commercial manufacture of lenses and mirrors

Old January 5th 04, 03:19 PM
Allan Adler

Default commercial manufacture of lenses and mirrors

I tried posting this on sci.astro and got no replies. Maybe this is a
better place to ask.

Books on amateur telescope making emphasize that machining lenses and
mirrors is prone to produce astigmatism, whereas hand grinding lenses
and mirrors tends to randomize errors and thereby avoid stigmatism.
On the other hand, I haven't heard any complaints about astigmatism in
commercially ground lenses and mirrors, and I doubt very much that they
are ground by hand.

So, what I would like to know is this: what are the machines and processes
used by commercial manufacturers of telescopes and what book explains them
in detail?

Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

* *
* Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial *
* Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect *
* in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston *
* metropolitan area. *
* *
Old January 5th 04, 03:26 PM
Moonraker

"Allan Adler" wrote in message

I tried posting this on sci.astro and got no replies. Maybe this is a
better place to ask.

It isn't. And it wasn't the last time you asked a telescope question,
either.

Books on amateur telescope making emphasize that machining lenses and
mirrors is prone to produce astigmatism, whereas hand grinding lenses
and mirrors tends to randomize errors and thereby avoid stigmatism.
On the other hand, I haven't heard any complaints about astigmatism in
commercially ground lenses and mirrors, and I doubt very much that they
are ground by hand.

So, what I would like to know is this: what are the machines and processes
used by commercial manufacturers of telescopes and what book explains them
in detail?

Why don't you just contact the commercial manufacturers and ask THEM?

Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

*

*
* Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial

*
* Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect

*
* in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston

*
* metropolitan area.

*
*

*

If you aren't as you say anywhere near Boston, whyinhell are you posting off
a MIT server? Too cheap to get an ISP of your own?

Old January 5th 04, 05:24 PM
Bill Browne

I'm beginning to understand why so few people post to this NG. If this is
the greeting you get...

Try posting your question to rec.crafts.metalworking, with a "OT" in the
header. The place is full of knowlegeable people who are willing to discuss
just about any topic.

--
Bill Browne
www.edgefinderstudios.com

news

Old January 5th 04, 08:52 PM
Charles A. Peavey

You have a great point there Bill. The last and only time I posted to this
group until now, I got a number of really uncalled-for replies and a few
which actually solved my On-Topic question about cutting lubricants for
glass. Interestingly the few replies I got of value were direct e-mails. It
appears that there a number of knowledgable lurkers hanging around. I
certainly don't condone spamminga NG but I didn't find this question all
that offensive espcially when this is a lean NG. The one you mentions gets
hundreds of posts daily and you are right they do try to help even OT
posters (sometimes ad nauseum)

Best regards,
Charles

"Bill Browne" wrote in message
I'm beginning to understand why so few people post to this NG. If this is
the greeting you get...

Try posting your question to rec.crafts.metalworking, with a "OT" in the
header. The place is full of knowlegeable people who are willing to

discuss
just about any topic.

--
Bill Browne
www.edgefinderstudios.com

news

Old January 5th 04, 10:45 PM
Javahut

"Charles A. Peavey" wrote in message
[...]

"Moonraker" wrote in message
news

[...]

Thought top posting in NGs was for newbies?

Geez Charles, you really hold a grudge, I had to go back a ways to find that
thread, 11/2003, and your question was answered in the 2nd post after by jk
Sinrod, did you want more answers or different answers? The rest was just
friendly jabber, total waste of bandwidth, really, but friendly all the
same.

and sometimes a post just rubs the wrong way, like this one obviously did.
Next thing you know, you'll want to know how to make things in glass
"perfectly flat" , oops, answered that one already way back in November.

While admitting sometimes saying nothing is better than responding to some
posts, some days folks (me?) just get up on the wrong side of the bed and
feel like letting off a little steam to a post that seems to be asking for
it.

Too hot here? Oh well.

Old January 5th 04, 11:33 PM
John Sutter

You might want to ask on the ATM mailing list:
http://www.atmsite.org/contrib/Poulson/faq/#13
or better yet, search their archives first:
http://www.system.missouri.edu/atm/

-- John

Old January 6th 04, 02:58 AM
Mike Firth

Go to the site for the Mirror Lab at the University of Arizona which makes
huge cast glass mirrors and ask them.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

Old January 6th 04, 03:51 PM
Bill Browne

"Top posting"?

--
Bill Browne
www.edgefinderstudios.com

"Javahut" wrote in message

[...]

news

Old January 6th 04, 03:59 PM
Bill Browne

The intelligent response I was expecting....

--
Bill Browne
www.edgefinderstudios.com

.. .