Stitchbow ?

Old April 2nd 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Stitchbow ?

Does anyone use the DMC Stitchbow system and is it worth buying?

Lucille

Old April 2nd 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"Lucille" ) writes:
Does anyone use the DMC Stitchbow system and is it worth buying?

Lucille

Personally I dont use them. From my memory of previous discussions,
some people love them; some hate them. I suspect you will get both types
of answers, which probably wont help you at all, to decide whether they are
worth buying.

Old April 2nd 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"F.James Cripwell" wrote in message
"Lucille" ) writes:
Does anyone use the DMC Stitchbow system and is it worth buying?

Lucille

Personally I dont use them. From my memory of previous discussions,
some people love them; some hate them. I suspect you will get both types
of answers, which probably wont help you at all, to decide whether they
are
worth buying.

I kind of remember there being a discussion and I have a feeling you're
right and it's a love it or hate it thing. So far I've not found anything
that suits my limited space and is easy to use, except bobbins. For me,
being lazy, bobbins just don't do it.

Lucille

Old April 2nd 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

F.James Cripwell wrote:
"Lucille" ) writes:

Does anyone use the DMC Stitchbow system and is it worth buying?

Lucille

Personally I dont use them. From my memory of previous discussions,
some people love them; some hate them. I suspect you will get both types
of answers, which probably wont help you at all, to decide whether they are
worth buying.

They cost a lot of money if you have a full set of floss to store.
Stitchbows are fine for storing full skeins of floss but not convenient
if you have leftover cut pieces. Also not easily adaptable to other
fibers since they were designed specifically for the storage of DMC
6-strand floss.

--
Brenda
Tickler of Chuzzles
Old April 2nd 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

I received a set of bows and storage book. The concept struck me as ideal
as I could store my DMC in a much smaller area. In practice, however, not
so ideal.

I found that the bows did not stay in the book. Therefore, every time I
opened the book, bows of floss would come tumbling out and I'd have to
organize them ... again.

Also, if you have older skeins of DMC, the labels won't fit on the little
slot made for them.

So I have the stuff sitting around here somewhere. Should probably try to
sell them on eBay. There are people who love them.

Helen

Old April 2nd 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

I was advised by someone that it's better and more efficient to use
loose-leaf binders rather than the storage box. And she doesn't use the DMC
Binder and just bought inexpensive ones in Staples instead.

That was the way I was thinking I would go, if I decide to try it at all.

Lucille

Old April 3rd 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

I have them - with a whole set on DMC -- and absolutely HATE them! The
floss was a real pain to get on the stitchbow (despite the ads about how
simple), the paper labels don't stay on the holders, and the stitchbows come
out of the plastic page holders (I've tried both the official "stitchbow"
pages and the standard ones from office supply store -- they don't stay in
either one). If I hadn't invested the money to buy the set I'd ditch the
whole thing -- but for now I feel I have to try to "get my money's worth".

Just my 2 cents worth.....

linda

Old April 3rd 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

It's "ok"... I prefer to use the bobbins, but for when I don't have time
to get them onto the bobbins, having the stitchbows for a temporary
measure works pretty well.

-Liz

Old April 3rd 06, 05:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

They work great for setting the colors on floss. Otherwise, forget about
them.

Phyllis Maurer

Old April 3rd 06, 01:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Lucille wrote:
Does anyone use the DMC Stitchbow system and is it worth buying?

Lucille

I have never used them. Right now, my floss is wrapped around the
little bobbins. I went to a discount store and bought a big tackle box
that has dividers that you can customize. Very cheap, maybe 8 dollars
or so. It is shaped like a briefcase, but smaller. There are two
levels with a pull out tray.I made compartments for the floss and
larger ones for scissors and threaders and pin cushions. It is easy to
cart around and the floss stays clean, but just don't knock it over
while it is open!!

I used to use the plastic sheets for baseball cards. I labeled each
slot with floss number and tucked the floss inside. I stored them
inside binders. That worked until I got some much floss and the books
got so fat.

Whatever method you choose, have fun. I found it fun to set up the
storage.

Di