OT: easy bake oven

Old January 2nd 18, 07:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian Christiansen

Default OT: easy bake oven

On the cooking with Jack show, he recently did a test of the new model
of the easy bake oven: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOuNYODDJnE.

He talks as if giving an easy bake oven (or real cooking equipment, I
will say a bit more on that a bit later on) is only an appropriate gift
for a girl, which is weird since both he and his son cook.

There is a picture on the box of a boy and a girl using the oven to make
cookies and Jack says something like "It has a picture of a boy
assisting a girl make some cookies, smart guy." Well, how does he know
that that, the girl could be the one that is assisting.

I also think that the phrase "...smart guy" could be taken 2 ways. The
1st is that cooking is a practical skill that men as well as women
should learn. The other is that learning how to cook is a way to "get
girls."

I said I would comment on getting an Easy Bake Oven (or other cooking
toys). I personally would not get "cooking toys" as a present for a
child, rather, I would get real cooking gear such as measuring spoons,
measuring cups, whisk, baking trays, etc.

I would even include a knife (though perhaps a smaller one for smaller
hands), but only with the parents permission, and only if the child made
a commitment that he or she would only use it under parental supervision.

Much like if I were to get a child a sewing machine, it might be a
smaller one for smaller hands, but it would be a real one, and not a
"toy" one. I learned to sew on a regular size machine, but I did not
show an interest until I was in my teens, if I recall correctly, and my
hands were about as big as they are now, so I did not need a smaller
machine.

As a PS, the other day I was talking to my sister, and the fact that I
have a 2nd generation Kindle Fire, and that she has the latest
generation (6th or 7th, I think).

She just loves it. I asked her about the "Alexa" program, and she said
it does not really come into play unless you are shopping. She also
said although it is designed to take you to Amazon as a sort of default
when shopping, it is not difficult at all to shop at other sites such as
Barnes and Noble, Walmart.com, Ebay, whatever. Just wanted to point out
that her experience with the newer Kindle is very positive, or at least
that is how she relayed it to me.

Brian Christiansen
Old January 3rd 18, 03:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Hello Brian,
I like your comments about the oven users but I would worry that kids would want to use it when you are gone. Parents both working to make ends meet and kids are left at home alone. Probably burn the house down so to speak. Kids are more into eating especially fast foods. It is good to see you posting again as I thought you might of left this group.
Sandy$
Old January 3rd 18, 07:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Default easy bake oven

wrote in message

Hello Brian,
I like your comments about the oven users but I would worry that kids
would want to use it when you are gone. Parents both working to make ends
meet and kids are left at home alone. Probably burn the house down so to
speak. Kids are more into eating especially fast foods. It is good to see
you posting again as I thought you might of left this group.
Sandy$

Easy Bake ovens were made about 60 years ago and my parents put mine away
and only got it out for me & sister on week ends when mom was at home to
supervise us making our cakes when she was also baking..
Barbara in Florida