Rock Polisher

Old March 28th 04, 10:37 PM
Peter W. Rowe

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 13:17:58 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry "Don T"
wrote:

HeH! A lot of folks get mad even if you only say "Google is your friend".
Some folks act like they are extremely put out with you because you don't
immediately fulfill their demand for information. Even if that information
is so easily found with a basic search that it is trivial, but especially if
the information has taken good long years for the demandee to learn himself.
That is why I do so like the bit of wisdom I stole from one of Peter's
messages to this very group and use as a sig. line.

Chuckle.

I'm flattered, Don.

Maybe I should have added questions where the answer is obviously more easily
found in google than with a newsgroup post.

However, in the spirit of that quote, here's some specific info that Keith
wanted, that so far, hasn't been as extensively replied to as was Abrasha's
google suggestion.

********

A cabochon is a stone (or other material) cut in a manner charachterized by
smooth, usually curved surfaces, as opposed to the flat multiple facets found
on stones like cut diamonds, etc, which are called facetted stones. There are
many variations on cabochon (or just "cab") cuts, including flat backs,
slightly curved backs, those where the top curve just continues right down to
the bottom flat or curved surface, or those where there is a seperate bevelled
edge, or even those where the whole top is flat, but otherwise still the same
general type of cut. Cabs can be (and are) cut in transparent stones such as
are usually facetted, but normally, most are opaque or transluscent, or are so
highly included/flawed that if cut as facetted stones, would not be especially
attractive. They can be cut in almost any outline or shape, either random, or
to calibrated industry standard shapes.

Now, if you go back to google, and look for cabochons, you'll find many dealers
selling them, as well as a couple dictionary type web pages defining them (much
more briefly than i did above), and even at least one site that has a fine
photo essay detailing the cutting of cabochons on a hobbyist level.

Tumbled stones are just that. Rough or preshaped stones polished by simply
tumbling them in successively finer grits of abrasive and finally a polishing
media. If the initial shapes are ground to a cabochon shape, then one can get
cabochons from a tumbler, though edges will be rather more rounded off than
they are when cabs are cut on standard cutting equipment. Commercially, many
cabs in the less costly materials are preground to shape on automated grinders,
and then the final finishing and polishing is done in tumblers.

At the hobbyist level, though, most tumbling is done with random rough chunks
or rock, often things like agates and the like, which may be found as is, or
purchased, usually as coarsely crushed material intended for tumbling.

The machines used for cutting cabochons are bascially just grinders, but
modified from the usual household or machine shop types so as to run with water
lubrication and cooling of the wheels. and the grinding wheels used are
generally different as well. Commonly, silicon carbide or even more these
days, bonded diamond wheels are used for grinding, and then various types of
sanding wheels used to refine the finish, ending with one or more types of
polishing wheels. There are myriad variations on these themes, and a look at
lapidary suppliers will show some of the many types of equipment.

For beginners just wishing to tumble polish some stones to start with (which
costs generally a LOT less than the equipment for cutting cabs), there are any
number of small tumblers made in various sizes and degrees of durability.
Lortone is one popular brand, and generally decent quality. Thumblers tumblers
is another one. There are more. The very inexpensive types sold in preboxed
kits with abrasives, and often some rock included, and labeled for childrens
gifts and the like do work, but tend to be undersized, underpowered, and won't
last all that long. For those wishing to do a bit more, and willing to spend
a bit more, vibratory tumblers are much faster than the small rotary barrel
type.

And, as with cabochons and info about them, nows again time to use Abrasha's
suggestion, and go to Google. typing rock polisher, or rock tumbler, or terms
like that will turn up many many sources of supply. I've no particular
favorites. For the cheapies, as well as more common types, ebay may be as good
as any other place to start looking.

Peter Rowe
Old March 29th 04, 12:34 AM
Marilee J. Layman

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 17:09:22 GMT, Peter W. Rowe
pwrowe@ixDOTnetcomDOTcom wrote:

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 08:32:12 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry "Keith"
wrote:

Just the kind of answer you'd expect from someone named Abrasha.

Get a life...Keith

"Abrasha" wrote in message
Keith wrote:

Tumbled stones.

I'm not privy to what Cabochons are.

Keith

Hmmm,

Do you Google, ... or are you not privy to that either?

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

chuckle.

See? This is the type of thing, though this is a very tame example, that makes
my job difficult sometimes.

Look at Abrasha's original reply. Though it's a bit aggressive, and hardly a
gentle polite gesture of assistance giving the poster just what he/she wants,
it does actually provide a useful suggestion. (try google).

I think it's entirely reasonable that people exert themselves a bit
before asking questions. Google, an online dictionary, reference
works, etc. are available to everybody. I'm much more likely to help
someone who has already done some work than to help someone who
demands I give them all the answers.

--
Marilee J. Layman
Old March 29th 04, 03:17 AM
-SP-

"Peter W. Rowe" pwrowe@ixDOTnetcomDOTcom wrote in message

snip

No, Peter. No, no, no, no, no. If a question is asked on this group,
then it must be answered properly and in a fair way. Many people don't
know what a 'Cabochon' is, but are really very unlikely to type it
into a Google form - unless of course, they don't want to ask here
first... That's what this group is about, yes?

If Abrasha actually described a cabochon to the original poster,
then you wouldn't have had to type out what you did. Heh, he keeps you
busy, eh?

Heck, if everyone Googled, then this group wouldn't be here...

OR, they would come here FROM Google anyway... (5/10 hits on the
'groups' first page for the search term "cabochon" are from
rec.crafts.jewelry - and none that I see explain what a cabochon
is...)

Regards,

-SP-

cheers, all.

Peter Rowe
moderator
rec.crafts.jewelry

Old March 29th 04, 06:58 AM
Abrasha

-SP- wrote:

"Abrasha" wrote in message

Hmmm. Google isn't the answer to *everything*, you know.

Actually with the ability to search 4,285,199,774 web pages (as of today, and
growing every day by several thousand), Google may not BE the answer to
everything, but it most definitely will LEAD to the answer to pretty much
everything!

I guess you don't know that, eh?

I guess you are rather clueless as to the abilities of Google and/or other
search engines.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old March 29th 04, 08:54 AM
Abrasha

-SP- wrote:

"Peter W. Rowe" pwrowe@ixDOTnetcomDOTcom wrote in message

snip

No, Peter. No, no, no, no, no. If a question is asked on this group,
then it must be answered properly and in a fair way.

It was answered properly! I sent him to Google.

Many people don't
know what a 'Cabochon' is, but are really very unlikely to type it
into a Google form -

There is no such thing as a Google form, just a search term. that's all you
need. One word, that's all.

unless of course, they don't want to ask here
first... That's what this group is about, yes?

No!

If Abrasha actually described a cabochon to the original poster,
then you wouldn't have had to type out what you did. Heh, he keeps you
busy, eh?

Heck, if everyone Googled, then this group wouldn't be here...

Nonsense!

OR, they would come here FROM Google anyway... (5/10 hits on the
'groups' first page for the search term "cabochon" are from
rec.crafts.jewelry - and none that I see explain what a cabochon
is...)

You don't seem to know how to google either!

I got 16 pages with definitions alone! And 800 web sites that mention
cabochons
in one way/form or another!

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old March 31st 04, 07:46 AM
-SP-

"Abrasha" wrote in message
-SP- wrote:

"Peter W. Rowe" pwrowe@ixDOTnetcomDOTcom wrote in message

snip

No, Peter. No, no, no, no, no. If a question is asked on this

group,
then it must be answered properly and in a fair way.

It was answered properly! I sent him to Google.

Now you're JTTP - Shame on you Mr.A!

Many people don't
know what a 'Cabochon' is, but are really very unlikely to type it
into a Google form -

There is no such thing as a Google form...

I beg to differ, but it seems that you don't know what you're on
about. That 'box' that you type the search term in, is an html 'form'.
Simple as that.

unless of course, they don't want to ask here
first... That's what this group is about, yes?

No!

Please elucidate.

If Abrasha actually described a cabochon to the original

poster,
then you wouldn't have had to type out what you did. Heh, he keeps

you
busy, eh?

Heck, if everyone Googled, then this group wouldn't be here...

Nonsense!

OR, they would come here FROM Google anyway... (5/10 hits on

the
'groups' first page for the search term "cabochon" are from
rec.crafts.jewelry - and none that I see explain what a cabochon
is...)

You don't seem to know how to google either!

I got 16 pages with definitions alone! And 800 web sites that

mention
cabochons
in one way/form or another!

I'm very happy for you. You deserve an -SP- 18ct gold very shiny
medal, but did you see that I used the Google link 'Groups' for a
better description of 'cabochon', and it lead me nowhere? That's a
real shame...

-SP-

Abrasha

Old March 31st 04, 05:02 PM
Nura_Sheed

It was answered properly! I sent him to Google.

Now you're JTTP - Shame on you Mr.A!

SP, Abrasha is absolutely correct. You must know how to use Google!
.....search for the term "Abrasha" :-)You will discover "The Abrasha
Files", A collections of Abrasha's jewels indeed!

quick link:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ab...web.net&rnum=1
Old April 1st 04, 04:50 AM
Abrasha

-SP- wrote:

Now you're JTTP - Shame on you Mr.A!

JTTP?
Join The Team player?
Joint Tactics, Techniques and Procedures (for Antiterrorism)

'groups' first page for the search term "cabochon" are from
rec.crafts.jewelry - and none that I see explain what a cabochon
is...)

You don't seem to know how to google either!

I got 16 pages with definitions alone! And 800 web sites that

mention
cabochons
in one way/form or another!

I'm very happy for you. You deserve an -SP- 18ct gold very shiny
medal,

I'm looking forward to receiving it from you. You can find my address online.
If you need help finding it, let me know.

but did you see that I used the Google link 'Groups' for a
better description of 'cabochon', and it lead me nowhere?

That's precisely my point; I rest my case! You DO NOT KNOW how to use Google!
The fact that you went to "Groups" and not to "Web" clearly illustrates that!

I'm getting sick and tired of this thread. AND your demonstrated ignorance
regarding the use of Google, or any search engine for that matter. You just
don't know how to do a search, period. I suggest you take a look at
http://searchenginewatch.com/ and study it thoroughly, you might learn a thing
or two about web searches. Pay special attention to "Web Searching Tips" at
http://searchenginewatch.com/facts/index.php You need it!

Hasn't it occured to you or anyone else to just type "What is a cabochon" in
the
Google search box? I mean, what would be more basic? Instead of asking that
same question here, asking the question from Google would have provide HUNDREDS
of correct answers! The VERY FIRST result is "WEB DEFINITIONS FOR CABOCHON",
with all the links one could possibly want!

Please do not show your ignorance in such an obvious way. It's very
unattractive and unbecoming.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old April 1st 04, 04:50 AM
Don T

"Nura_Sheed" wrote in message

It was answered properly! I sent him to Google.

Now you're JTTP - Shame on you Mr.A!

SP, Abrasha is absolutely correct. You must know how to use Google!
....search for the term "Abrasha" :-)You will discover "The Abrasha
Files", A collections of Abrasha's jewels indeed!

quick link:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ab...web.net&rnum=1

ROTFLMAO. Such pathetic sensitivity. Such overdone pathos. Do a search on
me. HeH! Might just burn your tender ears.

--

Don Thompson

"The only stupid questions are those that should have been asked, but
weren't, or those that have been asked and answered over and over, but the
answers not listened to." Peter Rowe

Old April 1st 04, 07:53 AM
Paul

If a picture is worth a thousand words then feel free to visit my site
which ought to be worth several hundred thousands words since I've got
hundreds of pictures of cabs :-) Mine are glass -- they can also be
stone, etc. The shape for the glass ones is achieved using a
combination of grinding and heat.

Merriam-Webster (www.m-w.com) has this definition for a cabochon:

"a gem or bead cut in convex form and highly polished but not faceted"

Also, gun shops are a source for tumblers (tumblers are also used to
polish brass casings). Gun shop prices are usually less than
lapidary/jewelry supply houses.

Hope this helps,

- Paul
Izm Studio
www.izm.com

"Keith" wrote in message
. ..
Tumbled stones.

I'm not privy to what Cabochons are.

Keith

Cement Mixer as rock tumbler NovySan Glass 3 October 7th 04 01:51 PM
Paradise Rock & Gem Club Show roxan Beads 18 April 19th 04 05:13 AM
River Rock Beads starlia Beads 12 February 27th 04 04:26 AM
"shining" up a rock marie Beads 0 July 11th 03 01:55 AM