Paper Piecing Demo - what would you want to see or know?

Old October 26th 05, 09:01 PM
Kate G.

Default Paper Piecing Demo - what would you want to see or know?

I'm doing a paper piecing demo at our next guild meeting. I've done paper
piecing for a number of projects and I feel comfortable doing it... but
maybe you all could help me out also.

For those who do paper piece...

1) Any favorite tips or tricks you are glad you learned along the way
2) You top 2 recommendations for paper piecing beginners
3) Any fun patterns to demo you can recommend?
4) Anything else???

For those who have never paper pieced...

1) Why? Fear? Confusion? or just prefer not to?
2) If you are "afraid" ... what is it you are afraid of? Please be
specific.
3) If you have tried and become frustrated... what was the source of your
frustration?
4) Anything else???

Thanks for you input!

Kate in MI

Old October 26th 05, 09:17 PM
Tricia

Kate, that guild meeting isn't in Petoskey is it?

Okay, having just done my very first paper pieced block last night
here's what I found helpful and/or frustrating about my experience

Piece done: Pineapple Block

Frustration: Looked really funky the first few rounds

Helpful: Fold on the just stitched seam line and trim 1/4 inch from
what was hanging over the edge

Helpful: use BIG pieces of fabric to make sure you have the space
covered -- I have one log/stripe that is like a mm short of leaving a
gap in the middle of my block -- Alex Anderson's recommendation was to
cut approximately to what the piece actually was -- this was NOT a good
suggestion for me, those pieces were more frustrating for me trying to
make sure I had them placed JUST right so as to not create a gap. Got
sick of it and went BIG.

Frustration: Attempting to do it on my own without seeing it done
(pictures in the book were one thing but actually seeing someone sit
down and do it in front of me may have made it go easier)

Suggestion: If you can somehow get what you are doing from your point
of view (literally) put up on a big screen that would make for a great
demo for someone like me

Your guild sounds fun, I wanna join that one!

Until last night, I was terrified to do it, was sure I'd mess something
up. (can't be anymore specific than that, I was just sure *something*
anything would go wrong *snicker*)

Tricia
====
http://photos.yahoo.com/chirparrooo

Old October 26th 05, 09:24 PM
joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska

I just taught a paper piecing class. (Fons and Porter's New York
Beauty pattern).

Fold and crease the paper along the sewing lines *before* you start
sewing. Makes it easier to trim the seam allowances and to tear off
the paper later.

Use an *add a quarter* or *add an eighth* ruler to trim the seam
allowances.

Open toe foot on the sewing machine; adjust the stitch length to
smaller than usual. I use a 14 (or 90) needle.

I made a sample of the arc piecing for each step of the process for
each student or table of students. That way they could hold it in
their hands, twist it about and ask questions.

Great fun was had by all. After 3 hours, each student left with one
beautifully made New York Beauty block.

joan

Old October 26th 05, 09:26 PM
Tricia

One More thing -- ease the needle down at your point BEFORE lowering
your foot to make sure you are starting at the right point -- if you
ease slowly enough you can adjust the block's placement before stitches
are made.

Tricia
====
http://photos.yahoo.com/chirparrooo

Old October 26th 05, 10:25 PM
teleflora

"Kate G." wrote in message
I'm doing a paper piecing demo at our next guild meeting. I've done paper
piecing for a number of projects and I feel comfortable doing it... but
maybe you all could help me out also.

For those who do paper piece...

1) Any favorite tips or tricks you are glad you learned along the way
2) You top 2 recommendations for paper piecing beginners
3) Any fun patterns to demo you can recommend?
4) Anything else???

This is weird. I just signed up to do one at our annual mini workshop.

I have a couple of tricks I use. Number 1 is that I use a spot of glue
stick glue to anchor piece number 1 to the wrong side of the paper. The
second thing I do is that I use 2 long pins (I use the flower head pins) to
pin the subsequent pieces in place, in preparation for sewing. I make sure
the pins penetrate the paper, I pin out at the edges of the fabric piece, I
turn it over and make sure the piece is wide enough. I can tell by where
the pins are whether it clears both edges. Does this make any sense? I
have my stitching line and the pins should be on the outside edges of that
line.

Another thing that works for me is that even though I use paper designed for
paper piecing, since I work mostly in miniature, sometimes the paper is hard
to remove. I spray the paper with a fine mist of water and let it dry. It
tears out a lot easier for me.

My biggest mistake is trying to scrimp by and not using a big enough piece
of fabric.

I look forward to reading other people's comments.

Cindy

Old October 26th 05, 10:32 PM
Patti

I did read the other posts Kate!
So, adding a bit:
However many seconds extra it might take to cut your pieces to the
correct shape, it is *worth* it. This is especially true with
triangles.
Test your piece the right way round on the other side of the paper from
you, so that you are sure you will have it the correct side up and that
it is orientated correctly and so on ...
Check twice and sew once (with those reduced size stitches, unpicking is
slightly more difficult).
Sew beyond the intersections - pulling the paper off will put a strain
on the last one or two stitches.
I always used to reverse stitch, but now I believe it makes too much of
a lump. Might not matter if the pieces are big enough - but always do
it beyond the intersections.
However much I have done, I still always hold the whole up to the light
for every piece.

My favourite piece for demonstrating is square in a square, because you
can put as many as you like and it goes together really well (you can do
it sequentially round the centre square, or opposite sides - slight
difference in appearance).
PP Log cabin is good to know.
Mariner's Compass is a beauty to show.

It might be fun to show them how to do paper piecing without actually
sewing through the paper. Judy Mathieson does this nowadays. All that
happens is that you fold back the paper before you sew. Everything else
is the same. It means there is no paper tearing away, and you can use
the pattern more than once.
You could mention the fact that some patterns are done in sections to be
joined later (but this is not usually a beginners' trick).

Oh dear - how long is your meeting? g
Have a great time.
..
In message , Kate G.
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 26th 05, 10:42 PM
teleflora

"joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just taught a paper piecing class. (Fons and Porter's New York
Beauty pattern).

Fold and crease the paper along the sewing lines *before* you start
sewing. Makes it easier to trim the seam allowances and to tear off
the paper later.

Use an *add a quarter* or *add an eighth* ruler to trim the seam
allowances.

Open toe foot on the sewing machine; adjust the stitch length to
smaller than usual. I use a 14 (or 90) needle.

I made a sample of the arc piecing for each step of the process for
each student or table of students. That way they could hold it in
their hands, twist it about and ask questions.

Great fun was had by all. After 3 hours, each student left with one
beautifully made New York Beauty block.

joan

Ooooo! What a great idea. A sample. We won't have machines at our
workshop, I don't think. Think they will be mostly instructional.

Cindy

Old October 26th 05, 10:43 PM
teleflora

"Tricia" wrote in message
oups.com...
One More thing -- ease the needle down at your point BEFORE lowering
your foot to make sure you are starting at the right point -- if you
ease slowly enough you can adjust the block's placement before stitches
are made.

Tricia

I start sewing a few stitches ahead of the line. That way I can ease into
the line. The other row will cross those stitches making it even more
secure.

Cindy

Old October 26th 05, 10:47 PM
Mary in Washington

I too have just taught a paper piecing class.....LOL Everything I was
going to say has pretty much been covered except I cut a ruff template
out of every piece I need (a lot are doubles) and I fold a cut strip of
fabric up, lay the template on it, and cut with my rotory cutter. When
I am done I have a peice about an 1/2 larger on every side then I
need. (EQ5 has the option of printing out templates and you can delete
the ones you don't need in the printing mode. Watch out for pieces
that are reversed and odd shaped but all of my students were amazed how
much fabric they did not waste.

Mary

A Friend Is Like A Good Bra. Hard to Find, Supportive, Comfortable, And
Always Close To Your Heart!
http://community.webshots.com/user/moondancewa

Old October 26th 05, 11:34 PM
D Curtis

I'm a number 3, but I still like knowing how to do PP. The frustration
was getting gaps of non coverage because I didnt make my piece of fabric
large enough. What I learned that helped was realizing that one more
seam (to add the missing bit) would hardly show at all.
The other problem I have is that Im unable to visualize what way a piece
of precut (to size and shape) fabric should lay so I cut HUGE pieces of
fabric and punt... er.. trim to size after sewing. I'm spatially
confuzzeled.
Diana

Paper Piecing question Ann Quilting 6 July 25th 05 01:46 AM
foundation paper piecing vs english paper piecing?? Frank & Renee Quilting 3 July 18th 05 05:18 AM
Paper Piecing Cheryl Quilting 12 January 4th 04 08:01 PM
paper piecing tip Leafyeb Quilting 8 October 19th 03 08:15 PM
paper piecing questions Elizabeth Young Quilting 30 September 3rd 03 04:17 AM