Spelling OT

Old October 26th 05, 05:47 PM
Mary in Washington

Default Spelling OT

Thought I would put this on since there was a thread about spelling a
while back. It is really interesting.

Only smart people can read this....
Olny srmat poelpe can.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg.
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at
Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a
wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be
in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed
it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed
ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh and
I awlyas tghuhot
slpeling was ipmorantt!

Old October 26th 05, 06:07 PM
Tina

I LOVE it! I immediately had to send this to my mother, who is ANAL
about spelling!

Thanks!
Hugs,
Tina

Old October 26th 05, 06:26 PM
Bonnie NJ

I read the message with no problems - does this mean I'm smart or simply
cannot spell?

--
Bonnie
NJ
oups.com...

Old October 26th 05, 06:51 PM
Tina

Ok, sent to mom with the header, "LOL, so there!" This of course, is
what I get back....

"SMART....smart...really????? I believe almost any idiot could read
this basically because most seem to think this way already and spell
this way to boot!
Love"

I think it's cuz I'z smart! so there!

Tina

Old October 26th 05, 07:00 PM
Marlys in Indiana

Could it mean that we are intelligent, bad spellers? G No, I could read
it
and I am one of those who is a little anal about proper spelling as well.
But
it is cute.
Marlys in Indiana

.net...

Old October 26th 05, 07:40 PM
Julia Altshuler

Mary in Washington wrote:
Thought I would put this on since there was a thread about spelling a
while back. It is really interesting.

Here's more information:

http://www.snopes.com/language/apocryph/cambridge.asp

--Lia

Old October 26th 05, 07:41 PM
Pat in Virginia

Tahkns a mliloin, Mray!
Fnuny!
Pat in Vriingia

Old October 26th 05, 07:46 PM
teleflora

"Mary in Washington" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thought I would put this on since there was a thread about spelling a
while back. It is really interesting.

Only smart people can read this....
Olny srmat poelpe can.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg.
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at
Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a
wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be
in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed
it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed
ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh and
I awlyas tghuhot
slpeling was ipmorantt!

I've seen this before and I think it is fascinating. I had a discussion a
few years back with a friend who was bemoaning the fact that kids are not
taught to read phonetically any more. She was of the opinion that phonics
gives a better basis for learning. I really had no opinion one way or the
other. I was taught to read phonetically back in the early 60's, but I have
no trouble reading a paragraph such as this.

Any thoughts?

Cindy

Old October 26th 05, 09:23 PM
Patti

Well ... You've had a bit of reading practice since then g
..
In message N9Q7f.123$0M1.113@dukeread12, teleflora
writes
I've seen this before and I think it is fascinating. I had a discussion a
few years back with a friend who was bemoaning the fact that kids are not
taught to read phonetically any more. She was of the opinion that phonics
gives a better basis for learning. I really had no opinion one way or the
other. I was taught to read phonetically back in the early 60's, but I have
no trouble reading a paragraph such as this.

Any thoughts?

Cindy

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 26th 05, 09:25 PM
WitchyStitcher

Gee, and I thought it was only because I 'm a special ed teacher.

Actually, a good reader predicts and fills in, and that is why you can
read it. A poor reader reads word-by-word with a great deal of effort
going into the reading, and would not be able to read it. A while ago,
a passage with the "count the instances of the letter "f" Most people
can't do it because their minds don't process the word "OF" unless it
contributes significantly to meaning.

FINISHED FILES ARE THE
RESULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIFIC
STUDY COMBINED WITH THE