OT Martian Salad?

Old October 6th 05, 09:28 PM
Tina

eeeuuuuwwwww grooooossssss Debra!

You described it perfectly - that is EXACTLY what I have always thought
of when one of my older relatives says a "congealed salad" - bleck - I
think cold chicken fat on the top of chicken broth.

Sliiiiimmmmmmeeeeeeeeeee

Tina

Old October 7th 05, 03:33 AM
C & S

Your pudding brought back childhood memories. Mom used to make a pistachio
pudding cake. A green cake in the 70's was not that cool! We ate it but
thought it was disgusting. I should make a recipe just for nostalgia.

Carole
Champlain, NY

"Tina" wrote in message
oups.com...
OK Ann, this is secretly my most favorite dessert. I know, I hate to
admit, I have to hide to eat it or make it for myself when everyone is
gone for one reason or another. Otherwise, they all stand around and
make fun of me or make commentary, "Eeeuuuwwww, grosssssssss
Mooooooooom"

I LOVE Pistachio Pudding! THERE, I admit it! I even sometimes make
myself the instant kind and just eat it out of the mayonnaise jar I use
to shake it in, with a spoon and then I use my fingers to wipe the
inside of the jar clean! So THERE!

This is my favorite recipe. For anyone who is inviting me over to
dinner, please take note of the ingredients. ;-)

My DS's favorite is "Green Jello" - My EX-MIL makes it, I have no idea
what all goes in it besides green jello and pineapple - I'll find a
recipe for it one day so that I can make it for him - but in the mean
time, it is his "Grandma treat" when he goes to visit his dad now so I
won't impinge on that. Besides, I think the stuff is "Eeeuuuwwww,
grosssssssss Billlllllllllllly!"

Hugs,
Tina

Old October 7th 05, 03:35 AM
Debra

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 20:27:34 GMT, Georg wrote:

Well, there's the older word to describe it too... Aspic.

Ack! I was trying to avoid that word too. I've run across a
different dish, but had the same feeling about it.

Pass the vulture vomit, please.

Sorry to dredge up bad food thoughts, but glad you are laughing about
it.

-georg
thank goodness there's pizza in the oven.

Ah, pizza. Goodness on a platter of bread. Yum.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old October 7th 05, 05:15 AM
Dee in Oz

When I had my tonsils out I got mashed vegies !!! I don't mind vegies
all mashed together especially made into bubble and squeak but i wanted
jelly and icecream like little sis had ! I was still a kid (12). I was
in the childrens ward with all age groups as the hospital was
undergoing renovations. I did feel special as I had to teach an old (
at about 80 she was old to me then) how to crochet granny squares.

Dee in Oz

Old October 7th 05, 02:06 PM
the black rose

C & S wrote:

Your pudding brought back childhood memories. Mom used to make a pistachio
pudding cake. A green cake in the 70's was not that cool! We ate it but
thought it was disgusting. I should make a recipe just for nostalgia.

Carole
Champlain, NY

Hehehe, I LOVED the pistachio pudding cake. My mom didn't make it
nearly often enough for my taste.

--

the black rose
Research Associate in the Field of Child Development and Human

-------- __o
----- -\. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )
Old October 7th 05, 02:37 PM
Elizabeth Young

Georg wrote:
NightMist wrote:

It's one of those jello things....lime jello, cool whip, mini
marshmallows...what else?

Mum makes lime jello with canned pineapple and cottage cheese.

Pretty much the principle is the same... let the jello half-set, then
stir in the other ingredients. Then let it finish molding. The important
thing is never use *fresh* pineapple- the jello won't set.

My mom makes lime jello with shredded carrots and canned pineapple.
Only way I'll eat raw carrots.

liz young in cool california
Old October 7th 05, 03:23 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

When DD had her tonsils taken out I brought her banana popscicles and the
nurses kept them in the ice machine so she could have as many as she wanted.
They are still her favorites.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
Can't abide green jello in particular since childhood when my tonsils came
out. That seemed to be all the hospital served to tonsil patients. And I
had been promised ice cream! All I could eat! Green jello -blech!
Roberta in D

Old October 7th 05, 03:25 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

Reckon you wouldn't care for head cheese then.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Georg" wrote in message
Debra wrote:
They would be called Congealed Salad by another of my aunts. Her
favorite has green peas in it. She hasn't figured out that once
something has been termed congealed in my hearing, I can't eat it.
The word just makes me think of the solidified meat renderings found
around tinned meats and suddenly I'm not hungry at all. I'd be
thrilled if she would just say Jelled or Jello instead, but that will
never happen.

Well, there's the older word to describe it too... Aspic. Like calves
tongue in aspic. And because that is the recipe I think of when I hear the
word "aspic" I cannot find it appealing. I also know that it's because of
the gelled broth from the animal that it is created thus... and yeah, I'm
too queasy to contemplate it.

Old October 7th 05, 03:38 PM
Georg

SNIGDIBBLY wrote:
Reckon you wouldn't care for head cheese then.

Um, no.

Willing to try just about any other kind of cheese though, and I've made
several...

-georg