OT Recipes

Old October 1st 05, 06:43 AM
NightMist

Default OT Recipes

I got asked for a couple of recipes in another group, and figured what
the heck! I might just as well post them here too while I am at it.
We are all talking about food here too.
I will post them all seperately under this heading just to make life
a little easier for some folk.

Of the three, I have mucked with the bread bread and the pie recipe
and made them my own.
So far as I know, the cookie recipe has been clogging arteries
throughout northern Europe for a very long time.

NightMist
--
"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge
it, requires brains." -Mary Pettibone Poole
Old October 1st 05, 06:54 AM
NightMist

Blitz Kuchen

The cookie:

1 cup of butter (no substitutions please)
1 cup of sugar
4 egg yolks
2 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups of flour

The topping:

2 egg whites
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
about 1/2 cup slivered (or shredded) almonds

Beat the yolks till thick and lemony.
Cream the sugar and the butter together, add the yolks.
Mix in the salt and flour.
Beat the egg whites til they are not stringy and mix them in.

Spread fairly thinly over a rimmed cookie sheet or large baking pan.

Mix the sugar and cinnamon.

Beat the egg whites til stiff, fold in 1/2 of the cinnamon sugar.

Spread the egg white mixture over the cookie batter.
Sprinkle the almonds over the egg whites, sift the rest of the
cinnamon sugar over the almonds.

Bake at 350F for 30 minutes.

Cool slightly, cut into bars and remove to cooling rack.

Old October 1st 05, 06:54 AM
NightMist

Pumpernickel

2 cups hot coffee
4 T blackstrap mollasses
1 Tablespoon caraway
2 tablespoons dry yeast
1/2 cup lukewarm water
2 Tablespoons potato starch
(or a medium small cold boiled potato and a full cup of lukewarm
water)
4 Tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups rye flour
1 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup gluten flour (or 2 cups dry toasted bread crumb if gluten
flour is unavailable)

Dissolve the molasses in the coffee, add caraway, if useing crumb add
it in as well.
Combine the potato and the water, leave no lumps, add the yeast to the
potato water.
When both solutions are room temperature and the yeast is spongey,
combine.

If useing gluten flour sift it together with the rye flour, sift this
mixture together with the wheat flour.

Add combined flours to yeast mixture, the result will usually tend to
be a bit dry and stiff. gather the dough and turn it onto a floured
board, cover and allow to rest for 15 minutes to half an hour.

Knead the dough. Do not knead for less than 15 minutes. If you have
a kid who needs to learn how to make bread, this is a good time to
teach them to knead it. Knead and knead and knead.

Put the dough in an oiled boil and turn the dough over.
Allow to rise until doubled.
Punch it down and knead it smooth.

Shape the dough. I prefer to simply divide the dough into two halves
and shape each half into a ball, place on a floured baking sheet, and
allow to rise till somewhat more than doubled.

Brush with cold coffee and bake at 400F for 45 minutes to an hour.

I most frequently use ground caraway in this application, some people
prefer the whole seed.
My grandma whose religion forbade coffee, used postum in place of it
with excellent results.

Old October 1st 05, 06:55 AM
NightMist

Raisin Pie

Juice of 1 orange
Juice of 1 lemon
2/3 cup orange marmalade
water
2 cups seeded or seedless raisins
3 tablespoons of cornstarch plus about a tablespoon or so cold water
1 tablespoon and 2 tablespoons butter
dash of salt
pastry for 9 inch double crust pie

Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a heavy skillet.
Add raisins and toss frequently.
When raisins have absorbed most of the butter and are slighltly
browned, remove to a bowl.

Combine fruit juices, add salt, then add marmalade and enough water to
maintain a consistancy of slightly thickened milk, bringing volume to
1 1/2 cups.
Place in saucepan and bring to a strong simmer.
Mix cornstarch with cold water and add to hot marmalade mixture, stir
or whisk until thickened.
Remove from heat and combine with raisins.

Line piepan with pastry dough, sprinkle with a little flour and put in
filling. Dot with remaining tablespoon of butter, cover with top
crust.
Bake at 425F for 30-40 minutes
Old October 2nd 05, 02:02 PM
Pat in Virginia

B:
Okay, I won't substitute fake stuff for butter. I generally only
have real butter on hand any how. BUT, I buy NON salted butter.
Does that matter?
Thanks for all three recipes!! PAT in VA/USA

Old October 3rd 05, 09:15 AM
NightMist

Unsalted is fine.
If you think it needs it after the first time you make them, just add
a second dash of salt. I have always fancied that that was the really
spiffy thing about unsalted stuff, the salt to taste factor.

Oh and you will make these again.
and again and again.

Our friends have dubbed them "The Swedish Crack" due to their highly
addictive nature. They are so fast and easy to make (guess they live
up to their name eh?), and so yummy that they are a hard addiction to
break!

NightMist