OT a blog problem

Old October 4th 05, 03:30 AM
Polly Esther

Default OT a blog problem

Thus far, I've done okay as our language changes. Nowadays, if you have a
gripe, a complaint or want to kick the stuffing out of somebody, you have
"issues". That's all right. I've adjusted. I can even remember when gay
meant happy. However, there's a word bouncing about now that I am clueless
as to its meaning. What in the Sam Hill is **blog**? Polly

Old October 4th 05, 03:39 AM
marbles_2

It's short for Web Log....which are personal webpages where people just
yammer on and on about stuff (like politics or their children or what
they have for dinner every week). The political ones are the people the
media quotes when they say "According to bloggers......" You can
even have a blog about your quilts if you want. Anyone can be a
journalist online!!!

Annie

Old October 4th 05, 04:03 AM
Polly Esther

Well, thank you, Annie. I had no notion what / whom they were quoting.
Much akin, it seems to "full of sound and fury and signifying nothing".
However, I think I'll just whip out blog when around my great-grandchildren
and see if they're impressed. Yes. That might do it. Polly

oups.com...

Old October 4th 05, 04:09 AM
Taria

Dear Polly. I am quite sure you already impress them. You
sure do impress us. They have heard your Christmas joke?
Taria

Old October 4th 05, 04:23 AM
Polly Esther

I might have missed one, however, when they get to be about two years old,
they're pretty much aware of my condition. Polly

Old October 4th 05, 05:53 AM
Listpig

Blog = weblog.

See http://www.bigwales.com/999458.htm for a good explanation.

--pig

On 10/3/05 21:30, in article
et, "Polly Esther"

Old October 4th 05, 08:03 AM
Patti

While you're at it, then, Polly, you could also try including 'bling'.
I've mentioned it once or twice with my two little pupils and they do a
slight double-take g
(As far as I know, 'bling' is ostentatious glitz eg lots of bright
jewellery, or glitter on clothes, no way understated! It is a noun g)

I'm grateful to Annie too. I knew blog was a contraction of web log;
but that didn't help me at all gg Now I know. Such a relief to be at
least on the fringe of the 21st century)
..
In message et, Polly
Esther writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 4th 05, 12:29 PM
Georg

Polly Esther wrote:
Thus far, I've done okay as our language changes. Nowadays, if you have a
gripe, a complaint or want to kick the stuffing out of somebody, you have
"issues". That's all right. I've adjusted. I can even remember when gay
meant happy. However, there's a word bouncing about now that I am clueless
as to its meaning. What in the Sam Hill is **blog**? Polly

Some examples:
http://runningscared.org/
http://georgresearch.blogspot.com/
http://www.livejournal.com/community/kittypix/
http://www.laren.blogspot.com/

They can have a theme, or not. It's up to the blogger - one who keeps a
blog.

-georg
Old October 4th 05, 06:01 PM
Sandy Foster

"Taria" wrote in message
Dear Polly. I am quite sure you already impress them. You
sure do impress us. They have heard your Christmas joke?
Taria

Your "condition" is delightful, and I'm positive that they adore you!
As for blogs, I can't imagine pouring out my heart and soul for the
entire world to read.... Though I have run across one or two that were
quite useful in terms of showing pictures of how to use certain
equipment and that sort of thing.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old October 4th 05, 06:07 PM
Pat in Virginia

Polly:
Theoretically, the word blog is a contraction of the words web
log. That was meant to describe what in other times would have
been a diary. Only now it is out there for the whole information
highway population to read!! In my own private language, I also
use the phrase Blog for those endless personal reports that
sometimes appear on chat groups or newsgroups or what ever. Some
people really like blogs. Not I.
PAT in VA/USA

Polly Esther wrote:
Thus far, I've done okay as our language changes. Nowadays, if you have a
gripe, a complaint or want to kick the stuffing out of somebody, you have
"issues". That's all right. I've adjusted. I can even remember when gay
meant happy. However, there's a word bouncing about now that I am clueless
as to its meaning. What in the Sam Hill is **blog**? Polly

Solution to my Pattern Maker problem. F.James Cripwell Needlework 4 July 21st 05 06:24 PM
Kenmore problem Mira Sewing 4 May 26th 05 03:40 AM
Question: sewing chiffon problem [email protected] Sewing 1 May 19th 05 08:59 AM
Bit of a knitting pattern problem Jaime Yarn 23 November 10th 03 07:59 AM