Roll Call!

Old January 4th 05, 03:22 PM
..Mickie Swall..

I'm Mickie Swall and I live in Cranberry Township, which is about
20 miles north-west of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA. I've been
making quilts for about 10 years, taught myself how to sew on my
mom's treadle when I was about age six (had to stand up and work
the pedal with one foot g).

I joined the r.c.t.q. in 1998, shortly after our family purchased our
first computer. Since then, my 2 teenageers (DS, 17 & DD, 15 )
have their own computers, DH and I share this one. DH is really
into R/C Aircraft, he designs & builds them but lets the other guys
fly them, he's afraid to crash! LOL.

I work at home, making quilts for publication in two magazines and
also another famous quilt designer. In between paid jobs I design
and self-publish my own patterns for local distrbution, and teach them
at the LQS. I love being busy, though it limits my online time and I
don't post here too often.

I don't have a website yet, but some of my quilts are up for viewing
at http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mickieswall/my_photos

Mickie

Old January 4th 05, 03:27 PM
taria

Great idea Wendy
Taria here in So. Cal. I live in the yucky Inland Empire right now most
of the time but still have a house in the high desert that I really
think of as where I belong. I'm married 25 years come August to a
wonderful DH. We have 2 kids DS almost 22 that lives in San Diego now
and is going to school and works in law enforcement.
DD is 20 and lives with us and goes to school. They are both wonderful
and I am pretty proud of them. I have 3 QI's now. 2 kitties, Lily and
Maki whom I really enjoy even though I am a reformed cat hater.
An 8 mo Golden Retriever Georgia is my new buddy. Excepting that she
chases the kitties she is really a joy. She is getting big but still a
baby at heart.
I quilt a lot. HAve sewn since I was a little kid. Dad says I was born
already knowing how! 4H and Mrs. Flatten were a great help with
clothing construction and I took my first
quilting class in '75. I really like old quilts and old machines. I
enjoy the history of the quilters before me. If you need an old Singer
machine part holler. I have boxes full of the stuff when I can get to
it. I have an old web page that dh is threatening to update.
http://home1.gte.net/res6mc9p/taria/index.htm
Thanks for the great thread Wendy!
Taria in drizzly So. Cal.

frood wrote:

As newbies come and introduce themselves, we all say "hi" back to them. But,
while we learn a bit about them, they don't get to know us very easily. (ok,
except for a few gabby folks.... ;-P ) So, as a start to a new year, I
thought it would be fun to tell a bit about ourselves, and get to know each
other. I'm sure the newbies aren't the only one trying to keep the players
straight without a score card!

Ok, here goes! I'm Wendy, posting as "frood". I live in Central NC, USA. I'm
married to a fabulous man, and we have 5 kids, ranging from 13 to 4 yo
twins, known online as Spike and Giles. I've been quilting for about 7 or 8
years, mostly machine piecing and machine quilting. I love bright colors,
and I collect vintage textiles.

Old January 4th 05, 04:03 PM
Butterfly

Trish has been with us for awhile---just doesn't post as often as she use
to. Sumpin about life getting in the way : )
Hope she can stay longer this time
Butterfly
"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
Welcome Trish! Good to have you here. What are you working on now?
Roberta in D

" Pete 'n' Trish" wrote in message
Hello I'm trish in Syney. Thats Syney Australia. I am closer to Melinda

than
Sharon. I have only been quilting since '99. I an in my fourties (shhh) I
arrived in Australia from New Zealand in '99. I am a registered nurse
working in a jail. So quitling is stress relief for me. My QI's are two
tanks of tropical fish and some Superb Parakeets but Pete ( the other
half )is a printer so has a good eye for colours. I have started two

other
nurses and two lady prison officers quilting as well. I machine quilt and
have bought a Janome 10001. But have been back to university studying so

two
more assignments to go and whoo hoo stitching heaven.Hope all the newbies
stay as this is a great bunch of folk here .. trish in Sydney
www.communitywebsots.com/user/trishinsydney

Old January 4th 05, 04:06 PM
DrQuilter

Hi Joy...

Your kids look very happy in those pics! Your older daughter is getting
so cute! BTW, thanks for listing me as a favourite webshots member!

Joy wrote:
Hi Sharon,
Thanks for the welcome back! Just for you =) I uploaded pics into webshots.
My mom is fair skinned and people literally stepped backward when she
introduced me to them at her Christmas choir performance as I announced,
"Yeah, I'm brown!" Hee hee. I don't know if I'm beautiful, but I'm in the
webshot album along with the kids:

http://community.webshots.com/user/joyjane

Have fun perusing!
A Joy in Hawaii

"Sharon Harper" wrote in message

Welcome home Joy - does this mean you are around for always now? BTW are
there any photos of you around anywhere - with the description you gave of
your heritage and having seen those gorgeous Hawaiin ladies in person I
can
only imagine your beautifulness. No, seriously!

--
Sharon from Melbourne Australia
Queen of Down Under

**********************

"Joy" wrote in message
.. .

"frood" wrote in message
news snipped:

As newbies come and introduce themselves, we all say "hi" back to them.
But, while we learn a bit about them, they don't get to know us very
easily. -- ...
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply

Aloha! I'm Joy, posting as A Joy in Hawaii. I'm a 34 year old
Filipino/Native Hawaiian/Japanese/Cherokee/Welsh/Portuguese (wow, yeah?!)
woman that lives in Holualoa, HI (a part of Kona, HI) on a coffee farm

(no,

I don't have to pick it but you can find me sneaking a few coffee
cherries
to suck on for a quick pick me up, hee hee). I have three kidlets DD1 4
y.o.(almost 5), DD2 3 y.o. and DS1 20 months old. I'm working on getting

my

D(arn)H to agree to divorce so that I don't have to pay outrageous

attorney

fees. It's been a rough year for me all around with these ongoing
marital
problems and then my dad past away on November 18, just about a month and

half ago. I've gotten back to piecing but somehow I just can't get the
machine quilting thing going again. I do love to hand quilt, though. I
started quilting Hawaiian quilts and even had a job as a quilt

demonstrator

in Waikiki around 3 years ago which was really fun. I don't have any of

the

quilts I completed while active on RCTQ doing our monthly challenges with
the late Sue and I've lost the pictures of them that were on Webshots.
Oh
well, I'll get them back someday, I hope. RCTQers have been a great

support

to me and HUGged me and my kids 4 times over and blessed me with more
than

could imagine. At the moment, I am totally loving batiks and am planning

on

entering the Kona Coffee Quilt Contest in June using these batiks and
hand
dyed fabrics from Mardi. Most of my day is spent as a case manager for

the

severely and persistently mentally ill and evenings are with my 3
kidlets.
Very little time to do quilty things these days...besides read RCTQ posts

keep me sane =). So if you're new, welcome. If you've been around, I

guess

I'm back *grin*.
A Joy in Hawaii

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out before replying)
Old January 4th 05, 04:07 PM
Kellie J. Berger

Kellie here in NW Houston. been a member of RCTQ since the early days (mid
'90s) and have been hand sewing (doll clothes, cross stitch, embroidery)
most of my life, but still consider myself just above beginner... so much to
learn!!! Love all parts of quilting except the cutting (too often crooked)
and basting (just don't like it). Probably why i have so many tops that need
finishing!

I am married with 3 kids (g9,b7 and g almost4) and 2 dogs (old golden mix
and young black lab). I Have managed to collect 5 sewing machines! DH thinks
that is 3 to many.... but puts up with it bc 3 are disguising themselves as
furniture right now... lol

Started quilting in '93 or '94 with a "qillow" unless you consider the
trapunto wallhanging self portrait i did in college in '90 or the folded
star wallhanging quilting....

I do some webdesign and desktop publishing from home now, but have been an
art teacher, a director of a Mother's Morning Out, and worked many other odd
jobs from catering to sales clerk. Don't currently have my own website
too busy working on other ppls! Very involved in the kids' school, so
that takes up a lot of my quilting time.

Starting to make jewelry again, dabbled with it in college and high
school... Still love quilting more, but the jewelry gets finished faster
grin !

Learning to applique and free motion quilt.

Like DARK Chocolate, love stars, love most colors other than yellow greens.

did i leave anything out???

-- Kellie
kjbeanne at yahoo dot com
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/berger....net/my_photos

Old January 4th 05, 04:36 PM
Debra

I'm Debra in south central Virginia, USA, 42 years old, married to a
great guy, no kids unless you count the three very spoiled indoor
kitties. I've been doing needlepoint and cross stitch since I was a
teen and got interested in quilting about a year and a half ago when
my mom started quilting the tops made by my grandma and great grandma.
We had great fun looking through all the tops she has inherited and
she even gave me a couple. She finished quilting one twin sized Rose
Dream quilt that my grandma made for me when I was a child and
presented it to me. Since then she has finished several quilts,
including piecing one of her own. I have made a few quilt labels for
her and I have almost finished one wall hanging for my bathroom with
tropical fish as the theme, all that is left is the binding. I'm
still in the planning stages of a quilt my hubby wants. It's space
oriented and he picked out the first fabric--glow in the dark
constellation print on black. Re-modeling the kitchen and bathroom
have kept me from doing much quilting and needlework. Those rooms are
not quite finished, but almost, just the crown molding in the bath,
and a new counter top and some new doors to be mounted on the upper
cabinets in the kitchen to go but we are rarely off from work on the
same days so it's slow going. After those are done there are four
more rooms to get paint and some re-finished furniture but they will
be easier and faster to complete since there is a lot less that can go
wrong in them. I hope I never have to re-model a bathroom again in my
lifetime. I figure two years of trying to do my hobbies slowly while
re-doing the house, then I'll have a lot more time for quilting and
other needlework.

One last thing I almost forgot to mention. I love old Singer sewing
machines, and I have six or seven, some working and some needing a
little repair. My favorites are the green ones.

Debra in VA
Old January 4th 05, 04:36 PM
Denise Jameson in Ontario

Oh cool. Love introductions and reaquaintances! Thanks Wendy for the
great idea.

I'm Denise and I post as Denise in Ontario, Canada. I've been married
to Bob for almost 35 years, have two grown daughters, one married.
I've been quilting since 1996 and I'm working hard on improving my
machine quilting skills. I own too many machines, use my FW regularly
and quilt on a new Brother I purchased two years ago. I love jewel
tones and bright colours, and am constantly looking for more TIME!!!

You can see some of my quilts at:

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/controlPanel.fcgi

Denise in Ontario, Canada

Old January 4th 05, 04:42 PM
DebsPrintOnIt

I live near Boise, Idaho. Just celebrated 30 years of marriage to a mint and
sugar beet farmer that is rooted here by two prior generations. We have 2
daughters, 26 y.o. married English teacher , and 20 y.o. college student. I
used to do computer programming when computers took up a whole room. While I
was temp. laid off in 1990 I took a class on English paper-piecing and my
interest in quilting has grown exponentially since. I now have quilt checks,
license plate frame, a huge library, 5 machines, a full journal of my quilt
pics, ...
Debra in Idaho
Old January 4th 05, 05:03 PM
frood

Thanks, Taria! I'm really enjoying it, too!

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply
Put on your Big Girl panties and just deal with it. -- unknown

Old January 4th 05, 05:04 PM
Debra

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 15:06:13 GMT, georg wrote:

nbhilyard wrote:

I always think of Nancy Drew's friend George....
My question: what does a late-14th-century quilt look like, and where did
you find 600-year-old fabric? g

Well, ok, it's not 600-year-old fabric... but it is linen of roughly the
same weave, linen floss, and linen thread...

I'm hoping to post a pic this week. I finally got all of the embroidery
done.

It's based on the guiarducci (sp) tapestry, also known as the Tristram
and Isolde quilt, which is in the V&A in London, with a matching one in
the Bargello Museum in Florence. It shows scenes from the Tristram and
Isolde legend, which is tied up in the Arthur mythos.

I picked one of the scenes - two knights fighting- and re did the words
on it (which were Scilian) and the devices on the sheilds. It is to
commemerate a friend becoming a Duke, and will be his scroll (yes, Duke
in SCA).

-georg

I can hear the OOhs and AAhs at the court presentation already!
Debra in VA

HOUSTON IQF, was Houston Quilt Show Roll Call Kellie J. Berger Quilting 50 October 27th 04 01:40 AM
Houston Quilt Show Roll Call nana2b Quilting 41 October 20th 04 03:21 AM
OT -- CA ROLL CALL BeckiBead Beads 51 November 12th 03 01:49 AM
ROLL CALL: Fall One-to-One Plaid Fat Quarter Swap Melissa in NJ Quilting 25 November 4th 03 04:02 PM
Fort Washington Show roll call AliceW Quilting 8 September 19th 03 11:55 PM