Help with a wool/nylon sweater that was given to us

Old December 12th 05, 10:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Help with a wool/nylon sweater that was given to us

My MIL gave my DH a new wool sweater from Orvis last week. It is very
warm and he has been wearing it but is complaining that there is an
odor to it. It is made of 85% wool and 15% nylon and a little scratchy
to the feel. I aired it outside for two days but the odor is still
there. Is this a normal thing with wool? Is there anything I could
do. It is recommended to dry clean only, will that help? Thanks for
any help. I am not used to wool, using acrylics mostly. But I know
there are lots of you that use wool for your knitting.

Diane

Old December 12th 05, 10:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

wrote in message
oups.com...
My MIL gave my DH a new wool sweater from Orvis last week. It is very
warm and he has been wearing it but is complaining that there is an
odor to it. It is made of 85% wool and 15% nylon and a little scratchy
to the feel. I aired it outside for two days but the odor is still
there. Is this a normal thing with wool? Is there anything I could
do. It is recommended to dry clean only, will that help? Thanks for
any help. I am not used to wool, using acrylics mostly. But I know
there are lots of you that use wool for your knitting.

Diane

Is it the odor of spinning oil, sort of smells like kerosene? If so dry
cleaning will remove it.
DA

Old December 12th 05, 11:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Wool has a fragrance, but more likely he's smelling dyes in the wool,
spinning oil, packaging, etc.

Wash it in hot water with a good slug of detergent - but no agitation,
just fill the washer tub, poke in the sweater and let it soak, then
spin out the water, remove the sweater, refill with hot water, poke
the sweater in to rinse, spin out, stomp in a towel, air dry flat.

On 12 Dec 2005 13:44:49 -0800, spewed forth
:

My MIL gave my DH a new wool sweater from Orvis last week. It is very
warm and he has been wearing it but is complaining that there is an
odor to it. It is made of 85% wool and 15% nylon and a little scratchy
to the feel. I aired it outside for two days but the odor is still
there. Is this a normal thing with wool? Is there anything I could
do. It is recommended to dry clean only, will that help? Thanks for
any help. I am not used to wool, using acrylics mostly. But I know
there are lots of you that use wool for your knitting.

Diane

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old December 12th 05, 11:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"Wooly" skrev i melding
Wool has a fragrance, but more likely he's smelling dyes in the wool,
spinning oil, packaging, etc.

Wash it in hot water with a good slug of detergent - but no agitation,
just fill the washer tub, poke in the sweater and let it soak, then
spin out the water, remove the sweater, refill with hot water, poke
the sweater in to rinse, spin out, stomp in a towel, air dry flat.

On 12 Dec 2005 13:44:49 -0800, spewed forth
:

I agree, Wooly, but not TOO hot water
Since the persentage of wool is as high as 85!
I would stop at 40 *C.
Aud ;-)

Old December 13th 05, 12:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 23:57:44 +0100, "Aud"
spewed forth :

I agree, Wooly, but not TOO hot water
Since the persentage of wool is as high as 85!
I would stop at 40 *C.
Aud ;-)

Bah. Heat isn't what fulls sweaters, agitation is. Wool will full in
cold water if you make it angry enough. It'll even full with no water
at all, but that takes a LOT of work We have two water heaters.
The one that serves the kitchen and the utility room is set at 140f,
or about 60c. Water much under 120f won't cut the lanolin out of a
fresh fleece, and much under 130f won't cut the lanolin out of an old
dried fleece.

I have no trouble with accidental fulling or felting unless I forget
to turn off the washer. The first time it happened I caught it just
as it started dumping cold rinsewater onto a $30/lb fleece and I
managed to save most of the wool. The second time I poked in the wool
and left the house, only to return and find a nice wreath base in the
washer - not only did I forget to turn off the washer, I had the
washer set for a SECOND RINSE, and with heavy agitation to boot.

One can shock a sweate scouring it in hot water and then dumping it
into a cold rinse. The rinse should be at least as warm, if not
moreso, than the wash.

Jm2c

+++++++++++++

Old December 13th 05, 02:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article , Wooly
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 23:57:44 +0100, "Aud"
spewed forth :

I agree, Wooly, but not TOO hot water
Since the persentage of wool is as high as 85!
I would stop at 40 *C.
Aud ;-)

Bah. Heat isn't what fulls sweaters, agitation is. Wool will full in
cold water if you make it angry enough. It'll even full with no water
at all, but that takes a LOT of work snip snip

Let me tell you!... wool will felt with no water, heat, or
agitatoin.....I have a bag of very nice lincoln roving, good quality as
well. I needed some roving to try to spinning wheels we have cleaned and
fixed. They are Indian head bulky type spinning wheels. With very large
bobbins and flyers. Otto got them finally all working again and we found
that when you take the break off, the drag of the flyer is enough to
create take up. In order to try this wheel I needed something heavier.
Foun the Lincoln roving and man oh man is it matted and felted. No water,
no heat no agitation.....

I agree with Wooly (again...LOL) Heat alone, will not felt your wool.
Agitation is the activator, or sudden changes of temperature. Washing the
sweater is a good idea. When you use a bit of your favorite shampoo, that
may work as well. Treat your sweater gently, and it will be find. Roll
in a large towel to get all the water out and dry flat.

Els

Old December 13th 05, 06:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I would Recomend a Nice and soft HAIR Shampoo , NO Detergent ,, make a
luke warm bowl , soak in till water is cold ,,,, soak again in clean
water , than hand agitate softly in cold water , let lay in sink till
water stoped leaking out Roll up in towel lay on flat surface for a
day ,,,, if not dry by next day roll inside out ,,, than let dry in
cool non sunny well aired place .
mirjam

Old December 13th 05, 01:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Thanks for your replies. I didn't know that you could safely soak
wool. I learn so much from everyone here! I am going to give it a try
and see.

Diane

Old December 13th 05, 02:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Don't know if anyone has suggested this Diane, but maybe you could get some
of those tissues designed to go in the tumble dryer to make your clothes
smell nice and feel soft, if they do them where you come from of course, our
Asda do them, and I know US'ers have Walmart which is the same company...

Just fold into the garment, a couple of the tissues and leave in the warm
overnight, the smell may then over rule the other smell..

such a nuisance isn't it I had this with some cotton material I bought
once, it smelled like fish..lol

wrote in message
oups.com...
My MIL gave my DH a new wool sweater from Orvis last week. It is very
warm and he has been wearing it but is complaining that there is an
odor to it. It is made of 85% wool and 15% nylon and a little scratchy
to the feel. I aired it outside for two days but the odor is still
there. Is this a normal thing with wool? Is there anything I could
do. It is recommended to dry clean only, will that help? Thanks for
any help. I am not used to wool, using acrylics mostly. But I know
there are lots of you that use wool for your knitting.

Diane

Knit sweater -- Decreasing on the wrong side Julie Yarn 8 September 28th 05 03:45 AM
"Sweater pic" -- where can I find one? Carolyn Sewing 12 October 20th 04 12:49 AM
Aran sweater pix Slinky Yarn 36 February 3rd 04 08:28 AM
Using Guernsey technique on Norwegian sweater? H Schinske Yarn 0 October 15th 03 09:44 PM
Crochet Dog Sweater Pattern SlinkyToy Yarn 7 July 31st 03 03:33 AM