OT RCB community was Did Anyone get their watch crystals?

Old August 12th 03, 01:40 PM
Diana Curtis

Default OT RCB community was Did Anyone get their watch crystals?

Sounds tempting Sooz!
In my dream world there wouldnt be a need for stores within the community.
If you want fresh bread it would be likely someone had just pulled a loaf or
five from the oven, herbs?? grab a handful from the garden, same with the
flowers. Meat that is as pure as free ranging can make it is not terribly
hard to raise, and eggs.. ohhh my.. you havent really tasted an egg until
you've had a free range egg... yolks so yellow they are almost orange, and
so tasty they hardly need salt!
Want a funky shirt like Sooz showed today? Head over to Jalynne and see
what you can arrange. Need a quilt for that sleeping loft for extra special
guests.. come see me and maybe we would trade for a handfull of lampworked
beads.
For anything we arent able to produce for ourselves we would have bulk
group buying power.
I wouldnt want the community to be insulative, any community thrives with
the influx of new ideas and people. We could offer classes on any number of
topics. Musical gatherings. Costume partys. lol you name it.
Think about this for a long term life style. When one grows to a stage in
life where ones occupation becomes beyond their abilty the community would
be there to help them make the transition to another form of contribution.
No one would be sent out to pasture simply because they aged. No one would
be denied the right to be productive because of physical or emotional
limitations.
We talk about this as if its a pipe dream and there is the problems of
reality that would need to be dealt with to make it happen. I dont know how
to keep the exchange of goods and services *fair* . I dont know how we would
keep disagreements from becoming feuds... perhaps a tribunal of elders?
What would keep you, reader, from making this happen in your life?
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message
A bakery where you can buy your fresh baked bread daily, a
produce markey with everything you want, a butcher/meat shop where you

can
get your meat cut fresh the way you want it daily, fresh flower markets

so
we could have fresh flowers daily, Bead and crafts stores

At the risk of being killed by everyone here......Aside from the craft

store,
my neighborhood has all of this within a 3-block area (incl. 2 bead

stores). I
can walk to all of it. (Plus 12 very good restaurants) Cheese store, 3
bakeries, and a holistic drugstore.
~~
Sooz
-------
Let the beauty we love be what we do. --Rumi
I'm not a hamster, and life's not a wheel. --Sooz
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

Old August 13th 03, 09:30 PM
Christina Peterson

Actually I think we're talking about several different things.

Sooz was talking about an area within a city, where we can live our usual
lives but in our own "good neighborhood" where neighbors co-operate and have
interests in common, and living in structures that do what we need them to
do.

Diane's vision reminds me of the communes of the 60s, and would have to
include some farm land.

And Dierde's vision seems somewhere in the middle. And it includes less
physical change, but more social change than any of the others.

Both Sooz and Dierdre could start with a block in any town or city.

Tina

"Deirdre S." wrote in message
I am serious about this dream, too. And although I agree there would
be problems to solve, especially given how we have been socialized,
and how much our current world -doesn't- work according to these
principles, I think that solving those problems would be well-worth
the effort it took.

Deirdre

Old August 13th 03, 09:54 PM
Deirdre S.

Yes... mine is about a change of 'state of mind' and the physical
setting would only require some shared space for everyone, and some
private space for everyone.

I could envision taking over a big hotel, with big rooms, featuring a
kitchenette for each person's private quarters if you weren't feeling
like major socializing at mealtime, but a big communal kitchen and
dining room, too. Maybe a community banquet every weekend, and
pot-luck smorgasbord for the rest.

A few cozy, fireplaced public sitting rooms on every floor, like 'the
senior common room' from those British novels I enjoy, where folks
could hang out in small clusters, based on their activity of the
moment. And lots of workshop space for multiple activities, with all
the proper tools.

And many, many chances for apprenticeship in every art/craft under the
sun. Opportunities to try new things under experienced guidance and
encouragement, instead of in clueless, floundering isolation.

A long-term balance between contributing to and deriving from the
lives and activities of others, where being *able* to contribute is
one of the biggest things we all derive. The basic Golden Rule would
be: Do whatever suits you, just be sure it isn't at anyone else's
expense.

All other community practices could be derived from that principle,
and the details refined by negotiation.

Deirdre

Old August 14th 03, 10:43 PM
Deirdre S.

I think that quite a few people are discovering how much richer things
can be when you collaborate rather than isolate. It is nice to hear
stories about people making it work.

And without a lot of fuss, at that.

I think the zeitgeist is due for a shift, and the signs may already be
visible if you look in the right places.

Deirdre

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 19:15:54 -0400, Kathy N-V
wrote:

Your description is astoundingly like the mobile home community where my Dad
and Stepmother live in the wintertime. Even down to the pot-luck suppers.
Funnily though, most of the residents are retirees from the particular area
of Massachusetts where I'm from. ~800 older people from 4 towns on the South
Shore invading Naples, Florida every fall, and all heading to the same
general area in the spring. Like migrating birds, or something.

Dad and Anita live in a prefab home which is like a double wide mobile home
with a screened porch the length of the house. Some folks park their RVs and
live in them, Dad parks his boat in the side yard, and they live in the
house. The RV "lives" on Cape Cod, and they travel around the country,
playing golf and fly fishing. (Hey, it works for them)

If we wanted to, we could do something similar. The housing in those parks
is astoundingly cheap -- You can buy a new unit for about $35K, and a used
unit (sometimes they've never been occupied, but since someone bought them,
they're "used") for about $20K. It's not really possible to live there all
summer (too damn hot to live in a tin can), but for 9 months of the year,
it's simply gorgeous.

Kathy N-V

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 16:54:35 -0400, Deirdre S. wrote
(in message ):