OT Martian Salad?

Old October 6th 05, 11:03 AM
Georg

Debra wrote:
On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 21:41:31 GMT, Georg wrote:

Mum makes lime jello with canned pineapple and cottage cheese.

Pretty much the principle is the same... let the jello half-set, then
stir in the other ingredients. Then let it finish molding. The important
thing is never use *fresh* pineapple- the jello won't set.

-georg

My aunt makes something similar with strawberry jello, but is doesn't
go in a mold. Lots of cottage cheese, a little cool whip, add dry
packet of jello, stir, add pineapple and marshmallows, stir. Looks
pretty, like fluffy pink clouds. Tastes like someone is trying to
hide the fact that it is cottage cheese.

Mum doesn't add the powder to the cottage cheese- she makes the jello
like it says on the package then mixes in the cheese and pinapple. So
you get an obvious jello with dandruff mixed in. My sweetie cannot bear
to eat it because of that.

The "other" jello salad is cherry jello with carrots and raisins. Gram
makes lemon with nuts and celery.

-georg
Old October 6th 05, 01:11 PM
David & Barbara Schmidt

I've enjoyed reading all the responses and recipe variations. My mom has
made the lime jello, cottage cheese, pineapple stuff for years. We could
always count on having it when company came for dinner. We just called
it "the green stuff".

She has a recipe that she always makes for Thanksgiving that we call
"the pink stuff". It is the only time during the year that I'll eat
coconut.

I think the basic recipe is:

a package strawberry or cherry jello
1 container cool whip
1 can fruit cocktail
1 jar maraschino (sp?) cherries
chopped pecans
coconut
1 can pineapple

It is sooooo good. She makes enough to fill this great big Tupperware
bowl she has, and it's always scraped clean by the end of the day.

Babs

Old October 6th 05, 01:21 PM
D Curtis

I admit, I went willingly.
Di

NightMist wrote:
Ahh...Now what I know as Watergate salad is that green stuff made with
the pistachio instant pudding and the pinapple and cool whip. Hey
lookie! That is what this recipe is! *chuckle*

Obviously the image of Tina licking pistachio pudding out of a
mayonaise jar distracted you.

NightMist

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 14:39:40 -0500, D Curtis
wrote:

http://www.kraftfoods.com/recipes/Sa...gateSalad.html
Its other name is Watergate Salad. I like it, but not enough to make it.
Diana

NightMist wrote:

I find I may need to make something called Martian Salad for the sole
purpose of annoying someone.

It's one of those jello things....lime jello, cool whip, mini
marshmallows...what else?

Anybody got a recipe?

NightMist

Old October 6th 05, 03:03 PM
Taria

Yep. kind of fun to hear all the different ways to do jello that
have become tradition.
There is a raspberry jello torte recipe in our family that
is fondly referred to by my brother as 'vulture vomit'. It looks
kind of odd but is pretty good stuff
Taria

Old October 6th 05, 03:35 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

mmmmmmmmm! I love that stuff. only get it at potlucks any more. I remember
back in the 70's one called Watergate salad. Pistachio pudding, cool whip,
nuts and green jello! I still make Seafoam Salad on rare occassions - made
with blue and green jello, cool whip, pineapple tidbits, bananas and
almonds.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

--
"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge
it, requires brains." -Mary Pettibone Poole

Old October 6th 05, 07:43 PM
Roberta Zollner

Can't abide green jello in particular since childhood when my tonsils came
out. That seemed to be all the hospital served to tonsil patients. And I had
been promised ice cream! All I could eat! Green jello -blech!
Roberta in D

"Tina" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
oups.com...
OK Ann, this is secretly my most favorite dessert. I know, I hate to
admit, I have to hide to eat it or make it for myself when everyone is
gone for one reason or another. Otherwise, they all stand around and
make fun of me or make commentary, "Eeeuuuwwww, grosssssssss
Mooooooooom"

I LOVE Pistachio Pudding! THERE, I admit it! I even sometimes make
myself the instant kind and just eat it out of the mayonnaise jar I use
to shake it in, with a spoon and then I use my fingers to wipe the
inside of the jar clean! So THERE!

This is my favorite recipe. For anyone who is inviting me over to
dinner, please take note of the ingredients. ;-)

My DS's favorite is "Green Jello" - My EX-MIL makes it, I have no idea
what all goes in it besides green jello and pineapple - I'll find a
recipe for it one day so that I can make it for him - but in the mean
time, it is his "Grandma treat" when he goes to visit his dad now so I
won't impinge on that. Besides, I think the stuff is "Eeeuuuwwww,
grosssssssss Billlllllllllllly!"

Hugs,
Tina

Old October 6th 05, 08:36 PM
Debra

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 14:03:04 GMT, Taria
wrote:

Yep. kind of fun to hear all the different ways to do jello that
have become tradition.
There is a raspberry jello torte recipe in our family that
is fondly referred to by my brother as 'vulture vomit'. It looks
kind of odd but is pretty good stuff
Taria

That's too funny! Could you post that recipe?
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old October 6th 05, 08:54 PM
Debra

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 10:03:58 GMT, Georg wrote:

Debra wrote:
On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 21:41:31 GMT, Georg wrote:

Mum makes lime jello with canned pineapple and cottage cheese.

Pretty much the principle is the same... let the jello half-set, then
stir in the other ingredients. Then let it finish molding. The important
thing is never use *fresh* pineapple- the jello won't set.

-georg

My aunt makes something similar with strawberry jello, but is doesn't
go in a mold. Lots of cottage cheese, a little cool whip, add dry
packet of jello, stir, add pineapple and marshmallows, stir. Looks
pretty, like fluffy pink clouds. Tastes like someone is trying to
hide the fact that it is cottage cheese.

Mum doesn't add the powder to the cottage cheese- she makes the jello
like it says on the package then mixes in the cheese and pinapple.

I thought so.

So you get an obvious jello with dandruff mixed in. My sweetie cannot bear
to eat it because of that.

Jello with dandruff, way too funny!

The "other" jello salad is cherry jello with carrots and raisins. Gram
makes lemon with nuts and celery.

-georg

They would be called Congealed Salad by another of my aunts. Her
favorite has green peas in it. She hasn't figured out that once
something has been termed congealed in my hearing, I can't eat it.
The word just makes me think of the solidified meat renderings found
around tinned meats and suddenly I'm not hungry at all. I'd be
thrilled if she would just say Jelled or Jello instead, but that will
never happen.

Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old October 6th 05, 09:27 PM
Georg

Debra wrote:
They would be called Congealed Salad by another of my aunts. Her
favorite has green peas in it. She hasn't figured out that once
something has been termed congealed in my hearing, I can't eat it.
The word just makes me think of the solidified meat renderings found
around tinned meats and suddenly I'm not hungry at all. I'd be
thrilled if she would just say Jelled or Jello instead, but that will
never happen.

Well, there's the older word to describe it too... Aspic. Like calves
tongue in aspic. And because that is the recipe I think of when I hear
the word "aspic" I cannot find it appealing. I also know that it's
because of the gelled broth from the animal that it is created thus...
and yeah, I'm too queasy to contemplate it.

Pass the vulture vomit, please.

-georg
thank goodness there's pizza in the oven.