OT, getting skunk smell out of house

Old July 16th 05, 11:37 AM
Marijke

Default OT, getting skunk smell out of house

help!! Please?
My greyhound got skunked last night and D(?) let him in the house. Since
I was already asleep and was pretty foggy for the first few minutes, the
dog got around the house a bit, rubbing his face here and there. The
house REEKS. Oscar (the dog) is fine, I couldn't remember the concoction
for cleaning but I made a mixture of baking soda, dish soap and peroxide
which seemed to do the trick. But the smell in the house... and we're
supposed to have friends over for dinner today. :-(

any ideas?

Thanks,

Marijke,
in Montreal
Old July 16th 05, 12:14 PM
Carolyn McCarty

Oh, gosh, what an experience! The only thing I can think of is vinegar, but
I'm sure someone in this group will save the day with a good suggestion. I
can offer my sympathies, BTDT. Dinner on the patio, perhaps?

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you aren't trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools --Red Green

Old July 16th 05, 01:30 PM
Toni Schneidt

I googled, and found a couple of things you could try. One was to put cider
vinegar in bowls and put them all over the house. It should work in a couple
of hours. Another was to use Downy fabric softener ( 3 parts Downy to 1 part
water), leave on for 15 minutes and rinse. But that is probably hard to do
unless it is on furniture, then you could do that and shampoo the furniture.
The link to these tips is:
www.thriftyfun.com/tf576594.tip
HTH,
Toni

Old July 16th 05, 01:40 PM
nana2b

Maybe this product will help. It is called Zero Pet Odor. It really works
and has no odor of its own. You can order it on the web at zeropetodor.com.
NAYY just a really happy customer. This was the first product that really
works to get not just pet odors out. Dinner on the Patio sounds like a good
idea to me too.

Linda in Tx

Old July 16th 05, 02:13 PM
Denise in NH

and we're supposed to have friends over for dinner today. :-(
any ideas? Thanks, Marijke

Reservations at a good restaurant.

Really, you will not get the smell out of your house for a while, no
matter what you use. I would go to the pet store and buy Skunk Out.
It's for dogs, but it would help your house too, and it doesn't smell
bad. Spray the walls and upholstered areas where the poor doggy rubbed.
When my Beagle got skunked many years ago the vet recommended Massengil
disposable douche as a washing agent. It helped a little. The old
wives tale of washing the dog in tomato juice didn't work for me. Maybe
Febreez will help a little, but all in all, it will take quite a while
before it's all gone. I doubt very much if you'll be able to entertain
your friends today.

Denise

Old July 16th 05, 02:53 PM
KJ

Here's what I've found:
The most well known remedy for removing skunk odor is tomato juice. You'll
need lots though! Put your fur friend in the tub or sink, lightly put a dry
cotton balls in each ear, and just soak them in the juice. You'll need to
work it down to the skin and let it soak a few minutes. Then shampoo with a
mild castile soap.

A more effective treatment is to mix up 1 quart of hydrogen peroxide, 1/4
cup baking soda and 1 tsp. liquid soap. Do not put this in a closed
container as it can explode and only mix up as much as you need to use at a
time. Rinse your kitty with the solution and let it soak in for a couple of
minutes. Then shampoo with a liquid castile soap.

Most times, our cats will get sprayed right in the face. This is a very
tricky area to neutralize the odor. If you are very, very careful, you can
soak a cotton ball with the peroxide mixture, squeeze most of it out, and
then dab around the face. Be especially careful to avoid getting any in the
eyes and put dry cotton balls in the ears before you begin. If the cat was
hit directly in the face, their eyes may be very irritated from the skunk
essence already. A drop or two of a soothing herbal eye drop mixture may
help as well.

When using the peroxide solution be careful not to get it on good clothes,
porous surfaces or home furnishings as it can bleach them, especially if
they are in the sun. A dark furred kitty may show some signs of lightened
fur as well, but it won't be dramatic and is much preferred over the odor of
a skunk encounter.

Old July 16th 05, 03:05 PM
Marijke

thanks, the problem isn't the dog - I took care of that last night with
soap and peroxide. It's the house. :-(

Marijke

Old July 16th 05, 03:10 PM
RAB/SAB

Febreeze has taken some funky odors out of our house amazingly. I would get
the extra stgrngth one tho )

Old July 16th 05, 03:11 PM
Quiltshophopper

I have a good friend who just had the same problem. That canned air
freshener Oust got all the stink out.

Old July 16th 05, 08:41 PM
Taria

I have a new cutting mat that smells kind of skunky.
Maybe as long as your house stinks anyway you could
get a new mat for yourself.
Fresh air and fans and time but golly what a pain.
The things we live with to have dog pals!
Taria