Beaded Jewelry

Old September 1st 04, 08:52 AM
sdenison

Sorry been out of the network lately.

I have made a few pieces for people I know and they have recommended I make
them to sell. Currently, I am using a screw separator/small item separator
from the local hardware store to keep the beads. I really like the idea of
using tackle boxes for storage. Easy to access and reasonable in overall
cost.

Thank you.

Do you know a good way to secure the string to the finding so they do not
give out after wearing a time or two?

Kim

"Kaytee" wrote in message
news
In article , "sdenison"
writes:

Due to some of the special stone beads
and "decorator" beads, I am trying to expand my knowledge of jewelry

making.
Especially since most of these specialty beads would not look right in a
standard beaded display.

Are you buying beads to "make stuff" or to "collect"?

If the former, all you need are containers that keep the contents safe,

and
shelving or cabinets to store the containers. Large, odd sized beads can

go in
various tackle boxes with adjustable dividers; really big "stuff" can go

in
"Tupperware" type containers of appropriate sizes. I have a lot of my

stone and
lampwork focal beads in the generic "crafts" divided containers (the ones

for
embroidery floss)-- the spaces are larger and deeper than fishing tackle

boxes,
and I can "pad" the space with bubble wrap for lampwork. The multi-drawer

"nuts
& bolts" cabinets also work well. For seed beads and small FP, I'm slowly
converting from film cannisters to "flip top" boxes; the film cannisters

have
the advantage of being free, however, and are just the right height to fit

in
my Sterlock drawer units.

If your beads are "collectables", you can use "shadow box" type units

intended
for miniatures. Jamie Allen made a very nice one to display a selection of
his-- I think he has(had) a picture on his Bead Collectors Yahoo group.

You
might also check on eBay for "bead display"-- there are a few people who

make
stands to hold lampwork beads, and these can be put wherever you display
"knick-knacks".
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com

Old September 1st 04, 08:52 AM
sdenison

Unfortunately, our space for crafts is inside of a large loft. Stairs and
kids are sometimes a problem. Since I must keep an eye on my girls, I often
carry my beading (whatever I am working on) downstairs to finish. Which
leads to curiosity about what I am doing and how pretty the beads are. Or
the cat wants to play with the string while I am working on something, often
leading to some beads hitting the floor and getting lost.

Suggestions?

Also, to Kaytee, we are using wood boards, rough cut to display. Some with
bark others without, and they seem to bring out the color of each bead. Any
ideas on other display methods, not flat and overlooked?

Thank you.

Kim

"Marilee J. Layman" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 14:47:58 GMT, "sdenison" wrote:

We have not gotten as large in our collection as you, but we now have

more
beads than storage. But most of it is mixed-up in Ziploc bags thanks in
part to our children and crazy cat. Due to some of the special stone

beads
and "decorator" beads, I am trying to expand my knowledge of jewelry

making.
Especially since most of these specialty beads would not look right in a
standard beaded display.

My cats are not allowed in the workroom, and I have no kids, so my
space is pretty organized. I'm not sure what you mean about
speciality beads not going with standard beaded display, though -- I
think I've probably seen non-seed beads of all types used in beaded
work.

"Marilee J. Layman" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:32:05 GMT, "C. Gates"
wrote:

The world of beads requires few tools and minimal work and storage
space.

Ha! I have more seed beads than all the local bead stores put
together do! An entire bedroom is given over to beads and
accessories.

(And I'm currently working on a 15000 bead piece for charity.)

--
Marilee J. Layman

G.W. Bush says "results count!"
That's why I'm voting for Kerry.

Old September 1st 04, 04:14 PM
C. Gates

sdenison wrote:
Since I must keep an eye on my girls, I often
carry my beading (whatever I am working on) downstairs to finish. Which
leads to curiosity about what I am doing and how pretty the beads are. Or
the cat wants to play with the string while I am working on something, often
leading to some beads hitting the floor and getting lost.

Suggestions?

:-)

Well, yes. The cat obviously was born to string beads and you don't seem
to appreciate this extremely rare talent and genius. Since you have
chosen to accept responsibility for the welfare of this animal, then you
must encourage the creature's creative instincts by providing the cat
with its own box of beads and supplies. In that box of supplies must be
a large container filled with fresh catnip, which the feline can use to
enhance its creativity and playfulness. As for the children, you are
most fortunate to have such willing volunteers who will retrieve all the
lost beads on the floor for a suitable reward, unless they are so young
that the beads will pose a choking hazard. Otherwise you must get down
on your hands and knees yourself and look and pray -- or haul out the
vacuum cleaner. Bottom line: have fun and fully utilize all your
staffing resources.

:-)

Old September 2nd 04, 01:40 AM
Charlie

Try rec.crafts.beads, they seem to do way more bead stringing than this
group!

Charlie.

"sdenison" wrote in message
Sorry been out of the network lately.

I have made a few pieces for people I know and they have recommended I

make
them to sell. Currently, I am using a screw separator/small item

separator
from the local hardware store to keep the beads. I really like the idea

of
using tackle boxes for storage. Easy to access and reasonable in overall
cost.

Thank you.

Do you know a good way to secure the string to the finding so they do not
give out after wearing a time or two?

Kim

"Kaytee" wrote in message
news

Old September 2nd 04, 01:40 AM
Marilee J. Layman

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 07:52:25 GMT, "sdenison" wrote:

Sorry been out of the network lately.

I have made a few pieces for people I know and they have recommended I make
them to sell. Currently, I am using a screw separator/small item separator
from the local hardware store to keep the beads. I really like the idea of
using tackle boxes for storage. Easy to access and reasonable in overall
cost.

Thank you.

Do you know a good way to secure the string to the finding so they do not
give out after wearing a time or two?

What are you using for "string"? When you're stringing beads on, not
weaving, I recommend Softflex, and then you need to use crimps (and a
crimp plier) to connect the findings.

"Kaytee" wrote in message
news

Old September 3rd 04, 04:11 PM
Raane

After reading these suggestions, it occurred to be that if you put a
piece of pantyhose or gauze over the end of the vacuum hose - with a
rubber band - you may be able to vacuum up runaway beads and findings
without vacuuming UP runaway beads and findings. I haven't actually
tried it, but it seems reasonable.

"C. Gates" wrote in message
. ..

Old September 4th 04, 04:31 AM
C. Gates

Raane wrote:
After reading these suggestions, it occurred to be that if you put a
piece of pantyhose or gauze over the end of the vacuum hose - with a
rubber band - you may be able to vacuum up runaway beads and findings
without vacuuming UP runaway beads and findings. I haven't actually
tried it, but it seems reasonable.

Never dreamed that a little humor would lead to such a good suggestion.

No longer do I have to install a new bag in the vacuum cleaner every
time a stone goes bounce and then into hiding. Sometimes the obvious is
soooo obvious.

Thanks for the tip! This might be the most valuable thing I've read here
in a long time!

Old September 17th 04, 04:23 PM
C. Gates

Douglas Bond wrote:

I have been in the jewellery industry for twenty plus years, have lost
stones, and found again, most of the time.
But never heard of such a good idea, to take it further you would need
a container for the article to fall into, a bit like what people use
to suck up insects but it falls into a jar.
I do hope this makes sence?
www.bondsthejewellers.co.uk

That would be an excellent way to go, and I'll bet it would be a good
item for a jewelry supply place to offer. The beauty of the fine mesh
fabric is that it's cheap and easy. All you have to do is shut the
vacuum off and shake out the lost stone. My shop and store is in an old
barn with deep cracks between the floorboards, so if anybody does any
rebuilding some hundred years from now, they are going to find some
interesting treasures.

Of course, getting the piece of fabric might raise some interesting
situations for some jewelers if they ask something like:

"Honey, do you have an old pair of pantyhose that I can use?"

"Yes... and what do you want them for, dear?"

"Well, I just dropped a 3 mm sapphire on the blue carpet under my
workbench, and I read on RCJ that if I .....

You're right, Douglas. A container could make recovery easier -- and
maybe save a lot of explanations.

Manufacturer of Beaded Imitation Jewelry, ready to provide products at your home. For SLP Beads 5 November 2nd 04 03:39 PM
Book Review: Beaded Jewelry with Found Objects Harry Beads 4 April 13th 04 05:04 AM
AD: Ongoing classes Jewelry and Metalsmithing - Craft Students League NYC Craft Students League Jewelry 0 February 27th 04 04:25 AM
Beaded Jewelry Up On eBay Elaine Beads 0 February 10th 04 04:42 AM
Beaded flower jewelry dmu Beads 0 December 9th 03 01:43 AM