making slumped items from wine bottles

Old October 27th 03, 07:58 AM
Marmaj40

Default making slumped items from wine bottles

Someone that I know had a slumped wine bottle that she bought to be used as a
bowl, or dish. I am really a potter, but thought I might like to try to make
one of these, but don't know a thing about it. My question is could someone
tell me of books I might buy, or give me a brief instruction on how to do this?
OR, even tell me of a web site that would be instructional. I have an electric
kiln that is computer controlled, so I can fire to any cone, and program as
necessary.
Thanks. Martha
Old October 27th 03, 04:38 PM
Elizabeth in UK

There is a tutorial online at http://www.warmglass.com
Old October 28th 03, 03:22 AM
Mike Firth

http://users.ticnet.com/mikefirth/bottle.htm plus you have to be able to
program you kiln to cool slowly - like over 4 hours from 900-600F

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

Old October 28th 03, 09:46 PM
Marmaj40

Thank you all for the information. I will try it, and if I have failures, I
have a good supply of wine bottles. :) My husband has a wine cellar!!!
Martha
Old November 4th 03, 09:57 PM
Jerry Maske

It's pretty easy. The hard part is getting the old label off the
bottle. It leaves an ugly residue if you don't take it off, so see to
that part any way you can. The "slump" part is very direct. 300
degrees an hour in a pottery kiln to about 1300 will give you a very
nice slump. Different bottles will come down differently so you may
need to experiment. Afterward, tie some Christmas ribbon around the
neck, add an inexpensive cheese knife and you've got a present unlikely
to be seen elsewhere, unless I made it.

Good luck,
Jerry

Marmaj40 wrote:

Someone that I know had a slumped wine bottle that she bought to be used as a
bowl, or dish. I am really a potter, but thought I might like to try to make
one of these, but don't know a thing about it. My question is could someone
tell me of books I might buy, or give me a brief instruction on how to do this?
OR, even tell me of a web site that would be instructional. I have an electric
kiln that is computer controlled, so I can fire to any cone, and program as
necessary.
Thanks. Martha

--
? Angel Antics Glass Crafters ?
Fine Art Glass, Kaleidoscopes and

Old November 5th 03, 01:31 AM
Marmaj40

Thank you all for the information. I will give it a try.
Martha