke-up about the lack of good historical research
concerning the "Hidden in Plain View" book. I didn't want to be the
mean person and bring it up first.

Using quilts in the classroom to combine math, art and history is a
wonderful thing. There are several fiction books meant to be used in
the classroom. The story line features a quilt or quilt making.
Instructions are included for making the quilt after the book is read.
Sorry I don't have any titles but if you check with a children's
librarian I am sure they chould help you. Please emphasize the
recycling aspect (something we modern quilters have forgotten) and the
self expression for women at a time when they didn't have much say in
their world. And make sure you point out that not only women quilted.
American men think they can't hold a needle. Sorry for them.

Susan

Old August 28th 04, 04:49 PM
Sue DiNapoli

Haven't used anything yet...which is why I'm asking.
I've found it very difficult to get through "Hidden in Plain View" so I
haven't even found anything worth using in it as of yet. I have found a
few books on NY State history with quilts, but still have a looooong way
to go....
Sue

Old August 28th 04, 05:10 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article
,
Sue DiNapoli wrote:

Haven't used anything yet...which is why I'm asking.
I've found it very difficult to get through "Hidden in Plain View" so I
haven't even found anything worth using in it as of yet. I have found a
few books on NY State history with quilts, but still have a looooong way
to go....
Sue

I went to google and typed in "quilts in elementary curriculum" and got
a ton of responses. Several were lesson plans dealing with quilting and
math...but third on my list was a link to lesson plans on quilts and
women's history followed by several others along the historical line.
Before I poked around them too much, my computer hung, but I think you
might find some neat stuff out there. I did a similar thing when I
wanted to use quilts in my sons 8th grade art class and there were a lot
of great resources on the web.

Do keep us posted on what you end up doing!
marcella