Being OT on RCTN

Old October 1st 05, 05:30 AM
Darla

(trying to edit this so that Cheryl doesn't get the blame, though I
had to quote from her response to MBC, since I have MBC filtered...)
On 9/30/05 2:19 PM, in article , "Mirjam
Bruck-Cohen" wrote:

What a pity you don`t have more respect for teachers ,,,,Darla , i
think it is an important and hard job ...
mirjam
On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:07:53 GMT, Darla
wrote:

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:48:29 -0400, "Sara L." no e-mail wrote:

How about the things we teachers are required by
law to teach?
Like, how to take a standardized test so that the district looks
better than it really is?

If you'd *really* been paying attention all these years, Mirjam, you'd
*know* that I've been through a teacher-ed program. My cynicism comes
from first-hand experience. My own professors admitted that the
majority of the people who go into the teaching profession come from
the bottom 10% of their high school graduating classes.
Old October 1st 05, 05:35 AM
Darla

Gosh, Lucille, don't forget the snow!! ;-
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:48:46 -0400, "Lucille"
wrote:

I really hate to sound like an old geezer but this time I must. Back in the
olden days when I was young, elementary school was from 8:30 in the morning
till 3:00 in the afternoon. We had 1/2 hour every week in what they
laughingly called a gym, which was a room with a couple of balls and circles
painted on the floor so we could make a neat circle when we danced or played
dodge ball.

Recess didn't exist during the day and if we wanted to play in the
schoolyard, it had to be after school.

Lunch was something we went home for, so what you ate depended on what your
mother gave you. In my case it was a sandwich left on the kitchen table by
my working full time mother. I guess now they would call me a latchkey kid
because I wore the housekey on a chain around my neck. I survived.

Homework was done every night at the kitchen table and took no less than 45
minutes, even in the lower grades.

We did have classes like library sciences and music appreciation and I think
they thought of those as fun things because they weren't academic subjects.

Except for the long bus rides some of the kids are made to take nowadays, I
don't really think school is harder. From what I can tell, it's easier and
here in Florida, the standards are definitely lower.

And lest anyone ask--no, I didn't walk ten miles in the snow, uphill each
way, but on a cold winter day the few blocks I did walk felt like that kind
of trip. No one seemed to think we deserved a ride and everyone walked.

Junior High School and High School meant public transportation, or feet to
get there and who had time to go to a locker between classes. Lunch was the
sandwich we brought from home or the horrid goop they served. Nutrition
wasn't anything the school was particularly concerned with, except for what
we were taught in hygiene class. We schlepped our books and things and
didn't know we had reason to complain.

Poor us--Lucille

Old October 2nd 05, 03:13 AM
Dr. Brat

Darla wrote:

My cynicism comes
from first-hand experience. My own professors admitted that the
majority of the people who go into the teaching profession come from
the bottom 10% of their high school graduating classes.

This is consistent with my experience teaching at a public university in
Ohio. The education majors at my current institution appear to be a bit
more prepared, but they are still not the cream of the crop. I think
that parents are more likely to encourage their children to go into
business than into education.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old October 3rd 05, 01:46 AM
Dr. Brat

clark krunt wrote:
"Dr. Brat" , wrote in

How did we ever grow up to be normal adults when we had nursery rhymes
like *that*?!?!?! LOL!

I think I will label that statement "poetic
licence" ?

Please get your attributes right. I did not write the above. Someone
else wrote it and I quoted it.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old October 3rd 05, 12:26 PM
Dr. Brat

clark krunt wrote:
"Dr. Brat" , wrote in
message

clark krunt wrote:

"Dr. Brat" , wrote in

How did we ever grow up to be normal adults when we had nursery rhymes
like *that*?!?!?! LOL!

I think I will label that statement "poetic
licence" ?

Please get your attributes right. I did not write the above. Someone
else wrote it and I quoted it.

exactly.
I can understand some would
not follow the threading for attribution, so
point taken ;-)
The origin is still coming.
.com

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/primer/part1/
" When you are following up someone's article,
please summarize the parts of the article to which
you are responding. This allows readers to
appreciate your comments rather than trying to
remember what the original article said. It is
also possible for your response to get to some
sites before the original article.

Summarization is best done by including
appropriate quotes from the original article. Do
not include the entire article since it will
irritate the people who have already seen it.
Even if you are responding to the entire article,
summarize only the major points you are
discussing."

Summarize to your heart's content, but when you edit, be sure to leave
in the proper attribution lines and take out those that are not longer
relevant. The fact remains that I did not write what you attribut to me.

Elizabeth