ice breaker games for guild retreat

Old February 17th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default ice breaker games for guild retreat

I know this was posted a little while ago, and I didn't take note of it
because I didn't need the information...now I do. What have been some fun
things your guild has done for ice-breaker games at retreats? Thanks, Nancy

Old February 17th 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Come up with a list of 20 or so things ( examples: a pilot, a grade
school teacher, a grandparent 5 times, rode in a hot air balloon, water
skied, been to Australia, a Capricorn, born in Alaska, etc). Make up
your own. Give the list to the group and give them a fixed amount of
time, say 15 min., to find someone in the room who fits each of the
items. Also, each person can only be associated with one item on the
list. Give a prize to the person to gets the most. You'll find some
amazing people in your group.

Shana

Old February 17th 06, 08:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Not from Guild meetings but these have been used as ice rbeakers in a
different cntext

1. If reincarnation really happens and you are going to come back an an
animal next time, What animal would you be and why

2. Your favourite Pizza -and why

3. your most embarressing moment in adult hood

4. What you ACTUALLY wanted to be when you grew up -and why you
aren't doing that now -if of course you aren't (this was a really
funny one!!)

Annie, England

Old February 17th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Have labels prepped with famous quilters names on it -- one for each of your guild members. (you
can duplicate quilters names if you need to) and put a label on everybody's BACK. They have to then
ask people questions that require YES or NO answers -- and find out who they are. Each person gets
3 guesses who they are -- (give them little chits with their name on it and they hand out when they
ask... "AM I ALEX ANDERSON" -- they give their chit to the person they are asking. When they are
out of chits - they still keep trying to find out -- for the "consolation prize". Anybody who finds
out who they are -- within their 3 chit guesses -- gets to put their name in the first prize pot --
and they can throw in any remaining chits -- which enhances their chance to win the pot. Our pot
was worth about $20. It included a few FQ's, a specialty ruler, some chocolates, a package of
Thangles... and the like. People can ask as many questions as they wish -- but no more than 2 in a
row to the same person -- so they have to move around and talk to a lot of people. Remember -- only
YES/NO answers can be asked.

Hope this makes sense -- if not -- email me privately (despam my addy).

Kate in MI

Old February 17th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I've always wondered why event organizers feel people need ice breaker
games at large gatherings. I, for one, absolutely ABHOR them. Every
time and at every event that an organizer announces these things, all
of the people within my earshot have muttered , oh crap, this is stupid,
what a waste of time, and a few more that are not suitable for printing.
Most join in just to be a good sports, but many people can't stand them.
I have never found myself thinking, later on , I must go back to speak
to that woman from Hawaii, whose favorite color is purple and has 14
dogs. Everyone just goes back to their own cliques. I feel the same
about bridal and baby shower games. Next time you go to one, watch the
eyes roll when the games are announced. You might be surprised how many
people take the opportunity to visit the loo.

I think this is one of those things that lots of people hate, but no one
wants to say it out loud.

Apologies to those who like to play games.

Denise

Old February 17th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Rather than games, get the group together, go around the room and have
everyone tell their name and something about themselves (briefly). You
can give them some examples of the types of info you want; for example,
how long have you been quilting, what is your favorite part of quilting,
what is the hardest part of quilting for you, what part of quilting do
you dislike, what is your favorite color, what got you interested in
quilting, etc. Or for quicker intros, just give everyone the same single
question.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old February 17th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article ,
Julia in MN wrote:

Rather than games, get the group together, go around the room and have
everyone tell their name and something about themselves (briefly). You
can give them some examples of the types of info you want; for example,
how long have you been quilting, what is your favorite part of quilting,
what is the hardest part of quilting for you, what part of quilting do
you dislike, what is your favorite color, what got you interested in
quilting, etc. Or for quicker intros, just give everyone the same single
question.

Julia in MN

We just went to a fundraiser and they did a little game. There was a
basket of quilt blocks all had the same background fabric but different
prints. Apparently there were four of each. You pinned on the block
and tried to find the other three who matched you. When you found
eachother you went to a table, signed your block and got your group
picture taken. The blocks were then assembled into a quilt.

Here's a picture of last years quilt.
http://www.crushcommunity.org/CrushHungerQuilt.htm

marcella
Old February 19th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thanks for all the great suggestions...I will forward them on to the
appropriate person who is in charge of the retreat!! Nancy

Old February 19th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting