kiln wash question

Old July 26th 03, 09:59 PM
psci_kw

Default kiln wash question

"David" wrote in message
I'm getting ready to put kiln wash on my new alumina shelves (for my new
Bailey kiln) and have a couple of questions:

Do I just put the wash on the shelves, or do I also put it on the posts?

How much glaze do you expect to run down onto the posts? There's your
answer.

I've got a strong table to store the shelves between firings. Does

stacking
the shelves on top of each other scrape off or affect the coating of kiln
wash very much?

I have found that stacking them vertically in a homemade wooden "cradle" (on
a table if you like) allows me to select just the right size shelf without
having to bother with unloading the pile down to the one i want. Keeps the
kiln wash in better shape too. As you probably guessed, you are going to
want different lengths and widths of shelves so as not to impede the
temperature in different parts of the kiln.

Wayne in Key West
"Throw out a broken shelf?! Not on your life!"

Old July 26th 03, 11:51 PM
annemarie

"David" wrote in message
I'm getting ready to put kiln wash on my new alumina shelves (for my new
Bailey kiln) and have a couple of questions:

Do I just put the wash on the shelves, or do I also put it on the posts?

I've got a strong table to store the shelves between firings. Does

stacking
the shelves on top of each other scrape off or affect the coating of kiln
wash very much?

Thanks,
David

See thread of L.Mac of 22nd

Important - Please beware of a company called Bohle Eric Russell Glass 2 August 23rd 04 07:46 PM
Old Kiln Question? jk Glass 16 November 26th 03 01:59 PM
Kiln Wash L.Mac Pottery 3 July 23rd 03 10:31 PM
Raku FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 20th 03 04:49 AM
Kiln question Kalera Stratton Beads 13 July 11th 03 06:35 AM