Kali Geometric Pattern Generator: Redux

Old May 2nd 09, 05:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Default Kali Geometric Pattern Generator: Redux

In the thread I started a while ago about color palettes, the subject
of the title came up, and since I also have an interest in
tessellation designs, I looked up the original thread Jack started
back in January, looked up the rest of the designs he posted, and
downloaded the generator myself (which I haven't yet had time to play
with).

Anyway, I solved all of the Kali patterns Jack created that can be
produced on a square/rectangular quilt block (except one -
KaliBorderedOctagon - I can solve it, but due to the extremely small
size of some of the polygons, I think it would be impractical to piece
& assemble as a block as designed. It could however be pieced as a
one-block quilt.)

The hexagonal/triagonal designs present another problem. I can solve
them by hand; unfortunately EQ6 has no hexagonal block design
capability (yet - another hint to the programmers. It'd be extremely
kewl to be able to do hexagonal quilt blocks in either horizontal or
vertical orientation...) There is a trick I know to simulate
hexagonal blocks using offset rectangular blocks, but it's going to
take me a while of experimenting to see if I can use that trick on the
Kali hexagonal designs.

If anyone is interested in some elegant solutions to the Kali blocks,
drop me a line; I can convert them (and quilt-samples) to jpegs for
emailing. I have no interest in using them for any quilt designs of
my own; I just did it to learn from them, and I think I learned quite
a bit...

Doc Smith
Old May 2nd 09, 11:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mickie Swall[_2_]

I'm curious to know exactly what a "Kali hexagonal" is?
My EQ6 has the ability for hexagon quilt designs, either in
vertical or horizontal orientations.... And octagons too....
May I see some of your pictures?
Curious minds need to know g
Mickie

Old May 3rd 09, 01:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

As far as I can see you can do an EQ quilt with hexagonal pieces in it -
Grandmother's Flower Garden, but you cannot do an individual hexagonal
block. In fact you can only do individual blocks in rectangles. In EQ5
there is actually a lesson on GFG, colouring straight onto the whole
quilt and EQ6 is pretty much the same.

I have just started Quilted Diamonds (60 degree angle) and have the EQ
CD to print out/colour/change design of the blocks. However the diamonds
are all shown with triangular pieces to make them into rectangles so you
can't just pop the indivdual diamond blocks into a diamond divided quilt
- you have to have the side bits (which I am not using!) too.

I agree - it would be nice to be able to design correctly shaped
individual blocks to fit in the quilts provided. When it comes to the
final quilt design it will be a combination of design wall/colouring in
the whole quilt with main colour impression of each block and lots of
fingers and toes crossed!

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Old May 3rd 09, 04:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

On May 2, 6:11*pm, "Mickie Swall" wrote:
[...]

Doc Smith- Hide quoted text -

Hi Mickie,

By "Kali hexagonal", I meant any design created in Kali that is based
on a hexagon rather than a rectangle. Examples are any of Jack's
original design's that included "hex" in their titles/filenames plus a
few others.

EQ6 has the ability to design quilts with single-color/fabric
hexagonal patches (one-patch layouts), however there is no facility
for designing hexagonal (or octagonal) blocks. I've been trying to
"fake it" by specifying proportional "snaps" within a square block,
but the square root of 3 (proportional multiplier for the long leg of
a 30° - 60° right triangle) doesn't really go into anything (useable
as a block size) close enough to evenly to work. (If anyone has found
such a "fudge factor" that works. PLEASE let me know! :-)

Doc Smith
Old May 3rd 09, 05:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mickie Swall[_2_]

There should be a work-around in EQ, I will know better after I've
seen the pictures.
Mickie

Old May 4th 09, 12:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jack Campin - bogus address

Anyway, I solved all of the Kali patterns Jack created that can
be produced on a square/rectangular quilt block (except one -
KaliBorderedOctagon

I'm curious to know exactly what a "Kali hexagonal" is?

They are all images I got by tinkering around with the Kali symmetric
pattern generator program (on the Mac, but it's available for other
systems, I think). I posted about them a few months ago. Interesting
as ways to get regular designs with unsquare blocks. I didn't colour
them in, as they had lots of alternative possibilities, so I left them
as outline drawings:

http://www.campin.me.uk/Pix/Kali2Diamonds.gif
http://www.campin.me.uk/Pix/Kali2Squares.gif
http://www.campin.me.uk/Pix/Kali4Star.gif
http://www.campin.me.uk/Pix/KaliBandedDiamonds.gif
http://www.campin.me.uk/Pix/KaliBorderedOctagons.gif
http://www.campin.me.uk/Pix/KaliBorderedTriangles.gif
http://www.campin.me.uk/Pix/KaliHex.gif
http://www.campin.me.uk/Pix/KaliHexMeander.gif
http://www.campin.me.uk/Pix/KaliHexPinwheels.gif
http://www.campin.me.uk/Pix/KaliHexTriangles.gif
http://www.campin.me.uk/Pix/KaliOverlapDiamonds.gif
http://www.campin.me.uk/Pix/KaliOverlapSquares.gif
http://www.campin.me.uk/Pix/KaliParallelograms.gif
http://www.campin.me.uk/Pix/KaliSawtoothQuilting.gif

The bordered octagons one is obviously impossible as patchwork but
could make a useful quilting pattern. Ditto some of the others,
which look complicated but are really just a collection of zigzags
around straight lines right across the design.

We have a top pieced that uses the 2Squares design in a rather sneaky
way. I'll post a photo when we finish it. 2Squares looks like such
an obvious idea you'd think it would have been in use for a couple of
hundred years, but I've never seen a quilt that uses it.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******
Old May 4th 09, 01:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

http://www.campin.me.uk/Pix/Kali2Dia...thQuilting.gif

The bordered octagons one is obviously impossible as patchwork but
could make a useful quilting pattern. *Ditto some of the others,
which look complicated but are really just a collection of zigzags
around straight lines right across the design.

We have a top pieced that uses the 2Squares design in a rather sneaky
way. *I'll post a photo when we finish it. *2Squares looks like such
an obvious idea you'd think it would have been in use for a couple of
hundred years, but I've never seen a quilt that uses it.

==== j a c k *at *c a m p i n . m e . u k *=== *http://www.campin.me.uk ====
CD-ROMs and free stuff: *Scottish music, food intolerance, and Mac logic fonts
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******

Hi Jack et al,

I downloaded the Kali program for Windows, and while playing around
with it showed DW.
She got very excited about it, whipped out "Designing Tessellations"
by Jinny Beyer, and
showed me all the ways the program related to the book.

Since I *was* using EQ, I didn't/couldn't spend a lot of time on the
hexagonals... :-(
These are the sketches I did solve to their most elemental quilt
blocks:
http://www.campin.me.uk/Pix/Kali4Star.gif
http://www.campin.me.uk/Pix/Kali2Diamonds.gif
http://www.campin.me.uk/Pix/Kali2Squares.gif
http://www.campin.me.uk/Pix/KaliOverlapSquares.gif
http://www.campin.me.uk/Pix/KaliParallelograms.gif
and as some of the designs were very similar to the above,
their solutions would likewise be very similar, so I skipped those.

2Squares looks like such
an obvious idea you'd think it would have been in use for a couple of
hundred years, but I've never seen a quilt that uses it.

I agree. I'm not so sure I *haven't* seen it someplace, but since
I can't recall off the TOMH...

Anyhow... Thanks again Jack, for introducing me to the Kali pgm,
your sketches, etc.

Doc Smith

Old May 4th 09, 02:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Oh Boy!
Now I really feel like a series must be done.
I have worked out most of these; but love a few of the new ones too.
I won't even try Bordered Octagons! nor Sawtooth. Maybe some of the
others are not possible. I have some fabric I have been wanting to use,
but is so far unassigned. I will find some other pieces to go with them
and will slot them into my 2009 'to do' list.
Congratulations Jack; these are splendid pieces of construction.
Thanks so much for setting out the whole list. I have saved them now!
..
In message , Jack Campin
- bogus address writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old May 4th 09, 02:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

On May 4, 9:25*am, Patti wrote:
Oh Boy!
Now I really feel like a series must be done.
I have worked out most of these; but love a few of the new ones too.
I won't even try Bordered Octagons! nor Sawtooth. *Maybe some of the
others are not possible. *I have some fabric I have been wanting to use,
but is so far unassigned. *I will find some other pieces to go with them
and will slot them into my 2009 'to do' list.
Congratulations Jack; these are splendid pieces of construction.
Thanks so much for setting out the whole list. *I have saved them now!
.
In message , Jack Campin
- bogus address writes

[...]

pat on the hill- Hide quoted text -

Hi Patti,

Since they were drawn with Kali, which is based on the precepts of
tessellations from Jinny Beyer's book (and elsewhere), they HAVE to be
possible; *practical* as with BorderedOctagons is another
story... ;-) Sawtooth actually doesn't look all that difficult to
me; we'll just not get into any more hand vs. machine debates ;-)

Once again, for those interested, you can download the Kali program
(Windows or Mac) at:
http://www.geometrygames.org/
and more info. can be found at:
http://www.tessellations.org/kali-win1.htm

If you get something out of it, please be sure to thank the author by
way of sending him a few bucks; IMO he deserves it.

Doc Smith

geometric pattern generator for old Macs Jack Campin - bogus address Quilting 18 February 2nd 09 09:10 PM
Colour Generator jennellh Quilting 0 November 16th 08 02:23 PM
Finished Pat's Geometric Pattern - pix Bronnie Quilting 12 March 20th 08 08:24 AM
Oxy generator NONE Glass 0 August 23rd 06 01:20 AM
cool sweater pattern generator Mystified One Yarn 2 October 26th 05 04:16 AM