Need date help

Old October 11th 05, 03:28 AM
Ginger in CA

Liz
Nicely done!!!
I did a cross-stitch table cloth for my mother in the mid-70s, and
remember I got it from either Herrschners or Paragon Needlecraft.

Your family will be so proud to have this!

This quilt is similar to one my sisters and I were supposed to do
together for my parents' 45th anniversary in 1988. Operative words are
"supposed to". The quilt is in my trunk now, my father gave it to me
after my mother passed in '96.

Ginger in CA
thinking it might be a nice break to do something like that
again.......or not! )

Old October 11th 05, 03:44 AM
Ellison

Howdy!
Brings back memories, huh?
My embroidery kits of this type, from Herrschnerr, of course,
were bought and worked on in the 1970s and 1980s.
I kept a couple of those older catalogs; some things haven't
changed much. g
http://www.herrschners.com/

Congrats on Finishing the quilt, Liz.
Btw, you're on your own as far as dating goes;
wear protection and take along a cell phone. ;-D

Ragmop/Sandy

ups.com...

Old October 11th 05, 03:55 AM
Nann Hilyard

Sandy, there is one big change: the fabric. My Bucilla quilts (my x-stitch
and the pansy applique that my mother made for me, and the two kits) are
100% cotton. The embroidery pieces I have collected -- most complete, some
unfinished, some unstarted -- are all cotton or all linen, nice and heavy.

One of my favorite vintage pieces is a UFO, about 8" x 15". I couldn't
resist it--paid $4, about twice too much--it's stained too boot. But
stamped on the margin (which would have been cut away had it been finished)
is the product number and the words "Radio Scarf."

If a dresser scarf goes on your dresser, then it's only logical that a radio
scarf goes on your radio!

Nann

.. .

Old October 11th 05, 04:24 AM
Taria

That is what I thought when I first read the header. : )
I would guess mid 60-mid 70-'s, but that is a guess.
The really important thing is that you finished a
beautiful quilt Liz. I like the idea someone had about
the start and end dates and the names of those involved.
What a cool thing you have accomplished.
Taria

Old October 11th 05, 04:37 AM
Elizabeth Wilson

My husband gave me a kit like this for our 10th anniversary in 1978
(finished that sucker in 1997 while we were living in Venezuela). After we
moved to Texas in 1981, I saw many of this type of finished quilt for sale.
So, I would suggest late 70s to early 80s, although I know prestamped cross
stitch kits have been around for ages.

Elizabeth in Spring, Texas.

Old October 11th 05, 04:53 AM

Liz, it's a beauty and you have done an outstanding job. I would guess
it's a kit from the seventies. Lovely idea for the label. Nancycog in MD

Old October 11th 05, 05:21 AM
Patti S

Liz
Can't help you with the dating, but had to let you know that your quilt
is amazing. You should be very proud.

Patti in Seattle

"forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has
crushed it"
=AD=ADmark twain=AD=AD

Old October 11th 05, 06:18 AM
Liz A.

I'm overwhelmed by all the kind compliments. Thank you all. The
sentimental journey this quilt has taken is pretty powerful. I will be
including a letter to my cousin's wife so that she may keep it for
Amanda (she's only 7). I've just uploaded a jpg of the planned label.
http://community.webshots.com/user/dittosneak

I'm going to go with the consensus of around 1970 for a date. Fabric
has been treated and the label will be printed tomorrow. The quilt is
HUGE, 85" x 100". I was astounded at how large it really was. There are
a couple stains that didn't come out when I washed it in the bathtub
with Orvus. The top muslin is so delicate and fairly loosely woven that
I'm afraid to try anything else. The stains aren't that large and are
on the sides. I'm treating them as part of the quilt's history.

Thanks again, you guys are wonderful. I'm so glad I found you.

LizA.
Kent, WA

Old October 11th 05, 07:55 AM
Patti

Just wanted to pop in and say how lovely the quilt is.
I have never seen cross stitch and quilting together like this. What a
beautiful idea someone had; and you have completed it magnificently.
What a lucky little girl to have such an heirloom.
..
In message . com, Liz
A. writes
I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me with some date history.
About 7 years ago I told my cousin I would finish a quilt that his
mother had started (she had passed away from breast cancer.) It was a
cross stitch kit with the cross stitch and quiliting design pre-stamped
on the top fabric. My aunt had completed the cross stitch and about 1/4
of the hand quilting. Shortly after the quilt was sent to me to finish,
health issues got in the way. Long story short, I've FINALLY finished
it and want to put a label documenting the quilt history before I send
it back to the granddaughter my aunt never got to meet.

Hopefully SOMEBODY out there might remember when these kits were
popular. I'm guessing around 1970. Her 3 sons aren't much help here.

The pictures are on my Webshots site, under "Cross Stitch Quilt."
http://community.webshots.com/user/dittosneak

Much thanks for your help.

LizA
Kent, WA

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 11th 05, 12:20 PM
Tina

It is absolutely beautiful and yes, what a precious and wonderful
heirloom!

Hugs,
Tina

Finding posts by date ? Rusty1215 Yarn 3 October 8th 04 01:58 PM
RCTY-ers, lets make us a 'date' (!!) Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 31 May 24th 04 05:39 AM
OT Date Bars, aka Matrimonial Cake Dawne Peterson Needlework 2 July 24th 03 11:46 AM