Hinges, Silver

Old February 8th 05, 06:56 AM
Kalera Stratton

There are no results for sellers of solid sterling silver hinges using
the exact string ["sterling silver hinges" supplier], which seems the
likeliest word combination. I also tried other likely strings with equal
success. My thoughts are that she will, indeed, have to have them
custom-made or make them herself.

quattrocchi wrote:
In article ,
Will wrote:

Anyone know where to find silver hinges suitable for small jewelry
boxes?[...]
I want to use them on this style of Jewel Box

all the google listings I have followed tend
to be garbage listings offering to "find" "silver hinges" that usually

There are ways to do an advanced search.
Search for sterling and exclude silver, thus:

sterling -silver

But you'll still have to sift through sites with a 'sterling street'
address. It's inevitable with research of any kind.

How will you want to attach the hinge parts to the box? Rivet I assume.
There are spectacle hinges but they're usually nickle or some other
non-silver alloy. There are rivet-on types but fewer of them, and often
angled for the spectacle pantascopic tilt. I heard recently of a
supplier of 18k spec hinges (solder-on type), but you won't want to pay
that much.

Why not make them yourself? They'd be better than silver versions of the
little brass box hinges. Buy sterling sil tubing from a precious metal
supplier and saw several pieces the exact same size, make a seating in the
wood where you want the hinge and lay them there, full width, like a piano
hinge. Now think of a way to attach the tubing to the wood - like with
soldered-on posts or tabs, you do the creative thinking - and attach
alternate ones to the lid. Any number of tube segments, doesn't have to be
even, or odd. Big long hinge pin and fix the ends like a rivet.

--
-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
Old February 8th 05, 04:26 PM
vj

vj found this in rec.crafts.jewelry, from Ted Frater
:

] Sometimes with such a design problem it is worth considering making
]the problem a feature. Especially if the hinge metal was on the outside
]of the box. It could look great.

**chuckle**
that's EXACTLY what we decided to do.

--
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
Old February 9th 05, 03:12 AM
Will

The link to the site that shows the box is in this post.

I can use an outside mount or an inside mount as shown. I used two
dollar inside-mount brass hinges. I believe that "Yuk!" is the
appropriate technical term. I could use leather as I saw this style of
box built in a Jewelry Box book - but that would make it American
southwest style. (I should have checked to see if the guy used Bison
(Buffalo) Hide or cheated and used cow hide. I'll bet he cheated.)

I want to do several similar boxes and would be happy to adapt the
design to match what I can get -- assuming I can actually find silver
hinges..

http://woodwork.pmccl.com/Business/p...weststyle.html

I really did not want to end up silver smithing as well. Suppose I could
solder the hinges since I have the right equipment from when I did a lot
of electronics assembly and repair. :-) Again, I hoped to avoid that. :-)

To other folks - I know they will tarnish. Part of the charm. The owner
will just have to polish them once a week when they fondle their jewels. :-)

Gold would be out of place in a box of this style. The Mexicans valued
silver above all other metals - and probably turquoise above all other
gems - with Amber and Silver considered a "good luck" combination
according to jeweler friends and suppliers in Northern Mexico.

The box on the link is an essay -- if you will. Now I would like to
refine the style and see if I can sell a few - all original carved
fretwork elements and somewhat different dimensions.

So I'm still looking and will try plating with a battery, a nail and
some used fixer obtained by my better(?) half.

As for all the searching suggestions -- I really do appreciate the
suggestions -- However... I really am a computer geek and do know
searching techniques - being a database designer (and somewhat of a DB
programmer) by trade and training. That isn't much help when the search
engines store 90% plus garbage. GIGO I guess. I noticed that a lot of
people tried the same things I did and on further attempts ended up at
the same place I did -- empty handed of _real_ silver hinges.

Ted Frater wrote:
Ted Frater wrote:

Will wrote:

Well there may be, however, all the google listings I have followed tend
to be garbage listings offering to "find" "silver hinges" that usually
turn out to be "silver colored hinges". In other words nickel or
stainless steel. Not one listing ever led to a supplier of silver
hinges. That's why I posted the question here. I wanted to find a
supplier that was actually known to somebody - rather than a "finder"
web page that is desperately trying to make a commission off a "click
through" customer.

There are literally thousands of Web pages that repackage your search
and point you at other commercial web sites in an attempt to make a
commission. They tend to be horrible wastes of time. Something everyone
should be aware of -- by now.

Google is now being scammed by thousands of carpetbagger sites offering
useless "commercial" information. Beware!.

will e wrote:

Do a Google search on "silver hinges". Lots of sources. Will E.

"Will" wrote in message
m...

Anyone know where to find silver hinges suitable for small jewelry boxes?

Would prefer to buy "off the shelf" from someone who supplies them on a
regular basis and has made lots of them. (A silversmith told me they are
a PITA to make and take practice -- for whatever it's worth..)

I want to use them on this style of Jewel Box

http://woodwork.pmccl.com/Business/p...weststyle.html

Thanks to all who look.

--
Will

Yea, I know how you feel, Those of us who started working with silver
before the internet was ever invented usually when we couldnt find the
fitting we needed just went ahead and made our own.
Now I suggest you start looking for the type of hinge you think will be
suitable for your box , track down the US maker and offer to
supply him with the silver sheet to put through his blanking and
stamping tooling.
I exclude the cast and extruded hinges. what your looking for I think
is what is called a piano hinge, made from 2 pieces of folded strip
which interlock over a piece of wire.
Ive seen these right down to minute sizes on cigar boxes from cuba.
Is this what you had in mind?
theres many different ways to hinge a box. It depends on all sorts of
things which only you can decide.
When the wood is less than 1/4in thick youll have serious problems
fitting this type of hinge.
you can have a strap hinge on the inside or the outside. then it
becomes a feature and may condflict with your overall concept.

,

This post is beginning to get interesting.
Can you tell us where you would like to have the hinges on your box?
inside ? outside? and if the lid sits on top of the box base, with or
without a register that fits inside the box. all these parameters will
affect how you hinge your product.
now the simplest way to make a hinge has to be using short strips of
silver bentover the hinge wire. Each alternate one goes onto the lid and
the other alternate one onto the box. you wouldnt need to do any
soldering . just cut them all the same size and fit to the wood which
ever way you think is appropriate.
If the wood was thick enough, you could cut a rebate? or slot and drop
the hinge tab into this and 2 part epoxy it into place.
you would then have it hidden.
wouldnt this defeat the object of having it in silver?.

Sometimes with such a design problem it is worth considering making
the problem a feature. Especially if the hinge metal was on the outside
of the box. It could look great.
hope you follow my thinking on this.
What do you think ?
I was with my laser profiler last week and saw he had cut some 20/000
ali sheet. to a comlplicated shape.
Ill check with him later today and see if he has tried silver.
He could digitise what ever design you needed in your sheet and they
only cost cents per item to cut this way. I use it on all projects
involving my other metal consulting work where I need difficult shapes
in say 50 off.
.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Old February 9th 05, 03:27 AM
Peter W.. Rowe,

On , in õ Will wrote:

I really did not want to end up silver smithing as well. Suppose I could
solder the hinges since I have the right equipment from when I did a lot
of electronics assembly and repair. :-) Again, I hoped to avoid that. :-)

Perhaps a wise choice, given the above. Just in case you're moved to try, you DON'T
actually have the right equipment. Silver soldering as needed in this type of work
involves torches, not soldering irons, as well as solders that melt at much higher temps
than normally used in any sort of electronics assembly and repair. it's not that hard
to do, but is quite different from soldering with an iron. Although silver can be
joined with silver bearing tin based solders that work like electronics solders, they
don't match in color, and have little strength. Doesn't end up looking very good. Such
stuff can be used for repair when no other means is possible, but even that, in this day
and age where increasing numbers of repair shops have laser welders, is no longer very
many cases.

My thoughts on the subject, if you cannot find the silver hinges you want, is to recall
that in southwest art, architecture, and larger household items like chests, it would be
very common and characteristic to find hinges and hardware made of black wrough iron.
It seems to me that could you find some sort of hinge that also looks like hand hammered
black iron, but in the size of your box (which I envision as a pair of strap hinges, not
piano types) this would at least seem to me to be quite in keeping with the southwest
design source.

The second thought that occurs to me comes more from my own fascination with nicely made
wooden boxes as seen in higher end arts and crafts shows, a couple galleries I know, and
the workshop of a friend of mine who's a rather fine woodworker. Seems as though I most
admire the ones where the hinges are made integral to the box, from the wood itself,
rather than being an add on metal finding. There are a number of ways to do it,
including variations made pretty simply with a dovetail jig making straight fingers, not
tapered dovetailed ones. A really nice, snug fitting tightly made hinge on a beautiful
wood box, just like well thought out and sometimes decorative joinery, is often one of
those details that proclaims the wood working skill of the maker. I see no reason why
this should be inconsistant with a southwest style box. How 'bout making the hinge in
wood, carved to resemble a couple more of those snakes intertwined, or something like
that?

The other thought that occurs to me is that there is a rather healthy and large silver
working industry in Taxco Mexico. Some of the firms there might be reachable on the
internet, and I'm quite sure that such firms would be happy to design and make, or make
to your design, sterling silver hinges. Given the economies of those regions, prices
charged even for small production runs likely would be reasonable, and you'd be able,
certainly, to claim authenticity for a southwestern design box, since the hinges would
be made by people from that heritage, both ethnically and aesthetically.

Cheers

Peter
Old February 9th 05, 06:36 AM
vj

vj found this in rec.crafts.jewelry, from Will
:

]I really did not want to end up silver smithing as well.

we plan to start making our own hinges this next weekend.
but they won't be cheap, either.

e-mail me in private, if you want to discuss it.

Old February 10th 05, 02:24 AM
Will

Peter:

Thoughtful post and some interesting ideas...

I have relatives working in Mexico. But buying stuff there can be pretty
un-organized -- unfortunately. This will take some work to organize
their local suppliers. :-))

The right equipment is in my shop - light and heavy duty. Am used to
industrial -- not hobbyist -- techniques used in manufacturing and
commercial repair. (My background is in high end computer design -
logic, electro-mechanical and electronics -- so I am used to
sophisticated techniques -- but the budget isn't always adequate. The
spirit is willing but the wallet is weak.) Did not explain that.
However... your cautions are noted and accepted -- i.e. you're right --
there are better ways. :-)

Thought of wrought iron - for the reasons you suggested -- but it does
seem to be out of character for the region - except in modern roadside
stand folk art from Mexico. You get that sort of Stuff in Copala and
Concordia -- on the Mazatlan-Durango Hwy. Lot's of "folk-art" wood
makers there. I bought some furniture there - it's ok - but no great
stuff. Hinges are iron -- looks like SW American more than Mexican.

Actually designed some wooden hinges and lost patience with the idea of
making them. Too many other projects, and believe them to be out of
character for the style.

Lots of stuff in Durango as well. Really the "mecca of Silver" for Mexico.

Likely will re-design the next box layout and apply leaf hinges --
silver-plated to the back. ...Then find a reliable supplier in Mexico
and design to what I can buy. We regularly import/export high tech stuff
to there - just never done this stuff - it's a different game.

Old February 11th 05, 06:54 AM
Will

Thank you for the links! I could spend hours just looking at the rest of
the sites you found. Nice stuff. Not what I want right now -- but worth
bookmarking for the day I need it. The round gold hinges never occurred
to me and I was thinking of doing something along that line. :-)
Maybe you should post that link in the wood turners forum.

The Ganoskin Site I found before I posted - just so you know that I
really did work for an answer first. :-)

E-Bay is useless - not intentionally - just lots of "silver-colored" stuff.

I talked to one other Jewel Box maker who would be a candidate for
silver leaf hinges - so there is probably a market there. A few have
also mentioned it would be a "good thing" -- and I am not looking for
other people who want the stuff.

Maybe it's time for silver-smithing class. :-)

I am going to look at what jewel boxes I intend to make over the next
while and see if I can justify getting back to Vikie Jean with a request
-- probably not - but one never knows - do one? Probably have to settle
for dipping some brass in used fixer for now. Sigh!

will e wrote:
I give up! These are from a googol of Google searches, hope they help. Will
E.

http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/dire...y/subject/18/1

Old February 11th 05, 04:13 PM
vj

vj found this in rec.crafts.jewelry, from Will
:

]I am going to look at what jewel boxes I intend to make over the next
]while and see if I can justify getting back to Vikie Jean with a request
]-- probably not - but one never knows - do one? Probably have to settle
]for dipping some brass in used fixer for now. Sigh!

well, we're in the process of developing just the right leaves for
making molds for doing them with lost wax. for my own stuff.
that's why i said they wouldn't be cheap. i quit giving my 'time'
away. but we're going to be making them for our own use, too, so
what's a few more, if we get the process down the way we want it,
right?

--
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
(Jewelry) http://www.vickijean.com
(Metalsmithing) http://www.snugglewench.com
[it's a Callahan's thing]
yahooID: vjean95967
"How many ADD kids does it take to change a lightbulb?......
.....Let's go ride bikes!"

pure silver jewellery boomkap Jewelry 0 January 9th 05 01:49 AM
Experimenting with GOLD and SILVER Dennis Bicknell Jewelry 0 August 24th 04 04:44 AM
Sterling silver question (.925) porkchops Jewelry 7 January 24th 04 06:58 PM
High Mercury Content in Silver Bracelet KJ Jewelry 8 December 23rd 03 04:57 AM
Bali Silver -- What's the Deal? saucy Beads 16 August 21st 03 03:21 PM